The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Assange Freed Aust Bound

Assange Freed Aust Bound

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 17
  14. 18
  15. 19
  16. All
"Surveys tell us over 70% of Australians support Albo's action re; Julian Assange."

True, but like the Voice I suspect that if people were interested enough to look more closely the result would be different, perhaps inverted.
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 27 June 2024 9:46:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good Morning Gentlemen,

What a night it was.

I watched the arrival of WikiLeaks founder, Julian
Assange back home to Australia last night. I watched
the emotional, safe arrival as his plane touched down
in Canberra. I saw his joy at seeing his wife and
father again and knowing that he was home.

I listened to the Prime Minister speak. I later watched
the Press Conference from his hotel at which Assange's lawyers
and wife spoke. It was an emotional evening for them all.
Including for Assange's brother Gabriel Shipton who was
interviewed via a video link.

I learned that the Prime Minister spoke to Assange
and welcomed him back to Australia. That Assange thanked him
and told him "You saved my life!" words that will undoubtedly
go down in history.

The PM once again stated that they had pursued this case for
quite some time. That they did so because Assange was an
Australian citizen - and that "Enough was enough." He also
stressed - That this
case received a great deal of support from all sides of
politics.

Hopefully, Assange and
his family will now be allowed to enjoy and recover from their
ordeal without much further fuss.

One thing that was made clear by Assange's lawyers was that
despite all the criticisms of what Assange did - the judge
who accepted Assange's guilty plea stated that no victims
had been identified and no one was harmed by the WikiLeaks
disclosures. That the US could not identify any personal victim
from what WikiLeaks published. The lawyers felt this was
important to note.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 27 June 2024 9:57:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Assange case will undoubtedly continue to be discussed
from various points of view for quite some time yet.

I guess it depends on how one feels about accountability
and whether those in power and making decisions should
have to account for those decisions - to their peers, their
electorates, and, if crimes or violations of laws have
occurred, to the courts.

Given the huge consequences for soldiers, their families,
as well as civilians of the countries involved in conflicts
should decisions made during a conflict be subject to
scrutiny and review?

Should investigative journalism be allowed to publish
information received and let the public know what is
being done on their behalf and in their name? Or should
it be kept secret?

How important is accountability in a democracy?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 27 June 2024 10:08:22 AM
Foxy wrote she didn't want to discuss how conspiracy theories became facts but then wrote "All have been disproven. ranging from the Chinese lab - COVID theory,"

The lab theory has been disproven?? Wow Foxy, do you just write this gumph in the hope it'll sail through or are you truly this ill-informed. I'm going with all the above. There are many reasons to be anti-Trump, one of which is to be utterly ignorant of all the issues. That's our Foxy.

Lab-leak theory disproven...wow what a dill!!

Just on the rape charges that St Julian avoided...
There were two separate incidents. One was a women who said she consented to sex only after she'd convinced him to wear a condom but that he'd taken it off without her knowledge thus forcing her to have unprotected sex. The other women said while Assange was staying with her, he'd wanted sex but she'd refused because he wouldn't wear a condom. Then she awoke in the morning with him inside her without a condom.

Now if was a Catholic priest who did this, the usual crowd would be demanding the death sentence(!) but they want to excuse it here. MeToo is truly dead.

The cases weren't dropped because of incompatibility in British and Swedish law but because the Swedes determined that there was no reasonable prospect of ever getting him back to Sweden.

A Swedish woman's group said yesterday that it remains lamentable that he never stood trial for what he did.

So the lessons are obvious. Lock up your daughters - or your mothers
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 27 June 2024 10:45:45 AM
The person Foxy laughingly calls 'our' PM is all over this. Its becoming increasingly clear that Albo has become the fair-weather leader of Australia. When there's good news to be told or something that might scrounge up a few extra votes, Albo's all over the news.

And thus it was with Assange...Albo's all over the place beaming with the thought of a few extra media points.

But if there's bad new around, Albo's suddenly out to lunch. In all the hoopla about St Julian yesterday, new disastrous inflation figures were released. And where was Albo following that announcement? Nowhere to be seen. Instead his underlings had to face the music.

We saw the same over the Lakemba stabbing video. Where the bureaucrats decided that they had to power to stop the whole world from seeing the attack, Albo was all in, all over the news telling anyone who'd listen what a swine Elon Musk was for not following the censorious dictates from Canberra.

But when Musk won the argument and the censors in Canberra realised they had neither the legal power nor moral authority to stop the world from seeing the video, Albo was again out to lunch. Again the underlings had to take the heat.

After all there are no votes in admitting that you'd illegally tried to suppress information.

Our better PM's, like Hawke and Howard, were well known for NOT leaving others to take the heat when things went askew and for that they generated significant loyalty. Others, like Albo, who happily hang colleges out to dry, often find a knife in their back when things turn sour.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 27 June 2024 11:01:54 AM
mhaze

Don't argue with idiots. They will reduce you to their level and beat you with experience. 
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 27 June 2024 11:25:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...