The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > whaling and cultural imperialism

whaling and cultural imperialism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I never said that the calf was related to the killed female adult whale. And I don't care whether they are related.

The calf was SOMEONE'S calf.

Perhaps it's even worse that they were not related- now there's a cow searching for her calf; and perhaps there's a calf without a mother.

Whalers don't know whether the females have a calf or not.
And they don't care.

Anyway, the harpooning of whales is a cruel slaughtering method, no matter whether the whales are bulls, cows or calves.

I suppose people who have no objection to the cruelty of the harpooning of whales also have nothing against the clubbing of seals.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 8 February 2008 8:48:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2008/02/07/2156845.htm
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Friday, 8 February 2008 8:56:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for that video, PALE.

Whaling obviously is animal abuse and as cruel as clubbing baby seals to death and bull fighting.

What a wonderful world we live in, freediver, with all these animals suffering at the hand of human greed, entertainment and sport.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 8 February 2008 10:27:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Queensland Senator Andrew Bartlett:

...“We have moral indignation being expressed by politicians of both major parties about the cruelty involved in Japan’s whaling program, yet we have turned a blind eye for decades to the horrendous and inhumane conditions livestock endure."...

http://www.liveexportshame.com/news2/index.php?topic=4101.0

I agree, all animal cruelty is abhorrent and we should oppose it regardless of the country or the culture involved rather than turn a blind eye to all this cruelty.
Posted by Celivia, Saturday, 9 February 2008 9:37:49 AM
"The calf was SOMEONE'S calf.

So was the alleged 'mother'. It was probably 'someone's' cousin, best friend or fairy godmother too. It was a whale.

"I suppose people who have no objection to the cruelty of the harpooning of whales also have nothing against the clubbing of seals.

I think clubbing is a very effective way of killing an animal. It works a lot better than guns. The whole seal clubbing thing is also blown way out of proportion. It only gets the attention because there are such great photo shots - red blood on white ice etc. Another chance for the hypocrits to point the finger while chowing down on their big mac.

"What a wonderful world we live in, freediver, with all these animals suffering at the hand of human greed, entertainment and sport.

You left out food. Almost all animals serve no other purpose in life than to be food for other animals. It's the way the world is. You can't claim to be a fan of nature if you can't stomach that.
Posted by freediver, Sunday, 10 February 2008 9:02:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
”It was probably 'someone's' cousin, best friend or fairy godmother too.”
You can joke about the plight of animals all you like, but it’s a fact that whale cows and their offspring bond. Disturbing that bond can have ecological and evolutionary implications for long term survival of whale populations.

“The whole seal clubbing thing is also blown way out of proportion.”
I don’t agree. If you have a look at this site you will see that, too.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1523-1739.1988.tb00183.x

Some points:
* Seal hunt observers have documented numerous cases of injured, conscious seals stockpiled and suffering on the ice.
* The hooking of live and conscious seals in Canada’s commercial seal hunt has been recorded on numerous occasions.
* Canadian legislation has actually been moving backwards.
* Observations by groups such as IFAW and others are likely to represent “best practices.”
* Canada’s commercial seal hunt does not meet modern scientific standards of humane killing.

”You left out food. “
I agree that omnivores and carnivores will always kill for food, but as humans we need to make sure that the breeding, raising and killing of animals is done in the most humane way possible.
Clubbing baby seals and harpooning whales don’t fall under humane slaughtering methods.

It goes without saying that humans should not torture and kill animals for frivolous reasons i.e. greed sport and art.

“Almost all animals serve no other purpose in life than to be food for other animals.”
From an evolutionary POV, the purpose of humans and animals is no different- mainly to survive as a species.
Posted by Celivia, Sunday, 10 February 2008 4:15:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy