The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The shame of Australia's Olympic medal haul

The shame of Australia's Olympic medal haul

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All
Indyvidual,

There's already EUR 7 billion in private funding that
comes from media rights, sponsorship, and ticketing.
Also - private investment in long-term infrastructure
projects which include an IOC contribution of USD 1.7
billion in cash and services.

An independent study reveals that olympic games are
beneficial for host regions.

There's more at the following:

http://olympics.com/ioc/news/independent-study-reveals-olympic-games-paris-2024-economically-beneficial-for-host-region
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 18 August 2024 1:47:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"This wouldn't be the case if we put the same energy and ambition into economic pursuits, using the same meritocratic and evidence-based approach we use to produce world class athletes."

I find this interesting, given that China is beating the West at capitalism.
China subsidised certain industries and made themselves a world leader with a monopoly on renewables.
There were once many many startups in renewable energy and EV's in China.
There was fierce competition which drove innovation, many went out of business and the industry consolidated into a handful of large companies.

China understood that if you mass produce something, you can do so at a lower cost.
Now the rest of the world is complaining that their countries can't compete with China's cheap EV's which are now cheaper to make than cars with internal combustion engines.

It seems to me their country has something ours doesn't.
A simple plan and a strategy?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 19 August 2024 9:37:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,
copied from "TheConversation"

The financial contribution made by taxpayers to the Sydney Games was in the vicinity of $2.2 billion, or approximately $3.0 billion in today’s dollars. This figure represents approximately $420 per Australian household. It is instructive to observe that our estimate of the real consumption loss from the Sydney Games of $2.1 billion is very close to the total taxpayer contribution to the Games of $2.2
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 19 August 2024 9:44:39 PM
An independent study reveals that olympic games are beneficial for host regions.

Just like the substantial increase in building and infrastructure projects is beneficial to my community.

The increase in traffic finding alternative routes to save time using my street, the increase in the death of local wildlife.

Like the dead 6mth old joey I found with it's guts ripped open and dangling all over the place at the bottom of my driveway this morning, people trying to save 2 minutes on the way to work in now overcrowded communities and congested roads.

Or the brick I ran over this morning that had fallen of some work ute, or the damage to my car from the extra traffic and trucks that leave huge potholes in the road which the council leave for about 2 weeks before they fix them, or the shoddy quality around roadworks, they can put in a $100K temporary bus stop in the middle of a traffic island, but they can't level off a piece of bitumen in that roadworks that is so bad it's probably wrecked the steering and suspension of everyones cars that have driven over it these last 4 - 5 months.

Whats really pissed me off is that dead joey.
I'm not sure yet if it's the one I've watched grow these last few months in my back yard and which I've watched since he was a grey hairless ball of skin in his mummas pouch.

I'm so sick and tired of seeing new blood stains and splattered dead animals along my street every single day.
I wish I knew who did it, so I could dump it on their doorstep.

I'd love to see how these same people who speed along my road would freak out if their own kids were faced with the same kind of day to day carnage on their streets as they create on mine.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 19 August 2024 9:57:46 PM
China subsidised certain industries and made themselves a world leader with a monopoly on renewables.
Armchair Critic,
If they are so good at renewables, how come they have to keep producing them ? I haven't heard of China taking back past their use by date items & 'renewing' them for reuse, particularly with zero emission ? Shouldn't it be the more commodities etc are 'renewed' the less raw materials should eventually be needed ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 20 August 2024 5:28:06 AM
Hi Indy,
They were taking everyone's used plastic and scrap metal?
They took all our shite, and turned it into something they could sell back to us.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 22 August 2024 3:44:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy