The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine - Jordan and Egypt in state of denial > Comments

Palestine - Jordan and Egypt in state of denial : Comments

By David Singer, published 28/1/2010

Negotiations between Israel, Jordan and Egypt remain the only way to resolve sovereignty in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Many things that have occurred in recent times clearly indicates to me that we will not see any progress in the negotiations as detailed by Mr. Singer in his article.
Firstly, the US has shown that they have clearly lost interest in the Middle East as a major foreign policy priority through a distinct lack of 'genuine' effort since the Obama regime came to power. That doesn't mean that they didn't go through the motions, because they did. The appointment of an Ambassador to address the factors limiting progress in this hotbed of failed diplomacy, not to mention wars, was a good start if anyone thought they were serious. Then visits to the Middle East by Obama, sprouting the right words when required, other visits by the compromised Clinton making little effort to hide her New York controlled baggage, were designed to impress the world. But that's all over now.
Supporting Israel for the next 10 years now includes a $50 billion 'aid' price tag committment to Israel. This means that the US will continue to pay real money to use them as a geographical buffer against Islam, the payback price being the West Bank and other land grabs by the Israelis.
Obama, after all has other fish to fry domestically, just to stay alive.
Jordan and Egypt as negotiators are unlikely to waste any more time on this futile academic exercise. A state of denial exists because a deal has already been agreed and the Palestinians can continue to remain as pawns in this tired old game. After all, they are certainly used to it.
Solve the two-state solution? Obama has already said clearly, not in my time. How about, never?
Posted by rexw, Thursday, 28 January 2010 12:05:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A “geographical barrier to Islam”?

This is a poorly conceived strategy. Consult serious scholars of Islamic history and you’ll find that Islam has never, and could never have, been spread by the sword. How then is it spread? Here is a clue from a story from the time of the Prophet
Source: http://www.sahaba.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=227

Evidently both Said Ibn Zayd and Fatimah, daughter of al-Khattab, managed to conceal their acceptance of Islam from the Quraysh and especially from Fatimah's family for some time. She had cause to fear not only her father but her brother Umar who was brought up to venerate the Kabah and to cherish the unity of the Quraysh and their religion. Umar was a headstrong young man of great determination. He saw Islam as a threat to the Quraysh and became most violent and unrestrained in his attacks on Muslims. He finally decided that the only way to put an end to the trouble was to eliminate the man who was its cause..

Goaded on by blind fury he took up his sword and headed for the Prophet's house. On his way he came face to face with a secret believer in the Prophet who seeing Umar's grim expression asked him where he was going. "I am going to kill Muhammad..."
There was no mistaking his bitterness and murderous resolve. The believer sought to dissuade him from his intent but Umar was deaf to any arguments. He then thought of diverting Umar in order to at least warn the Prophet of his intentions.
"O Umar," he said, "Why not first go back to the people of your own house and set them to rights?"
"What people of my house?" asked Umar.
"Your sister Fatimah and your brother-in-law Said. They have both forsaken your religion and are followers of Muhammad in his religion..."
Umar turned and made straight for his sister's house. There he called out to her angrily as he approached. Khabbab ibn al-Aratt who often came to recite the Quran to Said and Fatimah was with them then. When they heard Umar's voice, ...
Cont......1/2
Posted by grateful, Thursday, 28 January 2010 7:59:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont...2/2
When they heard Umar's voice, Khabbab hid in a corner of the house and Fatimah concealed the manuscript. But 'Umar had heard the sound of their reading and when he came in, he said to them: "What is this gibbering I heard?"
They tried to assure him that it was only normal conversation that he had heard but he insisted: "Hear it I did," he said, "and it is possible that you have both become renegades."
"Have you not considered whether the Truth is not to be found in your religion?" said Said to Umar trying to reason with him. Instead, Umar set upon his brother-in-law hitting and kicking him as hard as he could and when Fatimah went to the defence of her husband, Umar struck her a blow on her face which drew blood.
"O Umar," said Fatimah angrily. "What if the Truth is not in your religion! I bear witness that there is no god but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of God."
Fatimah's wound was bleeding, and when Umar saw the blood he was sorry for what he had done. A change came over him and he said to his sister:
"Give me that script which you have that I may read it." Like them Umar could read, but when he asked for the script, Fatimah said to him:
"You are impure and only the pure may touch it. Go and wash yourself."
Thereupon Umar went and washed himself, and she gave him the page on which was written the opening verses of Surah Ta-Ha. He began to read it and when he reached the verse, 'Verily, I alone am God, there no deity but me. So, worship Me alone, and be constant in Prayer so as to remember Me,' he said: "Show me where Muhammad is."
Umar then made his way to the house of al-Arqam and declared his acceptance of Islam and the Prophet peace be upon him and all his companions rejoiced.
UNQUOTE

A more constructive path: enter into a dialogue with Islam for peace and justice
Posted by grateful, Thursday, 28 January 2010 8:00:28 PM
Any negotiations are a complete waste of time while Israel includes reparations for Jews from Arab coutries as a precondition. Palestine cannot possibly deliver this. Even if an agreement on reparations was reached it would require many other countries to agree and would drag out the whole process by years.

If Obama has shown little interest in this issue, perhaps it's because he realistically sees there is no process.
Posted by Farmduck, Thursday, 28 January 2010 10:00:51 PM
The most simple solution would be for Egypt to retake control of Gaza, which was a protectorate of Egypt prior to the 6-Day War; and Jordan retake control of the once-part of Jordan, the West Bank. Jordan has proven that it has both the power and will to control murderous groups that threaten its regime.

"Israelis" who have moved across the green line into the West Bank (not a internationally recognised border, but an armistice line between Israel and Jordan), should either move back into Israel or assume some legal arrangement with Jordan - perhaps dual citizenship Israeli/Jordanian in which case they should be subject to Jordanian law - and Jordan decide those who later wish to live within its borders.

The idea of a Palestinian homeland lies dead in the water. Arafat himself stated that there was no such identity as Palestinian, that they were Syrians - as were the original peoples of Jordan . Those living on the West Bank would certainly enjoy a better standard of life as Jordanians, than be subjected to the line of either opportunistic murderous thugs or incompetents that has been their unhappy lot.

Gazans don't even come close to being "Palestinians". They speak an Egyptian Arabic, distinct from that of the West Bank; also have familial and econonic ties to Egypt.
Posted by Danielle, Monday, 1 February 2010 4:19:53 PM
grateful,

A lovely parable ... but I am sorry to have to disabuse you ...

There has been more bloodshed between Islamic groups than between the Arab States and Israel.

Not a week goes by than we hear of some Islamic group blowing up either another Islamic group; or non-Moslems.

Then we have their penal codes ...
Posted by Danielle, Monday, 1 February 2010 4:38:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy