The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sarkozy and the burqa > Comments

Sarkozy and the burqa : Comments

By Kees Bakhuijzen, published 26/6/2009

France continues to place itself at the forefront in the fight against the rise of Islamism in the Western world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
"tomorrow it could be nun's veils, Brethren's headscarves, priests' collars, Jews' yarmulkes, Seikhs' turbans etc etc etc..."
What a good idea.
Get rid of all their divisive, exclusive symbols that they use to show how pious they are and how seperate from the rest of us they are. There is nothing but oppression and conformity behind why any of these things are worn

While we are at it I have a beef (lol) about the muslim and jewish food rules. Specifically the cruelty they practise in slaughtering animals. These bloody godbotherers are nothing but barbarians playing sacrifices to their imaginary friend with their rules of slaughter which are straight up cruel to the animals. Im not a vego or a rabid animal lover but just cutting an animals throat and letting it bleed to death is cruel and cruelty is always wrong no matter what animal you do it to. I doubt our systems are perfect but at least we attempt to butcher animals humanely. These godbotherers are just evil.
Posted by mikk, Friday, 26 June 2009 4:35:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's only one answer in a truly secular society, ban the wearing of all religious clothing and viewable paraphernalia in public. They all say their god is a personal god, so that's how it should be, personal and not public, in non religious and secular societies.

These women are compelled to wear these suffocating and demeaning clothes either by their men, guilt or fear. Why do men not wear these constraints, why do they dress in western clothing yet expect their women to cover themselves, sounds like fear and suppressive inadequacy to me. Don't forget these enslaved women are not allowed to talk or associate with men, other than their immediate families, otherwise they suffer the religious barbaric consequences.
Posted by stormbay, Friday, 26 June 2009 5:52:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find the idea of the burqa reprehensible and insulting to all women, but all that banning it will achieve is further alienation of French Muslim women and greater divisions between cultures and religions. The women are unlikely to leave their homes minus the burqa, it is a form of security for the women, imagine how vulnerable these women would feel not wearing this covering outside the home. They have been indoctrinated into covering up, it will take more than a ban to change this form of conditioning.

As J S Mill said, "Encourage, educate, and allow them to choose."

And I would add; be patient.
Posted by Fractelle, Friday, 26 June 2009 6:21:08 PM
The sight of priests wearing colourful frocks and carrying a burning handbag,I find more strange!
Posted by Kipp, Friday, 26 June 2009 6:35:10 PM
Kipp, so do I. I have no problem with any woman wearing anything, short/long skirts, head scarves, whatever, and I don't see that Muslim women should not wear what they feel comfortable with. But not the burqa.

If Muslim clerics want to criticise our women for wearing bikini, why should we criticise Muslim women for what they choose to wear.

However, the hijab is not the same as the burqa, one is a choice the other is a discipline enforced by men. Sarkozy wants to stop the practice of enforcement.

It will happen the children will not continue that practice of enforcement because they will be educated.

I would like to point out though if we were told not to go into a bank and take off our long coat and hat/hoodie, what would we do?
Posted by RaeBee, Friday, 26 June 2009 6:44:09 PM
Razz, et al,

You cannot compare Muslim headscarfs and burqas to the religious garb of nuns. Nuns are married to God, the Church - they are dressed (or not much anymore anyway) as such to purposely distance themselves from secular society to support them in doing Gods work, by working with or for secular society, socially and spiritually. By the way, they assist people of many different religions - they do not discriminate. Muslims only care about themselves. My goodness, with all the selfless charity work that nuns do throughout the world in many fields. The Muslim female garb is something else and seems to be more of a symbol of political assertiveness and also superiority.

Why does Islam have to give other religions a bad name? Do not put all religions in the same category. Anyway, Islam is more of a political totalitarian ideology than a religion.

Nick Cohen, is another ex-leftie who has written a couple of books on being disillusioned with the left because of their alignment with Islamists who have totally forgotten what their original cause was suppose to be about.

Good onya Kozy, and Kees, for writing this good article.
Posted by Constance, Friday, 26 June 2009 9:00:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy