The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Media and Christianity-the image problem.

The Media and Christianity-the image problem.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
wobbles,
"The Day The Earth Stood Still"? Fifties sci-fi is Jesus? Please explain.
Posted by rache, Friday, 9 November 2007 11:47:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Concise Macquarie Dictionary: "depraved. adj.
corrupt or perverted, esp. morally wicked"

Yup, Gandhi was a truly depraved human being.

What a warped worldview you have, runner.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 10 November 2007 12:02:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rache - some fairly obvious points are -

Stranger comes down to Earth.
Peacefully walks among us, demonstrates his superior wisdom (to a scientist).
Performs a significant miracle.
Dies.
Comes back to life.
Returns (back up) to where he came from - but not before he delivers a judgement and a warning to all mankind. (Change your ways or suffer the consequences).

Not enough?
And what was the name he randomly chose for himself while here?

Carpenter!

Cheers.
Posted by wobbles, Saturday, 10 November 2007 12:08:32 AM
the ghost and the god is created by the aliens

The follow is some achievements I have achieved:
1, established the theory of “the ghost and the god is created by
the aliens ", I think the ghost and the god like the god,ghost and
the Buddha is made by a height flourishing civilization,they
made this kind of virtual person’s society in the Earth.So Man
can’t see this ghost’s society include the God.
2, established the scientific dialectics , negated the former of
Materialism and Mentalism of human being , correct many
blemishs of the old dialectics , established scientific
Philosophy,correct all weakness of the old philosophy.
3, established the theories of Great Harmony’s Political system,
promote the spirit of the Great Harmony of human being, found
the greatest humanistic and scientific ‘s regime system in the
whole human being ‘s history.
4, I have made a specially important creative achievements on
the medical science, negating the pseudoscience that persecute
the human being so long time, the modern psychiatry is a
pseudoscience , this creating a happiness life for the whole
world.
5, launched "the new culture movement",this is the most
influential and a global movement of Revival of Learning in the
human being’s history, this is the first renaissance in human
being’s history that could be developed in the whole world.
My email: worldoyj@tom.com worldoyj@163.com
Posted by worldoyj, Saturday, 10 November 2007 2:06:51 AM
INTERESTING INSIGHTS HERE...(thanx)

TRTL said:

>>At least, however tenuous I may feel it is, there is a basis for what they are saying, which can be argued, is not simply derived from dogma.<<

Actually, TRTL, may I draw your attention to the preaching of John the Baptist ? I hope you will take a moment to explore this, and you will clearly see mate.. that the 'impact' of the Gospel, was to address very real social issues, even though this was not it's primary direct purpose. The premise behind the Gospel is 'New men=New society' but the foundation for that newness in the heart is simply that we be reconciled with God.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=49&chapter=3&version=31

FOXY said:

>>"And, in the U.S. many fear that the constitutional barrier between church and state is breaking down. Perhaps that's what the director wanted to depict - beware of religious fanatics..."<<

Actually mate.. if you look closely at the history of the US since the 50s, you would notice that the natural and historical closeness of State and Church/faith is what has been eroded systematically since that time.
At one time, prayer in schools was 'the norm' and no one saw it as a clash between 'Church and State' it was just plain 'normal'.
So, I find your comment most interesting, as it reflects a new 'normal' as you see it, presumably a generational thing ? :)

CG said:
>>I dont see this sort of film as being a set against Christians in particular, just a warning that there are wacko's of every persuasion out there.<<

True indeed CG, but I confess to having a vested interest in preferring to see the 'wicked witch' type of bad guy :) in this case, it was a direct parallel, but the evil was connected to Christ.
The children were lured with 'cute gifts, and sweet chocolates'... sounds like Hansel and Gretel who were lured and 'fattened up' by the witch who wanted to eat them.

I didn't see it as a direct onslaught against Chritianity either, it was just the para message/outcome from the structure of the plot.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 10 November 2007 6:28:36 AM
Dear BD,

In the discussions that I have had with American friends and colleagues, I have solicited thoughts about the impact of religion on current events. Their concerns are - how can we best manage events in a world in which there are many religions, with belief systems that flatly contradict one another at key points? How do we deal with the threat posed by extremists who, acting in the name of God, try to impose their will on others? We know that the nature of this test extends back to pagan times and is therefore nothing new; what is new is the extent of damage violence can inflict. This is where technology has truly made a difference. A religious war fought with swords, chain mail, catapults, and battering rams is one thing. The prospect of a nuclear bomb detonated by terrorists in purported service to a Higher Power is a nightmare that may one day come true.

The US President says that "Liberty is a gift to everybody.' What people in the States are concerned with is the implication that The President feels that God appointed America to deliver that gift. They feel that it is a mistake to mix religion and foreign policy.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 10 November 2007 12:38:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All