The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > National NAIDOC Week

National NAIDOC Week

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. 33
  10. All
Sunday July 2nd to Sunday July 9th, National NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia, its a week to celebrate and recognise the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. NAIDOC Week is an opportunity for ALL AUSTRALIANS to learn about FIRST NATIONS cultures and histories and participate in celebrations of the oldest, continuous living cultures on earth. You can support and get to know your local Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities through activities and events held in local communities all across the country.

This week is an opportunity to help everyone understand First Nations people, and hopefully dispel many of the mistruths and negativity that some have when it comes to our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander brothers and sisters. There are many free events in local communities well worth the visit, you never know it might be a good experience for some, and they may come away with a better understanding of our First Nations people.

http://www.naidoc.org.au/about/naidoc-week
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 2 July 2023 8:41:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank You Paul for this discussion.
I would love to at least attend the NAIDOC Week
activities in Federation Square here in Melbourne
tomorrow. But I shall have to wait and see how my health
pans out tomorrow.

My brother sent me 3 beautiful t-shirts by Aboriginal
artists from an outlet in Brisbane. I've been wearing them
regularly and getting lots of comments because they're so
artistic and colourful.

Big crowds are expected. in Melbourne.
I am looking forward to it being successful.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 2 July 2023 4:36:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Foxy,

My wife also has 2 shirts a friend got through her contacts here in Brisbane, beautiful colours and designs, I think about $40 each, not sure. This week Thursday they are down for "art class", wife wants to learn the Aboriginal painting style, however she is not sure about the protocols involved. In Maori culture there are certain protocols connected with crafts like flax weaving, which she wants to teach her friend. The problem is getting the right flax, someone has a plant in their backyard, but Australian flax and NZ flax are different plants. The outcome should be interesting.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 2 July 2023 5:43:11 PM
Dear Paul,

«Sunday July 2nd to Sunday July 9th, National NAIDOC Week celebrations»

You too a nationalist?

Then I can only wish you a speedy recovery, brother.

«to learn about FIRST NATIONS cultures and histories»

That you too have been infected by this cursed disease does not imply that aboriginal people have it too, or ever had.

Aboriginal people never had this Western disease of nationalism, they used to roam around freely, they never thought in such stupid terms, they were free people and such name-calling claims as if they too had "it", are adding an insult to their injury!

With all sympathy to the aboriginal people, who undoubtedly were ill-treated by the ill people who came from the West, I stay out and will never celebrate any generation of these germs, be they first, last or anywhere in the middle.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 2 July 2023 10:51:19 PM
they used to roam around freely,
Yuyutsu,
Yes & No. They had their areas where they roamed freely but anyone dare to walk into another clan's area better had a speedy exit tactic. All folk all over the planet have & still are working that way. Some have been colonised as is the case here where they are compensated way beyond what's warranted, the outfall of which is obvious now.
Too much compensation led to the discontent so prevalent now.
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 3 July 2023 4:04:43 AM
Dear Yuyutsu,

You write: "Aboriginal people never had this Western disease of nationalism, they used to roam around freely, they never thought in such stupid terms, they were free people and such name-calling claims as if they too had "it", are adding an insult to their injury!"

Please go read up on Aboriginal history. Tribal areas were very clearly defined and while there were seasonal movement within them it was only be invitation that neighbouring tribes were able to access another's lands. Rivers and scarred trees, much like those used by early surveyors delineated boundaries and there were quite formal procedures for gatherings between tribes. These were often done at the confluence of rivers which sat at the boundaries of tribal lands.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 3 July 2023 9:53:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. 33
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy