The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Peak oil means peak food as well > Comments

Peak oil means peak food as well : Comments

By Michael Lardelli, published 13/7/2009

Lack of energy substitutes will affect the most fundamental of needs - food.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Eclipse Now

Thanks again - there is a Village Project near Melbourne. The second link - I have to admit resembles one of my uni projects from so long ago.

A word that comes to mind is 'zeitgeist' - which is desperately needed for a universal change from dependency on fossil energy to self-sustaining environments. The number of people who still believe in business-as-usual is astounding, but then humans are often loath to give up on anything that challenges their entire belief system.

Good to meet a kindred spirit.
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 19 July 2009 11:05:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cheers... I wish architecture and town planning had more people like you in it! If you are in Melbourne I'd recommend this podcast as they cover Australian activist news, but also a lot of Melbourne and Victorian news comes up as well.

Just one more link and I'll leave you alone! (I promise! ;-)

I love podcasts... I listen to my iPod mainly for science podcasts across the net (Scientific American, The Science Show with Robyn Williams, Science Friday on NPR news, all downloaded conveniently into my little iPod). Anyway, there's a Melbourne show I think you might like.

Just type in "Beyond Zero Emissions" into your iTunes search function (click on the iTunes store button first if you're not already familiar with it) and it should come up. Click subscribe.

If that doesn't work download their podcasts manually.

http://www.beyondzeroemissions.org/

The reason I love these guys is they're regularly interviewing all my heroes nationally and internationally, rave about Biochar and renewable energy and trolley bus systems, and are developing an optimistic 10 year plan for getting Australia off all fossil fuels, hopefully properly costed as well. Some say getting off fossil fuels in 10 years is a dream, but it seems a worthy dream to me and worth setting as a goal, even if we fail and it takes 15 or 20 years we will have at least TRIED!

http://www.beyondzeroemissions.org/zerocarbonplan
Posted by Eclipse Now, Sunday, 19 July 2009 12:20:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
E.N.

Just love your enthusiasm - ever thought of bottling and marketing it? I will check out your link, although (and I am no luddite just impoverished) I do not have an Ipod, but use my software equivalent on my PC to listen into as many science programs as I can find time and concentration for.

I don't think we will ween ourselves off F/fuels in ten years - BUT we will become energy self-sufficient, mainly because we will have little choice (and the powers-that-be will finally see there are dollars to be made). A shame we humans need to be hit over the head, before investing in helmuts. However, I remain an optimist because the alternative is untenable.

Cheers
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 19 July 2009 12:52:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy