The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What actually is 'Conservatism'?

What actually is 'Conservatism'?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
On a recent thread someone wrote

"It is my hope that the right-of-centre parties will now slowly coalesce around a true conservative agenda."

What exactly is "a true conservative agenda"?

I see it as racism, bigotry, inequality, hatred of workers, poor people, people with disabilities, LBGTQ people, women and indigenous people. Support for aristocracy, monarchy, oligarchy, exploitation, pollution, christofascism and theocracy, uncaring and dishonest and against progress.

What does OLO think?
Posted by mikk, Sunday, 7 July 2024 8:05:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Mikk for introducing this interesting topic.

Most of the issues you mentioned are almost self-explanatory, yet before we start, can you please explain what exactly do you mean by "progress"?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 8 July 2024 8:38:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mikk

I don't know what OLO "thinks", but I think that you are a very disturbed and twisted individual if you truly believe that your disgusting rant describes conservatism.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 8 July 2024 8:43:56 AM
Dear Mikk,

Actually if I may add, could you please also delineate what exactly do you mean by "equality" (or "inequality")?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 8 July 2024 8:56:11 AM
By coincidence someone sent me this link. It's forlorn and beautifully written, and gives a better description of conservatism than Mikk's post. http://unherd.com/2024/07/and-so-farewell-conservatism/
Posted by Graham_Young, Monday, 8 July 2024 9:12:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Mikk,

Thank You for raising this discussion.

I guess that today in our modern world - "conservatism,"
has been given a bad name by some. It brings up images
of narrow- bigoted points of view. Of people pinning
for the "good old days" and being against things modern
and progressive. Against innovation, and any change, or
new ideas. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of
mentality. It often results in derogatory labels from
both sides.

I was raised in what I considered a "conservative"
family. My parents were committed to traditional values,
ideas, and to preserving and promoting traditional
institutions - like the Church, and its teachings and
values.

When you're raised in this way - a great deal of what
you were taught lasts a lifetime.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 8 July 2024 10:37:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy