The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is there a God?

Is there a God?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 42
  7. 43
  8. 44
  9. Page 45
  10. 46
  11. 47
  12. All
Is there a GOD ?

Now.. here is some food for thought.

http://www.christianapologetic.org/biochemical_evolution.htm

>>Did life arise spontaneously from non-living matter? This question can be answered “no” with reasonable certainty.

Every living creature contains at least one blueprint which furnishes instructions for making all the creature's biochemicals. This blueprint is a long chain of chemical units called nucleotides. The chain is neither ordered nor random but is, instead, complex; information is stored by means of a linear sequence. In contrast to an ordered sequence, the algorithm required to specify a complex sequence is as long as the sequence itself. In a living creature, a complex polynucleotide is never constructed from nucleotide building blocks without the assistance of another kind of chemical called an informed enzyme.

The informed enzyme is a long chain of chemical units called amino acids. This chain is also complex and also stores information by means of a linear sequence. In a living creature, an informed enzyme is never constructed from amino acid building blocks without a complex polynucleotide to provide the code.

Thus, we are faced with the catch-22 of life's origin. The complex polynucleotide, which is the blueprint for all the biochemicals of a living creature, cannot be constructed without an informed enzyme; but the informed enzyme cannot be constructed without a complex polynucleotide to code for it!

If life developed spontaneously in a primordial soup of nucleotides, amino acids and nutrients, then either the first complex polynucleotide or the first informed enzyme was formed without the assistance of a pre-existing complex chemical entity. The probability of such an event is virtually zero.<<

What was that ? ZERO!
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 3 November 2007 3:41:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bugsy "religions are a form of social control" err.. very flimsy and needs to be fleshed out.

ANY 'idea' can be a means of social control and that includes 'atheism'.

Secondly, there is ALways 'social control' within any group of people who claim adherance to a set of common ideas.

So.. I find it strange that you would raise this as some kind of 'anti religion' thing ?

The communists 'claimed' it was the opiate of the masses and then proceeded to replace one opiate with another "Party worship".

WHAT IS LIFE WITHOUT GOD ?

As Neitczhe said: "God is dead..and we.. the worst of murderers have killed Him"

He realized the outcome of society 'killing' God, and separating itself from the divine connection... and we are now seeing that outcome.

If my life and your life is of no more ultimate value than that of a paramecium or an Omoeba.. no more signficance than a mangy stray dog... then it matters not whether I help the old lady across the road.. or run her down. That is the world Neitchze and Sartre admitted was to come as a direct result of abandoning God....and here it is.

http://www.hisdefense.org/LinkClick.aspx?link=Audio%2fCraig+-+Absurdity+of+Life+without+God.ram&tabid=136&mid=934

An important lecture to bring the likes of Bugsy, Morgan, Pericles and Ginx to the mirror of self understanding.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 3 November 2007 3:47:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Settle down Boazy. The idea that religion is a form of social control is not anti-religion. You just interpreted it that way. Morality itself is a form of social control as well. Some form of social control is necessary precondition for a civilisation to grow, and for people to cooperate with each other. However, as religion is only a subset of this concept, it is actually NOT a precondition for civilisation or a decent society to exist or prosper, it is easy to see why that is confused as historically, religions are pretty well ubiquitous.

And yes, many atheistic philosophies are also forms of social control. You are right.
Posted by Bugsy, Saturday, 3 November 2007 4:14:22 PM
Boaz, you should know by now that trying to prove the existence of God via science is a pointless exercise.

>>The complex polynucleotide, which is the blueprint for all the biochemicals of a living creature, cannot be constructed without an informed enzyme; but the informed enzyme cannot be constructed without a complex polynucleotide to code for it! If life developed spontaneously in a primordial soup of nucleotides, amino acids and nutrients, then either the first complex polynucleotide or the first informed enzyme was formed without the assistance of a pre-existing complex chemical entity. The probability of such an event is virtually zero<<

This is just another version of the old conundrum "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

"either the first chicken or the first egg was formed without the assistance of a pre-existing complex chemical entity. The probability of such an event is virtually zero"

That's why it is described as spontaneous, Boaz.

And please, posting links to hour-long lectures on the "absurdity of life without God" is one thing.

>>An important lecture to bring the likes of Bugsy, Morgan, Pericles and Ginx to the mirror of self understanding.<<

Expecting me to listen to it is entirely another.

If it has something interesting or constructive to say, I'm sure you will eventually let us know.

If it hasn't, I've just saved an hour of my life in which to do something more useful. Like cut my toenails, or look up the UK soccer results on the internet.

And I'm not even interested in soccer.
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 4 November 2007 3:48:45 PM
AAAARRRGGHH...!
Posted by SPANKY, Sunday, 4 November 2007 9:43:36 PM
David I do not want to offend you in no way do I wish to hurt you or stop you saying whatever you want.
Reality is you would have no problems in agreeing with me some Gods never existed is that true?
And I think it likely you would not be upset if I highlighted a view one religion seems to be lost and divided on the issue are non followers of that one as good as followers, been a bit careful there.
For me then it is just one more step I think no God exists, that brilliant men wrote rules for life ,some good ones among them , but we are here.
Chicken and the egg? the first egg appears to be something very different that an egg, and not a God.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 5 November 2007 6:21:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 42
  7. 43
  8. 44
  9. Page 45
  10. 46
  11. 47
  12. All