The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Stand up to your man > Comments

Stand up to your man : Comments

By Helen Pringle, published 8/7/2009

'Shush girl. Shush your lips. Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips,' is not an appropriate anthem for 21C girls

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
'Shush girl. Shush your lips. Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips,'

I think the above line is rather catchy.

The article is really a bit of yawn.

Typically it starts the usual boring way, with a high profile case.
Then like someone with attention deficit disorder, jumps from one issue to another and the another, in a rather disjointed fashion.

Song writers will use what ever they can to build the lyrics for a song, blending nonsense phrases together. It was once thought that certain records that when they were played backwards contained hidden messages.

It was also claimed that ROck and Roll would lead to promiscuity etc etc.
Posted by JamesH, Friday, 10 July 2009 4:01:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is probably not the best case of DV to use as support for the author's argument.

Regardless of the reasons Kate Milligan is refusing to testify against Bird, I doubt that fear of reprisal or ongoing domestic violence is the main motivation. Milligan's parents even supported Bird by claiming they did not think the act was wilful nor a regular occurence, but a terrible accident. Possibly both were fighting and throwing glassware around - who knows.

Who of us really knows what went on in that room? It does seem odd that Bird would try and lie about it in the first place and blame the attack on his flatmate who was, it appears, playing golf somewhere else at the time. Perhaps as a high profile figure it was an easy out to avoid media and public scrutiny.

Bird is probably no saint and this is not the first time he has been accused of violence. He is a footballer which usually means not much grey matter up in the top paddock and why they are all hounded by beautiful women beats me. Each to his/her own poison I guess.

Those suffering legitimate DV usually for many reasons cannot stand up to their man without a lot of support both practical, financial and psychological.

Despite the high profile, this case is not the template for why women sometimes support violent men.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 11 July 2009 11:30:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see that Ms Pringle has interests in " Human Rights " Does that include MEN
Posted by oddy, Monday, 13 July 2009 5:03:41 PM
Let's face it. Beautiful females hang around men with earning potential. If the men are high profile sport stars so much the better.
Posted by oddy, Monday, 13 July 2009 5:20:17 PM
oddy, good point about human rights and men.

I have never seen or heard the two things 'human rights' and 'men' used in the same context.

Usually it is 'women and human rights' that maybe because feminists see men as be less than human or consider that men don't deserve to have human rights.

Typically if men were regarded as having 'human rights' then it would seen that trying to extrapolate the Bird case, would be a breach of the human rights of men. On the grounds that is sexist, biased, unfair, prejudical, inflammatory, fear mongering etc.
Posted by JamesH, Tuesday, 14 July 2009 5:36:05 PM
James
I am sure Amnesty International would disagree given their campaign history particularly in those countries where the political processes are corrupted.

Are you really serious in your statement that feminist ideology enompasses the belief that men are not worthy of human rights? Could you point me to your sources?

Using that logic does it mean that those who might fight against the enlisting of child soldiers in Africa must by contrast also believe that adults are not worthy of human rights. This is just fuzzy logic.

In those countries there are many more problems and people don't generally have the time or inclination to sit around over coffee lamenting feminism because some women did them wrong sometime in the past.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 15 July 2009 2:13:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy