The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The shame of Australia's Olympic medal haul

The shame of Australia's Olympic medal haul

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. ...
  14. 14
  15. 15
  16. 16
  17. All
Fester

I think that he's having a loan of you, mate. He is of no further use or interest to me. He appears to have problems that are his and his alone. A bit of a SteeleRedux type. The almost obligatory pain in the arse that other posters can argue with if they can be bothered.

If he hangs about, he will make a great mate for the two Marxist know- alls.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 14 August 2024 5:58:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Calling someone a 'pain in the arse' for encouraging critical thinking and challenging assumptions is an almost cartoonish way to justify ignoring them to protect one’s own views and avoid any self-reflection. I don’t think Fester’s the one ttbn is trying to convince here.

Fester,

Could you tell ttbn that devaluing others rather than engaging with their ideas is a textbook example of how we avoid the discomfort of cognitive dissonance?

Could you also tell him that by suggesting I might make a great mate for “two Maxist know-alls", he’s projecting his frustrations and unresolved tensions from past debates onto me in an attempt to reinforce his own biases?
Posted by John Daysh, Wednesday, 14 August 2024 7:00:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Goddam! Just how dumbed-down and offensive to I have to make it?!

http://ibb.co/MDL85nY
Posted by John Daysh, Wednesday, 14 August 2024 7:06:27 PM
John Daysh, your posts scored 100% on the likelihood of being AI. If I scored 34%, and given I am a good writer, that tells you a few things.

One is that AI doesn't produce good writing if it is only 34% likely to write like someone like me. The other is that you've got to be awfully like AI to get 100%. Either that or you are using AI.

Something else you should know about AI is that it hallucinates from time to time. Don't ask me why as apparently the programmers aren't even sure. Yours must have been hallucinating when it said AI skews "conservative". Any AI I've had anything to do with skews left and I have to make adjustments for that, and ignore the quaint little sermons it makes about what I should be doing or thinking.

You also seem to be good at word salad. I couldn't make any sense out of "But, again, productivity is not just about the immediate costs; it's also about future gains, efficiency, and long-term stability; carefully and strategically implemented renewable energy sources offer these".

But as renewables become more dominant in the system there is higher cost, lower efficiency and greater volatility, so your second clause is just a logically disconnected assertion.

It's easy to see why renewables are so expensive. They require multiple redundancies for when they are not working. So wind and solar need wind and solar elsewhere to back them up, as well as storage in the form of batteries or pumped hydro, and then they need a whole fossil fuel generation system standing by just in case. The capacity utilisation factor for the whole system is extraordinarily low, which is another way of saying its productivity is extraordinarily low.

BTW, chance this is generated by AI? 2%.
Posted by Graham_Young, Wednesday, 14 August 2024 7:12:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham,

The most advanced AI engines are impressively accurate. Sure, they make the occasional mistake, but you can usually get them to correct themselves by questioning them further. I once had ChatGPT correct itself simply by replying with, “Um, you wanna rethink what you just said?”

The claim of a “liberal bias” is nonsense for the reason I mentioned in my sarcastic jab about AI supposedly having a conservative bias (among others).

Depending on the topic, of course.

For instance, try getting an AI engine to support a socially conservative viewpoint when the majority of social research and data rarely back such a perspective. Similarly, try getting one to deny evolution or the science behind AGW. At best, they might act like fence-sitters to appease, but they generally don’t support junk science.

I’ve re-read my so-called “word salad” a few times now, along with the comments leading up to it, and I honestly don’t see what’s so confusing about it, sorry.

//But as renewables become more dominant in the system there is higher cost, lower efficiency and greater volatility, so your second clause is just a logically disconnected assertion.//

I have corrected this oversimplification ad nauseum in other threads, but will do so again for you in another comment because I don’t want to risk contaminating something I just noticed…

http://ibb.co/jyBNbLM

72%! I win!

Looks like you’re gonna have to improve thems writin’ skills!
Posted by John Daysh, Wednesday, 14 August 2024 8:22:16 PM
ttbn

Arguments can reveal things about the participants as well as the subject. Plenty of proselytising and borrowed lines I'm sure, and the "I've already addressed that point" line made me feel like part of the Monty Python argument sketch. They're a window as well as a mirror. You see them, they see you.
Posted by Fester, Wednesday, 14 August 2024 9:03:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11