The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > One voice

One voice

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 28
  8. 29
  9. 30
  10. All
The Albanese Government, ABC and SBS media love this song but do not heed its message we are one and we speak with one voice. They want a racial voice to be a different song and not a uniting of all Australians.

I came from the dreamtime
From the dusty red-soil plains
I am the ancient heart
The keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shores
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I've been
The first Australian
I'm the daughter of a digger
Who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman
On the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the Depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushie, I'm a battler
I am Australian
We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We'll share a dream and sing with one voice
I am, you are, we are Australian
I'm a teller of stories
I'm a singer of songs
I am Albert Namatjira
And I paint the ghostly gums
I'm Clancy on his horse
I'm Ned Kelly on the run
I'm the one who waltzed Matilda
I am Australian
Posted by Josephus, Friday, 6 January 2023 11:52:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unfortunately, we are not 'one', and sentimental songs will not make us so. We are divided by multiculturalism, race and Woke. That we now have a government that wants to to divide us even more, and enshrine the division in the Constitution, says it all.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 7 January 2023 8:52:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Josephus,

Thank You for reminding us of the noble dream
of this song that despite differences and diversity
this is OUR land and we have a deeper unity that we
share - in which every Australian counts.

What better way to celebrate this than through music.

As for The Voice to Parliament?
It would be great if we could celebrate right across
the country the roll out of The Voice.

It would mean
a collective rejection of the racism experienced by
First Nations Australians for hundreds of years.
When the white state devised a myriad of oppressive
laws to enforce and legitimize the exercise of their
unjust power against our Indigenous people effectively
stripping them of any rights as first citizens in their
land of birth. Now that was racism.

Fixing this is justice, not racism.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 January 2023 9:10:47 AM
Foxy, a voice based on activists from those with a first nation's ancestor somewhere in their past, is divisive. Look at the choir that sings this song on ABC and SBS there are many aboriginals in the choir; singing we are one, we speak with one voice.

To have a separate "Voice" places aboriginals into an apartheid State, which we have managed in the past to give them equality to all Australians.

Are you suggesting Australian laws are too oppressive for aboriginals? Are you suggesting we allow aboriginals to have their own laws? Which aboriginal country laws are you saying they are to live under if they are not bound by Australian law? Aboriginal cultures are not all the same in every nation, they cannot agree among themselves as one people. Just look at the values of the eleven in Parliament at the moment.
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 7 January 2023 9:49:40 AM
Hi Josephus,

You apparently misunderstand what The Voice is and the
fact that it will merely be an advisory body. Legislation
will be done by Parliament. You need to inform yourself
better on the subject, I shall be happy to continue this
conversation with you when you've done so.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 January 2023 9:58:43 AM
I do not misunderstand what a voice will mean to Australia, as there are examples in other countries like NZ, where they are given preference over other citizens. I listen to Jacinta Price, Warren Mundine and Jimmy Little etc. and they state it will be for elite city activists who want to be heard and not remote full blood community leaders who do not fully understand English.

Foxy you state,
"It would mean
a collective rejection of the racism experienced by
First Nations Australians for hundreds of years.
When the white state devised a myriad of oppressive
laws to enforce and legitimize the exercise of their
unjust power against our Indigenous people effectively
stripping them of any rights as first citizens in their
land of birth. Now that was racism."

The Voice is based in racism, as it represents a single race, it will not solve the feelings some have toward aboriginals, but further exacerbate their feelings. It makes Australia an apartheid Nation based in racism. You seem to think that there were oppressive laws particularly designed against aboriginals. Which ones? In two Hundred years we have moved on from a penal settlement.

Aboriginals want to live under Australian laws and values and retain a simple life. Talking to a friend that works with full blood aboriginals in the NT they do not want rules from Government imposed from Canberra with fly in Gucci clothed representatives. A "Voice" will be based and living in a First World city - Canberra and be advising the Government.
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 7 January 2023 2:01:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 28
  8. 29
  9. 30
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy