The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Assange Freed Aust Bound

Assange Freed Aust Bound

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. ...
  14. 17
  15. 18
  16. 19
  17. All

Dear Foxy & Paul,

I agree with Foxy that “some things do need to remain confidential”.

They “need to remain confidential” in the interest of the Australian people – not just in the interest of the political clique or some other coterie that has a vested interest in something remaining confidential.

Australia's Right to Know (ARK) alliance, a coalition of leading Australian media outlets and organisations, nicely sums it up :

« There are three core principles that should govern whether secrecy provisions are implemented or otherwise preserved in Australia:

1. All non-disclosure/secrecy offences must protect the paramount importance of the Australian people's right to know about the conduct of its own government and its administrative actions. This requires robust journalist protections.

2. Any criminal sanction must require an intention to cause harm to a recognisable public interest.

3. There must be clear, meaningful and serious harm to a recognisable public interest, and any criminal sanction must be proportional to address that harm.

Without these principles in place, Australia is left in a position where there is a severe chilling effect on journalism, as journalists cannot report for fear they have unknowingly breached one of the many secrecy provisions and will face criminal consequences ».

It seems to me that the case of Julian Assange should be considered in the light of these principles.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 29 June 2024 1:01:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Forum Friends,

I'm sorry but I can't agree with the broad statement; "Some things do need to remain confidential." yes certain legal things clearly in the national interest should remain confidential, out of the public view, BUT acts of criminality MUST always be exposed, otherwise the government of the day could, and most likely would, use the claim of "national security" to cover up all sorts of wrong doing. I totally agree with 'Parliamentary Privilege', 'Freedom Of The Press' and 'Free Speech' all of witch can have dire consequences for anyone who abuses those freedoms.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 29 June 2024 7:01:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Should we go with the official number what is it almost 40 thousand Palestinians, or the unofficial number which is likely in the 150,000 to 200,000 range?

US bombs work great on civilians, but not so good against a peer adversary.
Ukraine lost 13,000 killed and injured last week.
The US likes weapons sales but can't win wars for that exact same reason.
- Its military industrial complex is built around profit not substance.

Overpriced junk
Before you think about fighting any war first prepare to go bankrupt.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 29 June 2024 9:24:16 AM
Recently, after announcing that Australia had had a spy in its political class, ASIO covered up for him or her. We will never know who it was.

Now, we have a real life, convicted spy who will be splashed all over the media, and hailed as some sort of hero. Warped! And Albanese is grinning like an ape about it. Really warped! He is “very proud” of whatever he thinks he did to get Assange back with us.

And, best of all, Albanese got the opportunity to spend more of our money for our Ambassador Rudd and High Commissioner to the OK, Smith, to travel and stick their oars, for no purpose whatsoever.

The whole thing is revolting. There are not enough words to describe the appalling, criminal Assange. He is an embarrassment to Australia. And we are stuck with him.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 29 June 2024 9:33:56 AM
I am all for government accountability in every day
life. However, we have secret service agencies for
a reason. And I'm not sure that security information
should be published putting our men and women's lives
at risk.

I feel uneasy about doing that.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 29 June 2024 9:35:41 AM
Dear Banjo,

Thanks for the 3 principles you listed.

I think they are fair.

We do have safeguards in place to protect us all.
We should abide by them. They're there for a reason.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 29 June 2024 10:04:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14