The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why Shouldn't New P Platers Drive V8's? Comments?

Why Shouldn't New P Platers Drive V8's? Comments?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Frankly, this is ridiculous, as i have got my L's after the July 2007 deadline, now i have to go through guidelines saying i cannot drive any 8 cylinder vehicle? i find this seriously stupid. My dads V6 is more powerful than the V8 i was planning on buying, also the six cylinder cars that are fuel injected have more power than the carburetted V8's.

E.G. 1991 VN Commodore V6 - 125kw (3.8L V6)
1980 WB One Tonner - 115kw (4.2L V8)

Can you see where im coming from?

It should be based on power and acceleration, not capacity. Jeez ive got mates currently on their p's who drive big powered V8's, and they legally got away with it because their cars are just heavy enough to pass. A WB One Tonner weights a fair amount and has less power than a VN commodore. I beleive this is ludacris, and i am certainly writing to the state government about this injustice!

Comments?
Posted by Potty, Thursday, 24 January 2008 10:03:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sounds sensible, but it is more of a technical question. You would have to come up with a simple system that has fewer holes in it than the current one.
Posted by freediver, Thursday, 24 January 2008 10:31:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have a power limit? Say, first 2 years of P plates go for 140kw max and 320nm of torque max. Then second two years go for 180kw tops? i rekon its sensible enough. And have weight/power ratios too
Posted by Potty, Thursday, 24 January 2008 10:38:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I drive a mundane, 4 door, family sedan, which has a 4 cylinder, dohc, 16 valve, EFI engine.
According to the manual the car can reach 153 kph in 3rd gear. Power really kicks in at 30 kph in 2nd with the foot down, that's when the EFI really gives it a squirt.

Eminently safe for a 'P' plater, no chance of getting into trouble in that sort of car. Probably couldn't reach the 180 at the top end of the speedo. Maybe 165, so it's a safe car for anyone; how could you get into trouble?

Anyone get the idea that the V8 ban is just a bit of 'feel good' ' look we've done something' legislation/regulation? (plus another two question marks for emphasis, which I wasn't allowed to put in) Nyaah!
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 25 January 2008 7:02:22 AM
Would seem more sensible to have electronically-limited acceleration and top speed. In fact, I don't see why this should not be mandatory on ALL vehicles, regardless of driver age. The fact that it might make cars more expensive is no bad thing either. Cars are far too cheap, considering their long-term costs. Yes, there will be inevitably those that disable the limiters, but the vast majority of drivers would benefit from being forced to stay at a reasonable speed.
Such a device would certainly have saved me quite a bit in speeding tickets over the years.
Posted by wizofaus, Friday, 25 January 2008 7:30:09 AM
What is ridiculous is that P-platers are able to drive any car with a power ratio of a V8 or a VN Commodore V6 or anything or the sort (or any car at all for that matter), before they have done a very thorough defensive driving course and have gained an appreciation of the dangers on the road, both to themselves and perpetrated by them due to a lack of appreciation of the many risk factors and safety margins.

Why do you want a powerful car straight-up straight after getting your licence Potty? Is it just peer-pressure? Do you really think that you would be able to entertain this sort of peer pressure without being pressured into behaving in an irresponsible way at least to some extent on our public roads, by way of demonstrating the power of your vehicle?

Comeon, you would be a rare individual indeed if you craved this sort of power and peer-adoration without misusing it in a way not befitting safe behaviour behind the wheel of a car in public.

In your example above, the big difference between the V8 and VN Commodore would be the fact the V8 would be your car whereas the Commodore would be your father’s and therefore not a factor when it comes to showing off to your mates. I would say that the bloody peer-pressure factor is actually a whole lot more important than the nature of the vehicle.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 25 January 2008 8:37:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy