The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Don't just remove Australia Day merchandise or change the date, remove the day!

Don't just remove Australia Day merchandise or change the date, remove the day!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 49
  9. 50
  10. 51
  11. All
Dutton has got something right at last. Woolworth's nonsense is definitely “anti-Australian”.

People who work for Woolworths have nothing to do with the issue. Big Business does not consult shop assistants on the matter of corporate virtue signalling. The workers are likely to be as disgusted with their employer as are most other decent, sensible Australians, who are fed up with Big Business trying to drag down the country that gives it the opportunity to make billions in our capitalist free market system, while they, the businesses , act like communists as only the very rich can afford to.

The corporates have learned nothing from the spectacular drubbing the Voice they bankrolled received from Australians. It is they who lack respect for the rights and intelligence of the public.

Shareholders should, and probably will, have something to say to Woolworth's board at the next AGM.

In the meantime, customers have the ability to take their business elsewhere.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 12 January 2024 6:52:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Before I even have an opinion I want to share this.
It really sums up the state of things in Australia well.
http://twitter.com/Motabhai012/status/1745161923090657444

I don't support governments conducting sanctions on countries, but individuals have every right to a preference and to boycott businesses they don't like.
Too many businesses move away from their core product, to include some kind of virtue signalling crap.
Probably Klaus Schwab and his 'stakeholder capitalism'.

Foxy recently talked about banning symbols that can incite.
I wonder if the Aussie flag now falls under that category?
Will the government ban it's own flag?
They almost seem sympathetic to the idea.

"I also find the Opposition Leader Peter Dutton calling for a boycott of Woolworths to be un-Australian, anti-jobs and anti-business."
- I'm not sure how I feel about him saying it or advocating it, but really it's just individuals taking the grocery shop to Coles from Woolies.
Staff will always pay a price for managements bad decisions.
I don't have a problem with people voicing their opinion with their wallet.
Woolies are certainly not going to change their position unless there's some financial pain, as that's the only thing that matters to them.
This is capitalism and democracy.
If you don't like what one company is doing you're free to take your business elsewhere.

I'm already so used to going to Woolies though, the Coles shopping centre is more of a pain and I don't know where anything is.
- But I might have to give it a go for a little while.

I suppose a change can be like a holiday...

If Woolies don't support Australia, then why should I support them?

Even if the indigenous do have a rational argument, this is a billion dollar Australian business spitting on the flag.
If they wanted to be so anal about it, they could've also sold the indigenous flag, but taking the aussie flag away should not be tolerated, not that there's much to be proud of or feel lucky about anymore.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 12 January 2024 6:53:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

The exact date the British Admiralty agreed to the name of “Australia” for our island continent seems to have been lost in history. All we know is that it was sometime in the year 1824.

For 180 years from 1644-1824, it was known in Europe as Nova Hollandia (New Holland) which was the name given to it by the Dutchman, Abel Tasman, who “discovered” it in 1844 – but, of course, as we all now know, it had already been discovered and occupied by various Aboriginal tribes some 65,000 years previously.

So, while we know the year (1824) in which our country was named Australia, we know neither the month nor the day it was officially named. In other words, we do not know the precise date of our national day, Australia Day.

What we celebrate today is not Australia Day, per se. It is the date of the arrival of the first fleet in Sydney Cove on Saturday, 26 January 1788 to establish the British Penal Colony of New South Wales. So, in fact, the day we celebrate as Australia Day could more appropriately be described as British Colonial Day or, perhaps, New South Wales Convict Day.

Unless we somehow manage to lay our hands on the document that officially attests to the change of name from Nova Hollandia to Australia in the British national Royal Admiralty archives, I think it would be best that we wait until we have fully completed our emancipation from the British Crown and become a totally independent republic.

In that case, the date of birth of the new republic could then become Australia Day – or the national day of whatever name we decide to call the republic.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 13 January 2024 2:24:52 AM
It's all part of the fantasy. Republican Australia, powered by windmills and solar panels, and united by apartheid. Adhering to a fantasy history written by a person with fantasy origins, and expecting the lower caste to indulge in self hatred on the basis of the collective inherited guilt of white skin.

Bring on the election.
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 13 January 2024 6:21:55 AM
Fester

Good for you. “Bring on the election”.

Ideology is behind every decision of the Albanese government, the idiocy of its cabinet, and the incompetence with which it tries to govern.

The Albanese government has abandoned its voter base; and those voters are there for the Coalition to collect - if they have the gumption. Currently, there is no sign of them having the gumption. The difference between the Albanese government and yesteryear’s socially conservative Left is stark. Bob Hawke, for example, treated the electorate with respect; Albanese treats us like mugs.

To show the electorate that it's not going down the same path (as it often seems to be) the Coalition needs to return to conservatism. Ordinary Labor voters and ordinary Coalition voters have more in common with each other than they do people like Greens and other weird groups, and now with the ultra-Left Albanese version of what used to be a respectable centre-Left party.

Albanese himself should be enough to see Labor off; but Dutton will need policies:

. Slash immigration to the bare minimum needed by Australia
. Try to recruit the reduced number of immigrants from the Anglosphere. Poor English skills are a big problem, particularly as many immigrants find employment in aged care. Old people find it difficult to understand broken English and accents.
. Drop Net Zero and climate hysteria.
. If we must dump fossil fuels, use nuclear, not wind and sunbeams.
. Stamp out identity politics and division by race.
. Start manufacturing again.
. Spend more on defence.
. No digital ID. Card OK, particularly for people not good with technology.
. No scrapping cash.

It's hard to get a decent government these days. The ones who try to defend Western principles are harassed by the MSM, which also backs the most incompetent government Australia has ever had - the Albanese version of Labor.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 13 January 2024 7:20:26 AM
These anti-Australia Day, anti-everything Australian troglodytes who only stand briefly at the entrances of their caves to trash Australia and try to divide it, are probably unaware that the main shareholders of 'Australian' Woolworths are globalist monsters Blackrock and Vanguard.

Pissy little people are being manipulated by the most powerful anti-human, anti-democratic thugs in the world, and they don't even know it.

The same pissy little people who fell for Voice, that you can bet your bottom dollar was financed by the likes of Blackrock and Vanguard.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 13 January 2024 7:50:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 49
  9. 50
  10. 51
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy