The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The 15 Minute City

The 15 Minute City

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The 15 Minute City has a completely different meaning in SA, where many of Adelaide's older residents are nostalgic for the days when they could drive across it in 15 minutes.

Anyway, what people here don't seem to comprehend is that although the WEF is well connected, it doesn't actually have any power. I strongly suspect it's struggling to maintain relevance, and may be encouraging the conspiracy theorists to keep it in the public eye.

The idea of personal carbon credits isn't new. David Miliband (Ed's older, and at the time more politically prominent, brother) once came out in support of it, proving to me (and I expect many others) that he was utterly lacking in common sense and unsuited to any leadership position.

Oxford City was not built for cars, isn't well suited to them, and already has measures in place to control them, so it's hardly surprising that another proposal to further restrict their use was made there. But again it's totally lacking in common sense, and unlikely to be seriously considered, let alone implemented.

Armchair,
Like many things in the USA, the bail system is strongly biased against the poor. The system where people are jailed for months for often trivial offences that they haven't been convicted of, just because they don't have access to sufficient money for bail, is not conducive to justice. Soros is right to want to do something about it.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 12 December 2022 11:23:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Aiden
The US prison system isn't run by the government, it's largely run by private contractors.
Part of the deal the government has with these contractors is that they guarantee that prisons will be filled to a certain capacity.
This leads to situation where some people are given longer sentences than they should, and also that some people are incarcerated when they should be given non-custodial orders.
This is not a good system.

George Soros is funding prosecutors.
What these people are doing is changing the rules so that petty offenses aren't even punished or followed up on by police at all, which lowers crime statistics on paper but inevitably leads to MORE CRIME as people know that they wont be punished at all.
This is not a good system either.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 13 December 2022 3:29:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A bit like the British Colonial Government, and its use of private contractors to transport convicts to Australia. The more the contractor crammed in, and the less he fed them, the more he got paid. Perfect system for some.

AC, you're out there in your "little corner of paradise" around Wellington Point are you not. Why would you want to leave paradise for the hum-drum of the city.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 13 December 2022 4:39:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"AC, you're out there in your 'little corner of paradise' around Wellington Point are you not. Why would you want to leave paradise for the hum-drum of the city."

I'm in Vicky Pt, and the other side of the road is Reddy Bay.
- Ive got bulldozers, excavators and trucks closing in on me in 3 directions, some of which I could hit with a good throw of a rock from my backyard.
- I have a few months to go here at best, but it's been a good 10 years peaceful semi-rural living.
All the kangaroos have been taking up residence in my yard recently as its a safe place for them.
All their existing habitat is being destroyed at the moment, but I think they're planning to keep some nature and wildlife areas when it's done.
There's a few joeys, and a couple of mum's carrying tiny bubbas in the pouch, that are becomeing less skittish around people every day.

Immigration and housing mate, environment be damned.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 13 December 2022 11:39:01 AM
http://www.rt.com/news/567860-oxfordshire-climate-change-lockdown-traffic/

Or if any of you lot are allergic to 'Russian propaganda' try this instead, it's just the same news.

http://dailytelegraph.co.nz/world/uk-city-defends-new-climate-lockdown-policy/

"The city will also benefit financially, with any driver caught passing through a filter without an exemption or a permit being charged a £70 penalty (just over $85) per violation. Planners expect the city could make as much as £1.1 million per year from fines."

Is 'filter' a kind word for 'check point'?

"Your papers please"
http://youtu.be/ZiQL71kV4t8
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 13 December 2022 11:42:42 AM
Armchair,
Russian and New Zealand sites are not good sources of information about Oxford. Try an Oxford site:
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23177152.oxfordshire-oxford-council-abused-traffic-filters/
If you read it you'll find:
This is nothing to do with climate: it's entirely about road congestion within Oxford.
It only applies to certain congested roads within Oxford. There are no restrictions on entering or leaving, and in all cases alternative routes are available that are not subject to restrictions or charges.

BTW are you sure that in America the government guarantee that prisons will be filled to a certain capacity? ISTR there was a corruption case a few years ago where a judge who had given juveniles excessive sentences was found to have been receiving kickbacks from a prison company.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 13 December 2022 2:50:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy