The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sarkozy and the burqa > Comments

Sarkozy and the burqa : Comments

By Kees Bakhuijzen, published 26/6/2009

France continues to place itself at the forefront in the fight against the rise of Islamism in the Western world.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Good for France! In the meantime, its neighbour across the channel continues to kow tow to Islam, harbour terror organisations,and sit back gutlessly while Islam establishes its first step against the West in its sworn establishement of the Caliphate.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 26 June 2009 11:41:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that the hijab should not be used as a form or oppressing women but neither should we be banning women from expressing their religious freedom. Nuns wear the same veil as it came from the same tradition, are we to ban nuns from this practice also ?.
Posted by razz4189, Friday, 26 June 2009 12:31:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The hijab is very different to the burqa which hides the womens face. Therefore, the burqa is a dehumanising garment where as the hijab isn't.

Also, the hijab is Islamic and its use can be backed up by the Sharia. The burqa is not Islamic but strictly cultural. There is no hard evidence within the Sharia that sanctions the use of the burga.

In short, the burqa is an un-Islamic cultural invention of a conservative, backward and sexist clergy. It should be banned.
Posted by TR, Friday, 26 June 2009 12:56:56 PM
As much as this issue gets used as a vehicle for the Right's War On Anything New And Therefore Scary, it simply isn't acceptable to dress in a mask in a civilised and open society.

Can I get about in black overalls and a balaclava because it makes me feel modest?
Posted by Sancho, Friday, 26 June 2009 1:21:46 PM
I really don't see any problem with Muslim women wearing the hijab but the burqa is quite another thing. I find it quite confronting personally and I have noticed children find it more than a little bit scary if it is the black variety. I cannot understand why a woman would subject herself to wearing clothing of that nature.

I can see the hijab would be comforting apparel for some women if that is what they wish to wear. In fact along with the Sari I find the hijab quite an attractive form of dress. Not for me, although come to think of it, it would hide a multitude of problems now I am older.
Posted by RaeBee, Friday, 26 June 2009 2:50:19 PM
Sancho - yes, of course you can. But you might find it difficult to get service in banks! ;-)
That said, while I agree that steps should be taken to protect women from being subjugated in this type of way I have grave misgivings about any form of legislation to prohibit dressing or wearing particular types of clothing.
As has been suggested, while today it is the burqa - tomorrow it could be nun's veils, Brethren's headscarves, priests' collars, Jews' yarmulkes, Seikhs' turbans etc etc etc...
There are already laws to protect women from abuse, however, adult women should be free to dress as they choose. To suggest they only choose this because they are compelled to is rather patronising (although I don't doubt it is often true). To suggest that women choose to wear it because men may lose control is also perhaps casting your impressions onto them.
Encourage, educate, and allow them to choose.
Posted by J S Mill, Friday, 26 June 2009 2:57:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy