The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ABC television star called out for 'moonlighting'

ABC television star called out for 'moonlighting'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
The Coalition had almost a decade to deal with the ABC: to defund it, when they actually increased the funding; to make it a subscription service; to offer it up for sale.

They did bugger-all.

The ongoing existence of the ABC draws attention to the fact that Australia is virtually a one-party state.

We are are supposed to be a capitalist, free market country, with only essential services funded by the government (taxpayers). The ABC is not an essential service.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 11 October 2024 9:19:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze,

<<The ABC agreed he wasn't in breach of any rules or contractual obligations. They just thought what he did was unsavoury, perhaps unprofessional.>>

It wasn't really the ABC, it was Media Watch a program on the ABC. Not really the same thing and that's where standards (or lack of them) are an issue.

<<But it doesn't rise to the level of corruption where he was taking money from people who might influence his reporting.>>

You can't really claim that, as you don't know if that was happening or not.

<<The point here is that he was protected by his ethnicity UNTIL he decided to leave the ABC, whereupon they turned on him with alacrity and all the venom a slighted left can muster.>>

I'm still not sure what race has to do with this issue. Media Watch also called Annabel Crabb, and I believe she still works at the ABC, so it's all a question of calling out the issue more than anything else.

I think the standards at the ABC need a complete review.
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 11 October 2024 12:55:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Coalition had almost a decade to deal with the ABC: to defund it,
ttbn,

Let's hope they've grown some gonads & the sense to go with it by now ! I'd say put a freeze on funding the ABC/SBS for at least five years would be an acceptable start. In time, make a 12 months NMNS a prerequisite for a cadetship with the ABC/SBS.
For a supposedly unbiased National Broadcaster any exposure to a non-academic environment is a must !
Posted by Indyvidual, Saturday, 12 October 2024 4:36:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy