The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Indonesian economic refugees - a litmus test for the left?

Indonesian economic refugees - a litmus test for the left?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Well.. I'm sure by now most of us have heard the news. The boat saved off our northern coast was filled with 3 families of Indonesian "economic refugees" who's claim is "Australian Law has created economic hardship for them, and is thus responsible now to look after them"

Who are they ? They are people who had made their living STEALING fish from Australian waters.
Illegal fishing.. just like me doing illegal cultivation of 'my' vegy garden in YOUR backyard. (because the soil is better than my back yards) Of course I didn't ask your permission, I just came, and started digging. But then.. you came out and told me to get lost, and voila..its YOUR fault that I don't have enough vegies.

My circumstances are tough..I can't support my chosen lifestyle.. so.. I zip over to your place and steal your car.. sell it for some quick bucks, and aah..then all is good.. UNTIL you put a security system in place, and your new, insurance replacement car is not so accessable to me. So...its YOUR fault that I can't buy my new widescreen TV that I'd planned with the proceeds from stealing your new car.

I'm wondering how Bob Brown and the usual suspects on the Left will deal with this one. I guess the word 'COMPASSION' will be hurled around, there will be those who truly believe its 'our' fault that Indonesian fishermen are doing it tough because they can no longer steal our fish. There will be cries and whines of "It's a world for all people, and Australia is part of it, its not 'illegal' to support your family" etc..

Of course, if we did NOT have those tougher laws, one day we will wake up to ZERO fish in the area slashed and burnt by the Indonesians, who then, will look further afield.. hmmm how about illegally taking wild buffalo or camels from the outback? They could salt the meat and take it back to Indo...yep..that could work
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 22 November 2007 6:59:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
They will not stay in Australia the idea that they will is wrong.
BD good to see your Christian concerns for your fellow man, zero that is.
However they will not and should not come for those reasons and the fact they are que jumpers.
Thousands are waiting and have been for years to come and no one should shoulder them aside.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 22 November 2007 1:06:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed Belly - Boazy's usual compassion for other people is at the forefront again. Such a good advertisement for Christianity.

While it might spoil Boazy's attempt to stir up some xenophobic froth and bubble over this incident, I'm not aware that there's a recognised status anywhere of "economic refugee". These unfortunates will undoubtedly be repatriated to Indonesia, but not before various interests here have tried to get some political mileage out of them.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 22 November 2007 2:31:20 PM
Off course they will be sent back.

Maybe before we send them back, they could work-off the incurred debt by tending BD's veggie patch.

So much for the Parable of the Good Samaritan.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 22 November 2007 2:49:59 PM
This is fascinating to see how various posters react to my terminology. It would make a most interesting psychological study.

Lets re-set the stage, and the actors, and see if the 'response' is the same.

-A bloke in Fitzroy wants money to improve his lifestyle.
-He grabs a baseball bat, goes to the nearest 7/11 and threatens the shop assistant, and makes off with a fist full of cash.

Now....if I condemn this mans actions.... (which I surely do) am I 'lacking compassion' ? Now... think about this one, because the 'baseball bat' is really "I'f you don't hand over your fish, I'll come and squat in your backyard".

I don't know why this suddently turned into a squabble about 'who has no compassion'.. because on what basis should we extend 'compassion' to thieves?

Jesus was in the midst of 2 others on Calvary, one, in humility stated to the man abusing Jesus "we are getting what we deserve, but this man has done nothing wrong" and Jesus response "Today you will be with me in paradise"... he said nothing to the unrepentant thief.

The good samaritan was a bloke who helped a Jew who was AMBUSHED and beaten half to death by thieves. I don't find anything in that parable whatsoever to justify compassion for the thieves who beat the bloke senseless.

Am I missing something here?

These people are just the thin edge of the demographic wedge which would..if unchallenged, reduce Australia, and dare I say Belly,Wobbles and even CJ up there in Academia land to a beggar status.

So far the responses (except for brother Belly:) seem to be more about attacking me.. the old 'ur a bad Christian' ploy rather than engaging on the issue.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 22 November 2007 4:53:19 PM
If ownership of the resource is in question it's a bit misleading to throw the term 'thief' about.
Posted by freediver, Thursday, 22 November 2007 4:55:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy