The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Logan, the Sky Angel Cowboy. 7million views so far

Logan, the Sky Angel Cowboy. 7million views so far

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Ah, Boaz, how easy it is to forget.

>>"no one has come back after building an army ..surrounding you, denying you trade or commodities, ready to slaughter you if you don't at least outwardly become Christian"...
The only 'sword' Jesus brought, was the one applied to Christian necks by unbelievers. Yes.. Pericles.. 'Christianity' as demonstrated by Christ is MUCH MUCH MUCH "better" than the violent, murderous rampaging tribes of the 'alternative claimant' to divine authority<<

Your suggestion is that no-one has ever tried to "persuade" anyone to convert to Christianity by force.

As usual, you ignore the Crusades.

Isaac of Etoile wrote in regards to the Knights Hospitaller:

"This dreadful new military order that someone has rather pleasantly called the order of the fifth gospel was founded for the purpose of forcing infidels to accept the faith at the point of the sword. Its members consider that they have every right to attack anyone not confessing Christ's name, leaving him destitute, whereas if they themselves are killed while thus unjustly attacking the pagans, they are called martyrs for the faith."

Oops.

Oh, then there was Spain.

"The Visigoths invaded Spain in roughly 400 CE, introducing Christianity into the area - a particularly intolerant form of Christianity. One rule after another decimated the Jewish communities through dispossession, forced conversion, enslavement, and slaughter. As well as the texts of the actual laws, some anti-Jewish polemics by Isidore, the archbishop of Seville, still survive."

http://www.geocities.com/jewishwarriors/spain1.html

Not to mention the enforced conversion of an entire country, Lithuania, after it had been besieged for by the Teutonic Order for the best part of the fourteenth century. The Teutonic Order were, as we know, acting under orders from Pope John XXII to conquer lands and enforce the adoption of Christianity.

It is so much easier to ignore unpleasant facts, is it not, Boaz?
Posted by Pericles, Saturday, 22 March 2008 9:48:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles.. you are still driving the literary car which is really way past due for a major overhaul.

I did not suggest that certain UN-Biblical events have taken place in the period after Christ. I've never denied it and never will.

You keep on bringing up the Crusades.. and I keep on reminding you that such events have no connection with the teaching and example of Christ, not of even the early history of the young Church.

If you COULD link the Crusades/Inquisition to Christs life or Word then I'd have something to be concerned about, but you haven't, you can't and thus you don't try. You know that if you did, you would have to re-construct so much, and so, you take the cheap easy option of simply picking sad examples of human greed and then seeking to link that in the minds of your readers to the Faith itself.

I said "Christianity".. i.e... the faith.. not the 'history of Christendom' is MUCH x 3 better than.. etc.

The reason Christ based faith is 'better' is because it never entails the killing of people, the hunting down of them, or anything other than the simple sharing of the sacred Gospel of grace and peace.

I've done enough rants for you to be well aware how this contracts with the teaching and life of 'another'... so, its a bit deceptive for you to come back riding the same old sorry tired 'ready for the glue factory' horse of 'Crusades/Inquisition'.....

If you were honest, you would freely admit that the Faith itself, is as far away from the horrors of Islamic conquest, (which are in complete harmony with the Quran and its prophet's life) as the East is from the West.

So, it sounds very much like you are being deliberately dishonest here simply to tarnish the image of the true Gospel.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 23 March 2008 9:54:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PROMINENT MUSLIM BAPTIZED.

I found it quite interesting that Italys' most promiment Muslim (according to news) has become a Catholic.

Interesting...because his major criticism of Islam was of it's violence.

Perhaps the message of peace from Christ, touched this man's heart in a way that he was ready for.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/23/2197137.htm

Popes Easter message. "Peace"

"Islam"s response to the conversion?

Mr Magdi is under police protection following threats against him.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 23 March 2008 10:47:47 PM
Maybe Boaz has a point in his last posting. It's not the people (and how atrociously they behave) that really matters, it's the quality of the "message", the teaching, that we should judge. Okay then, let's follow that to its next logical step.
It would obviously have been much better for the world, as a result avoiding all the atrocities committed by Christians on others (including other Christians), if Jesus had been remembered by his teaching alone. The big mistake happened when superstitious fools decided to call him God, turn his life into a fable of impossible miracles, worship some infallible book, and create a religion and a church with its popes, priests, prayers and penitences. Ideally, the world should have had a totally religionless Jesus to remember and honour and follow the example of, and it would have been a much better place as a result. I could accept that. Right on, Boaz!
Posted by Tuckeroo, Monday, 24 March 2008 7:54:47 AM
I am perfectly aware that we have had this discussion before, Boaz.

>>You keep on bringing up the Crusades.. and I keep on reminding you that such events have no connection with the teaching and example of Christ, not of even the early history of the young Church.<<

And my response each time is the same.

"A man is judged by his deeds, not by his words" - Russian proverb

"Deeds, not words shall speak me" - John Fletcher (1579 - 1625)

"Verba docent, exempla trahunt" - Latin proverb (lit. words instruct, examples lead.)

"It is good deeds, not words, that count" - Democritus (460-370 BCE)

"For herds do not bring fodder to the pastor to show what they eat, but rather evince it by their milk and their wool; so do thou assert thy principles in deeds, not words." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations of Antoninus

>>The reason Christ based faith is 'better' is because it never entails the killing of people, the hunting down of them, or anything other than the simple sharing of the sacred Gospel of grace and peace.<<

However much you waffle on about the Crusades being un-Christian, the fact remains that the Crusaders went off to kill people in the name of Christ.

>>I said "Christianity".. i.e... the faith.. not the 'history of Christendom' is MUCH x 3 better than.. etc.<<

Then why do you spend so much time digging up stories of ancient battles as "evidence" of present-day Islamic attitudes? You need to explain why your reference to the Battle of Yarmouk has greater relevance than my reference to the siege of Jerusalem.

One final point.

>>it sounds very much like you are being deliberately dishonest here simply to tarnish the image of the true Gospel<<

Not at all. As I have pointed out on many previous occasions, I am not in any way anti-Christian. I know many people who derive a great deal of comfort from their religion. What does cause me to pick up my metaphorical pen is the deliberate and persistent use of one particular religion to beat up on another.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 24 March 2008 2:02:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy