The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Goodbye to Mick Keelty > Comments

Goodbye to Mick Keelty : Comments

By Stephen Keim, published 7/5/2009

The AFP should be professional, accountable and effective. With Keelty's resignation the government must pursue this objective with vigour.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
stephen keim is being way too kind. "mistakes and failures of judgment" doesn't begin to describe keelty's reign as lap dog and as cheerleader and front man for authoritarian bullying. good riddance to this pathetic, dishonest, thoroughly appalling man.
Posted by bushbasher, Thursday, 7 May 2009 10:22:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In this decade the increased powers of the AFP has been a threat to the citizenry's civil liberties. I hope the next incumbent of the AFP has the ability to preserve our civil liberties, as well as our security. I would like to see an end to the endless 'security threat' scare campaigns which just encourage people to be xenophobic and selfish
Posted by billie, Thursday, 7 May 2009 11:35:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If Haneef is Keelty's Achilles Heel then nobody could survive in Keelty's position .
If a terrorist was arrested for murdering 50 children in London with my sim card on his person are you telling me that I would be less than a person of interest ?
How would anyone know if the card was genuine original ?
Why couldn't it be re-manufactured ,still work as a sim card and have a key code to Lucas Heights ?
If you are living with a number of people you are building up a profile of each person in the back of your mind , if you have to live with someone you need this background to live harmoniously , but the whiter than white Haneef he knows nothing ? Innocent as a newborn ?
Posted by ShazBaz001, Thursday, 7 May 2009 11:43:51 AM
How ridiculous to believe that Haneef would have been treated any differently by an AFP force headed by someone other than Commissioner Keelty. The AFP doesn’t make its own rules.

I’m inclined to think that Keelty resigned, after doing an excellent job, because he was sick and tired of toadying and incompetent politicians and left-wing loonies always keen to denigrate anything Australian.

Stephen Kleim is a one issue man because he was involved in ‘assisting’ Haneef, a man who never stood trial; a man whose innocence or guilt will never be known. Haneef’s case was handled by the Federal Police under Keelty’s leadership in a way designed to protect Australia and Australians. Haneef is out of Australia, and good riddance.

Good on Keelty. He was a good Commissioner and will be hard to replace. He certainly doesn’t deserve the abuse – “pathetic, dishonest, thoroughly appalling man’ – handed out by Bushbasher who wouldn’t have a shred of evidence to back up his stupid claim if he were to identify himself and face a charge of libel, as he certainly deserves. In the real word, calling a police officer “dishonest” is taken seriously.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 7 May 2009 3:49:31 PM
Wow, we still have supporters of corrupt authoritarian stuffups like Keelty! Howard's attitude of "God put me here so shutup" seems to have permeated all the officials working under him. (and some of his supporters too.)
Leigh: He didn't go to trial for the same reason *you* didn't go to trial: There was no evidence of wrongdoing. If you want to use circumstancial evidence to "brand" someone then why not question the family connections between Bush and Bin Laden? (A.One is a christian rich guy, the other...not)
Arresting people without due process is not protecting Australia, it is the start of chaos. Remember: the un-ravelling of a community starts with the authorities, not the minions. Authorities *must* be held to some sort of account.
Fact is a senior policeman arrested someone with no evidence and then lied about it. First an abuse of power, then proof of dubious character. Being mates with Howard may have saved him for a while (corruption had a golden era under Howard) but the nature of his compromised nature finally became too much to bear and he quit.
Goodbye, good riddance and please take the other Howard lackeys with you. (We cannot afford them anymore)
Posted by Ozandy, Thursday, 7 May 2009 4:06:23 PM
No, just a fellow who ended up way out of his depth in a job that quickly became much bigger and more important than when he was appointed.
The Libs should have moved him out - that's what would have happened in a business but by then it had all become political.
I feel sorry or him, in a way.
Posted by Ken Nielsen, Thursday, 7 May 2009 6:28:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy