The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gaza distorted by the media lens > Comments

Gaza distorted by the media lens : Comments

By Antony Loewenstein and Peter Slezak, published 2/1/2009

We are compromised by the media's distorted view of Israeli politics.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All
As a layperson this situation seems frustratingly simple to me than very possibly most others visiting this site. None-the-less, I want to express that simplicity.
Every single individual that makes up the 6 billion population of the world is different. I think the main aspect that humanity needs to focus on is like Shakespeare said, "Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so".
Yes there need to be rules. Yes Israel should NOT be bombing the Gaza strip right now -they should be stopped, they should be made accountable, but according to rational, objective, international, inforced laws, that are based on everyones general wellbeing.
I think it's got to the rediculous point where no-one should live in the Gaza strip and it should be just blotted out of existance. Like a toy being taken away from two spoilt, disrespectful, inconsiderate children for not being able to share because that is how rediculuous they are behaving! Except in this case innocent people with their own individual potentials are being murdered.
If Israel and Palestine where children, what would be done? That is part of the problem, there are as many answers for that as there are people in the world.
So, world peace...? Only if people can learn to see past their own lives and realise that globalisation is here to stay and that having consideration and thought for someone next door that you see every day should be the same consideration you give to people living thousands of miles away from you with completely different perspectives from your own, reguardless of race, creed and especially religion. It's just getting stupid now, we do after all live in the 21st century. How long do we allow ourselves to keep on making the same mistakes.
Posted by Jindy, Friday, 2 January 2009 10:48:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As usual, these two vicious anti-Israel & self-hating Jews have gotten their facts wrong & try to mislead their reading public. Just two examples are necessary:
1. As the special feature in today's Age points out, during the "cease-fire" Hamas never ceased firing rockets (either by them or their proxies) - they were merely reduced significantly (see today's Age). So no, Israel did not violate the cease-fire. It was unquestionably Hamas. As stated above, Hamas never ceased fire. Regarding the tunnel issue, Israel simply bombed a tunnel that was to be used to kidnap an Israeli soldier. Naughty Israel!
2. The distortion of numbers by these 2 "distinguished" authors is mind-boggling. To quote: "Nevertheless, horrifying accounts of human tragedy are emerging from human rights workers who describe the carnage of civilians - around 380 dead and more than 1,700 injured by "surgical" air strikes that have..." Around 380 civilian deaths?! Total rubbish. By all accounts (including by the Palestinain groups themselves), around a quarter of all fatalities (currently around 400) are civilian - that's 100 civilian deaths. Unfortunately these numbers are set to rise but this is solely due to the Hamas illegal & immoral method of fighting. By the way, please name me a recent war where less than 25% of the fatalities were civilian.
The authors' hate for Israel & their embarrassment of being Jewish has confused them. Be proud of who you are!
Posted by MEBDA, Friday, 2 January 2009 11:11:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jindy, you seem a little bit apologetic for thinking the solution is "frustratingly simple". I am drawn to the Mencken quote "for every complicated problem there is a simple solution, and it is usually wrong" (I have quoted from memory, but the point is made), but on this occasion, I do think the answer is "frustratingly simple", but the implementation is exceedingly difficult.
A letter to the Herald (SMH) this week (to which I replied but was not published) made the frustratingly common comment that it is "the responsibility of every government to protect its citizens". This is one of those statements which seems unarguable at first thought, but you soon realise the statement should be that it is the responsibility of government to protect ALL citizens, no matter where they live.
continued next post
Posted by HarryG, Friday, 2 January 2009 11:31:07 AM
)continued)
If we looked at issues in terms of "how can this problem be resolved" rather than who are the "goodies" and who are the "baddies"; if we did not look on other countries as part of an "axis of evil"; if the attack on Iraq was not justified as "good for America". The trouble is that in the 21st century when we should be attempting to find ways to resolve problems without resort to war, we are not able to do so. Our mindset is "do unto other before they can do unto us". To turn the other cheek is too difficult for us. I am sure that if I were an Israeli living under the threat of a bomb from Gaza, I would want to do what I could to avoid the threat. If I were a Palestinian, living in the Gaza strip, in abominable conditions, with tough sanctions imposed while my enemy lived in "occupied territory" contrary resolutions of the United Nations, I too would want to do fight against this.
What we need is an honest broker. And we also need to get rid of these ridiculous religions which tear people asunder. That's another issue, but it does indicate how your "frustrating simple solution" is so difficult to implement.
But don't give up the (peaceful) fight.
Posted by HarryG, Friday, 2 January 2009 11:31:55 AM
In order to liberate Iraqis from the oppression and misery of Saddam Hussein's rule, all we had to do was get rid of Saddam Hussein. In order to liberate the people of Gaza from the oppression and misery of Hamas rule, get rid of Hamas. It's as easy as that, and the Gaza operation promises to be as successful as the one in Iraq. No one is saying that either Hussein or Hamas were/are pleasant company, but the parallels are blindingly obvious.
Posted by Youngsteve, Friday, 2 January 2009 12:02:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Israel invaded Egyption administered GAZA in 1967 and have controlled it since then. A few years ago, after Israel decided that it was not in their interest to remain in control of GAZA they provided some autonomy to Palestinians living in GAZA. However Israel kept full control of all the borders, the airspace and the sea. It controls all the imports of food, medicine, fuel and all other goods, including medicine from the Red Cross and other aid providers, and also much of the finance. No one is allowed in, or out, unless the Israelis give permission. Hundreds of sick and injured Palestinians have died waiting in fain at an Israeli checkpoint. Even UN officials and church leaders have been prevented by Israel to enter GAZA. Consequently their is starvation in GAZA, many children suffer malnutrition, more than 50% of Palestinians are unemployed as their is no import or export industry. Consequently the Palestinians living in GAZA are frustrated and angry. They are at the end of their tether and can endure no more. How can they care for their children? What future do they or their children have? What can we do, what options do we have? None?

In the West Bank negotiations with the Israeli's have produced little: More Israeli settlements, more road blocks, more arrests, more properties destroyed and no independent Palestinian state in sight. No wonder that HAMAS is seen as popularly elected movement to use their very limited options to change their impossible and inhuman situation. No I do not support violence, but when a peoples well-being and their future is removed by force, it is not surprising that too use force against their oppressors.
The Palestinians living in GAZA urgently need our support to regain justice and their human rights.
Posted by be, Friday, 2 January 2009 12:14:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy