The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don't patronise ladies who raunch > Comments

Don't patronise ladies who raunch : Comments

By Nina Funnell, published 26/2/2009

Patronising and judgmental, the matrons in 'Ladette to Lady' obviously missed the memo on distasteful snobbery.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Have to admit to not watching the show, however, thanks to Marieke Hardy of The Age newspaper I have heard one of the best quotes ever, from one of the Ladettes herself to the matrons:

"I just think you're trying to turn us into decorated f--kdolls for the pleasure of men," Ladette Mt Isa.

Hilarious. As Homer would say. "It's funny because it's true."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/tv--radio/leave-the-lovely-lively-ladettes-be/2009/02/25/1235237713301.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 28 February 2009 9:01:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*I just think you're trying to turn us into decorated f--kdolls for the pleasure of men," Ladette Mt Isa.*

Ah Fractelle, no point marrying them and paying their bills,
if there is no pleasure :) Let them cry in their pillows or
buy a dog.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 28 February 2009 12:42:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a fun twist the producers could bring in the woman from "You are What you Eat" or similar to explain to the obese "Lady" just what's wrong with her, perhaps some fashion consultants to explain to all the "Ladies" just how appaulingly they dress. Now that could be fun.

I've not bothered with the show much but I do recall one segment where the ladets's were advised to play hard to get. The context seemed to be to trick men, to teach that no does not really mean no.

I've also wondered about another version "Lad to Lord", where lad's were taught "Lordly" behaviour. From the tabloid reportings of Prince Harry's social life maybe they could have him in the first season.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 28 February 2009 2:50:59 PM
R0bert

We must've been channelling the same zeitgeist. I was about to promote a "Lads to Lords" program; in the interest of balance of course.

Turn a bunch of beer swilling chundering yobs into effete toffee-nosed lords, for no more reason than entertainment.

Not partial to either yobs or snobs, prefer humans of either gender myself.
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 1 March 2009 10:08:28 AM
Bronwyn thank you.

Could it be that "the reasoning behind the raunch trend" is no more than a means to sell media to the masses? This then advertises the goods required for the appropriate "raunch look" be it merchandise or plastic surgery.

And to think that young so-called "feminist" academics valorise this culture of booze, burgers and boobs
Posted by Seneca, Sunday, 1 March 2009 4:33:53 PM
Y'know, I may be missing something here, but I can't help but feel this all boils down to a pretty simple answer.

Ar*eholes are ar*eholes, be they male, female, rich, poor, loud or judgemental.
I try to avoid them regardless of what manner of pretensions they favour, be it their ability to swear or their distaste for inappropriate attire.

Ain't it a wonderfully diverse world we live in?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Sunday, 1 March 2009 6:52:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy