The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What's happening to our pronouns?

What's happening to our pronouns?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
In the TV show, Ghost Whisperer, we're now seeing an extension from the use of "I" as an indirect object pronoun to its use as a direct object pronoun.

I can't remember exactly what the show's character, Melanie, said, but it was something like "Do you want Jim and I to do it?"

This appears to have started in the USA. I first became aware of it years ago in the expression "between you and I" but it's spreading, both geographically, beyond the USA, and into other parts of the language.

I have yet to hear anyone say something like "Do you want I to do it?", any more than we hear people say "Did you give it to I?" I suspect that what we're really seeing is a move towards using subject form pronouns in object positions only when linked by conjunctions, or perhaps only with the conjunction "and".

Add to that the use of object form pronouns in subject positions, "Me and Fred went to the shops" - which is similar to something I heard Delta Goodrem say in an interview - and it's becoming a total mess. Again, I haven't heard anyone say something like "Me went to the shops".

So here's my hypothesis as to what the grammatical rule is becoming:

a) In the subject position, the subject form pronoun is used unless the pronoun is linked by a conjunction, in which case the object form pronoun is used.

b) In the object and indirect object position, the object form pronoun is used unless the pronoun is linked by a conjunction, in which case the subject form pronoun is used.

Future grammarians are going to have a field day with that.

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Friday, 28 September 2007 10:58:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I blame the skoolteechurs. They am too busy wiff pumping kids heads full of PC rubbish instead of teechin thum proper grammur an spellin.
Posted by Jack the Lad, Friday, 28 September 2007 5:06:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't see the problem here. When "Jim and I" or "you and I" is used, that is actually the grammatically correct usage.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 28 September 2007 6:01:33 PM
Bugsy, I'm not sure whether you're just trying a wind up, but anyway, see the personal pronoun section of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrect

And also

http://www.bartleby.com/68/31/831.html

http://www.bartleby.com/68/94/5794.html

Despite a certain state of flux in usage, there is no doubt in my mind that standard English still requires

"Do you want Jim and me to do it?"

and generally the phrase is always "between you and me", never "between you and I".

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Friday, 28 September 2007 7:43:27 PM
Ah, yes now me see. Me retract my former statement. But why anybody would be concerned about it is beyond I.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 28 September 2007 8:36:02 PM
The character Kylie Mole has a lot to answer for.Instead of "she said", we constantly hear,"she goes".Where does she go with such a poor grasp of grammar and syntax?

The pro-nouns I'm afraid,along structural grammar have prostituted themselves in the name of sloth.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 29 September 2007 12:16:10 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy