The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Dogma versus the Universe

Dogma versus the Universe

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All
I have loved looking at images of space since I was a child. Science studies were intrinsic in my decision that the god of Christianity was too small, too mean and too infantile to have created the awe inspiring universe of which we are but a tiny part.

http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/1994/02/images/c/formats/web.jpg

The image above is of a galaxy similar to our own. Our solar system is on a far flung arm of our galaxy’s spiral and we can only see a few thousand stars at most with our unaided eyes. These are a mixture of stars which are nearby, and bright stars further away; but they are only a tiny fraction of the 100,000,000,000 stars in our own galaxy.

In 1999 the Hubble Telescope estimated there were 125 billion galaxies in the universe, this figure is subject to change and has already been challenged by new telescopes. That we are part of something so large is very hard for us to picture cohesively. And it is this thought that I find so inspiring, spiritual. We will probably never know for sure how the universe was formed, whether there are other universes. However, we may find out we are not alone in this infinity.

Our infinitesimal size in our galaxy alone should give us pause for thought on the pettiness that governs many of our actions.

We, our planet, our solar system, our galaxy, our universe; according to quantum physics (string theory) are all energy - equals.

But we don't behave as equals. Jesus told us to love our neighbour - I think we'd be better off if he'd asked us to respect each other.
I will never feel anything approaching love for people like Boaz but I can hold respect for him as a fellow human, even when he has been particularly vicious. He believes what he believes. Live and let live.

Most of our problems are with people trying to direct us according to their beliefs and desires and the conflict when we resist.

With so much to gain from scientific inquiry why do people continue to believe in religious dogma?
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 11:19:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now Fraccy.. you could NEVER love me ? :) of course you could.. because the real 'me' is not the BD you see here.

I'm a bit like Paul.. 'bold when far away' but 'timid when close up'....

Love your neighbour ? sure.. it doesn't mean 'eros' type love but 'agape' type love.. not dependant on what they do neccessarily.
In fact the Greek Jesus used is just that "Agape".

Respect? hmmmm I think that implies there are qualities in the object which are worthy of praise.. But "love" in the sense Jesus spoke it, means that if you see me laying in a pool of blood in a gutter, you won't just keep walking and let me die simply because I'm your OLO 'enemy' :)

So, you don't need to feel that you have to be all warm and fuzzy toward me. (*phew* she says)

TOPIC.
The Bigness of the Universe just tells me how big and great is its Creator.
But I can only think that way because of the Word and works of Christ and his death and resurrection. They confirm His greatness and presense.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 2:35:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"With so much to gain from scientific inquiry why do people continue to believe in religious dogma?"

Dunno. Interesting question. The old gods, Greek and Roman and Norse and Anglo Saxon, explained natural phenomena. Their antics also entertained - like reality tv for pre-history.

Judeo-Christian types invented their religions to codify morality, I think, keep everyone on the same moral page. Also to justify tribal and personal hatreds - it's not *me* that doesn't like gay people, it's *god*.

But obviously I'm talking off the top of my head. It'll be interesting to see what others come up with.

I agree with much of what you've said, Fractelle. Contemplating the size and majesty of the universe leaves me amazed by how small and unambitious humanity's idea of god is. I love looking at pictures of the universe too.
Posted by Vanilla, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 2:47:21 PM
Boazy: "In fact the Greek Jesus used is just that 'Agape'."

I thought Jesus spoke Aramaic?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 3:03:07 PM
Thanks Vanilla

It is amazing that with so much being discovered everyday, new technologies and the increasing ability to look further and further into the universe (which is really just looking back time) the thought alone leaves me gasping that the light we see in the nights skies started out millions of years ago. Bloody amazing! And I live in an age where we know this and can take pictures of it.

Perhaps science will prove the Big Bang theory, perhaps not. It is the journey that matters, what we discover along the way.

Whereas for me and no doubt many others, religion, is like a broken record - on and on about the same things: a paternal deity who is desperate to be worshipped - or else. Inspiring? NOT!

Look what it does to people - instead of treating people as intelligent and with respect, these so-called devout people treat non-religious with contempt and then wonder why we get a tad nettled.

I could deal with this, but my personal line is crossed when religion is at the foundation of political decisions: funding for religious schools or at its very worst flying planes into buildings.

Since 9/11 ALL religion has come under a lot of scrutiny. And rightly so, it has an appalling way in limiting the thinking of otherwise intelligent people. 9/11 was the catalyst for many to rethink religion, why do some believe in something that has no evidence and is used relentlessly for political ideals (power).

Just in Christianity alone we have people who either believe the earth is 6000 years old, or among the slightly more enlightened that their religion invented science. ROFL. If it wasn't so frightening.

Religion lobotomises rational thinking.

And, finally, people are questioning its special status that it has had over the centuries. Religion doesn't deserve any more special consideration than that given to any other superstition.
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 3:54:08 PM
Damn well said Fractelle.

Now observe as the religious use the circuit breaker 'faith' to justify why their superstition is correct.

If this concept hadn't co-opted the more beautiful message of 'hope' as being part of it's attraction, it's simplicity as a justification for ignorance would be laid bare.

The universe is a complex question, and religion is the simplest answer. Note here, that I don't think atheism is any better.

For my two bob... Theology is philosophy's retarded cousin.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 4:01:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy