The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' > Comments

What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' : Comments

By Nick Haslam, published 23/12/2008

Prejudice flourishes among people who are cold, callous, inflexible, closed-minded and conventional.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 33
  14. 34
  15. 35
  16. All
Yes CJ, henceforth don't ever refer to them as Islamophobic, OK?

There's some irrationality there certainly, but it's not a 'phobia'. So, in the interests of continuing the discussion and not 'shutting down debate' perhaps we should use the phrase "lollipop an Christmas cracker" instead.

In this way the lollipop an Christmas cracker brigade can feel all warm and fuzzy while discussing how to control a wayward portion of the worlds humanity that they feel rationally afraid of.
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 25 December 2008 12:00:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd be most interested in Pericles and CJ's comments about this:

"Muslim Enclave" "muslims only" housing project.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=113035

Which includes this statement from the Muslim Council of WA's religious advisor.....

“In South Africa, because of apartheid, all different communities were set up and it worked well. It kept people separate. We can be together in terms of our contribution to the wider community.”

I think I'll report him to Desmond Tutu :)

I don't feel it is 'Islamophobic' to have concerns about this kind of trend.....
Posted by Polycarp, Thursday, 25 December 2008 12:02:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'll comment Polyboazy, even though I'm only 3rd on your list :(

I feel sad for these people, especially that they feel that apartheid works well and that this development will help them in some way. I wonder where they might get that idea idea from. Yes, we all know it won't, but I don't want to stand in the way of them making their own mistakes.
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 25 December 2008 12:16:19 AM
Porkycrap: << I'd be most interested in Pericles and CJ's comments... >>

I can't speak for Pericles, but I'll consider your request after you've addressed your latest lies, that have been exposed in this concurrent thread:

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=2405#53221

Personally, I think that Porky's Islamophobia is just one manifestation of a deeper and more extensive psychopathology. But that's only my opinion, and I'm not as well qualified in psychology as Prof Haslam is.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 25 December 2008 12:16:46 AM
The fact is that Mr. Hasham has written a mumbo-jumbo that that throws about words like fear, prejudice, phobia, etc… and associates them to emotions, attitudes, value and beliefs…. Never ever does he link any of these to actions and ideals.

What this article is saying is that these “phobias” are irrational and counterproductive and therefore should not be used. The problem is that fear, dislike and phobias are often justified by events and ideas that can cause harm. What he is saying is that fear or dislike of the hate and violence Islam teaches is a delusion and not important. Notice that he says "Fear of terrorism contributes" to anti-Muslim sentiment, not "Terrorism contributes," as if terror is just intangible, unreal dream.

Mr Haslam develops this concept in his article “Attitudes towards asylum seekers the psychology of exclusion” in which he dismisses opposition to illegal immigration as the product of bigoted, ill-informed, immature people without the high moral standards and sublime intelligence he possesses. Not only that, he sees “germs of truth” in the accusations of “deeply-rooted racism or xenophobia”, which contradicts his statement here.

Oh, by the way, Haslam forgot to say it, but he is THE director of Researchers for Asylum Seekers (RAS), a group that, in simple terms, wants unlimited, unsupervised, uncontrolled immigration to Australia, and if you don’t agree, it says you are an evil bigot. He believes that people here should not only have no control over immigration, but should not even criticize those who enter the country illegally because it may have “negative impacts on their mental health and wellbeing.”

To those here who say some of us didn't understand the article... It is not about islamophobia being unproductive as a description or label. What Hasham is really saying is that attitudes and beliefs, even when based upon facts and events, should also not be considered valid emotional or intellectual responses. He doesn't want people to have an opinion or to act upon those opinions, at least when it comes to certain groups he advocates for.
Posted by kactuz, Thursday, 25 December 2008 3:28:39 AM
No, you're way off target mac. There is no "rational fear" of any religion. Whatever situations and labels may arise in the day-to-ay scenarios where some scary people may invoke religion, or have religious motives somehow attached to them, well they are separate issues. But fear of a religion, including Islam, is quite self-evidently irrational.

I'm not scared of Islam, Catholicism, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism, or Scientology for that matter. If fake profundities and contrived analysis by Haslam/yourself and associates lead you to claim that my expression of calm and fearlessness is some kind of machismo, well I don't care either.

I don't need to give examples of "Islamophobia": thousands of insecure bigots have beaten me to it by their own initiative. And contrary to TRTL's generous assessment, the Islamophobes' irrational responses to this thread did go some way to proving their own irrational fear. They over-reacted to an imagined threat to their cause and indeed, to their very insecure identity.

Anyway, I already mentioned Haneef twice, and the London tube shooting case once. They are glowing examples of over-reaction caused by irrational fear, or unhealthy psychic preoccupation with an imagined threat i.e., more specifically "Islamophobia".

On reading back the posts here, it seems that I have indeed picked yourself and/or Haslam (perhaps one and the same) for the "culture warriors" that you increasingly appear to be. Champions of Egyptian Copts and Assyrian Christians indeed!
Posted by mil-observer, Thursday, 25 December 2008 5:59:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...