The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' > Comments

What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' : Comments

By Nick Haslam, published 23/12/2008

Prejudice flourishes among people who are cold, callous, inflexible, closed-minded and conventional.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. 35
  12. All
Hilarious! Barely an hour or so after my posting and several scattergun responses prove my main point about the certain existence of genuinely "phobic" psyches out there!

;-)
Posted by mil-observer, Tuesday, 23 December 2008 2:42:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who can tell me which commentors did not even bother to read the article?

(hint: last comments on page2)

if they did bother to read the article, then that's even worse.

How many commentors don't make it past the title before they go in apoplexy?

Funny stuff.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 23 December 2008 2:54:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This Haslam character takes the cake for hypocrisy and dismal ignorance!

He writes an article condemning "Islamophobia" and the surreal part is that he wrote on the subject:

Project: Dehumanization: Understanding the attribution of lesser humanness to others (N. Haslam, PI)
Year: 2007-2010

YET... BASED ON HIS UTTER IGNORANCE of the content of the Quran which does this very thing...dehumanizes both Christians and Jews and even worse for mere 'Kafirs' (That's Pericles, Morgan, Bugsy,Bushbasher etc.. )

... he has the temerity..the gaul..the lack of SHAME to write in support of a faith which flagrantly does the very thing he writes against!

9:30 is the classic...."They are deluded" (Jews and Christians)

It is worth noting also that Haslam is Director of "Assylum seekers research group"

So.. let's hope that this associate professer is sent away to 'Re-education Camp' to get informed about dehumanization of non Muslims in Islamic holy writ before he makes an absolute fool of himself by writing as he did here.

TOPIC.. "Islamophobia" (if taken to mean an 'irrational' fear) is wrong, stupid and why is he talking about it AAAAA-GAIN HERE?

"Fear of Islam" though..is not irrational at all... but very soundly based on the documents Islam is based on.

FINAL... Does anyone else notice we seem to be expiencing a plethora of:

-Capitalism..'bad'
-Capitalism..'not good'
-Capitalism..'The end draweth nigh'
and
-Islamophobia...'bad'
-Islamophobia...'no more please'
-Islamophobia...'=Xenophobia, Homophobia and the Plague'

type articles over recent weeks?

Where is DAGGET our resident conspiracy theory watch puppy when we need him?
Posted by Polycarp, Tuesday, 23 December 2008 7:02:35 PM
Oh oH oh... this is just toooo GOOD..... WHAT A GOLD MINE :)

HASLAM: <Indeed, people's values and beliefs are among the strongest predictors of their levels of prejudice.>

COUGH..CHOKE.. errr noooooo KIDDing!

But wait.... does anyone notice that it is OUR beliefs and OUR values which are at fault in regard to our feelings toward Muslims?

Can some one.... anyone.. anyone at all.. show me where Australian culture has a 'belief' which can be identified (like in a written document, inCLUDing the WAP) which supports the dehumanizing or actual 'prejudice' against non Australians? (I don't accept that maintaining cultural homogeneity based on real world observations, history and national experience is such)

BUT THE BEST PART.... is this:

Question first... in regard to our 'anti Islamic' posts... who is it who immediately, vociforously, monotonously and most of all predictably LEAPS to their defense with the accusation as follows:

"You are rabble rousing and stirring up fear and loathing"
"Your fear and loathing ..yada yada"
etc..

Now.. let HASLAM speak :)..this time he is 100% correct....

<<When we ascribe an attitude that we disagree with to its holder's fear, we imply that we are braver than they are. Doing so confuses being unenlightened with being cowardly and it flatters our fortitude.>>

Ohh my.. OOOOOH MY MY MY.. that was so precious...I would have PAID him to say it :)

CJ... PERICLES... BUGSY....BUSHBASHER? :)
Posted by Polycarp, Tuesday, 23 December 2008 7:19:45 PM
This is an interesting article, not least because four commenters have so far totally misconstrued the author's main point, i.e. that prejudice against homosexuals, foreigners and Islam doesn't generally constitute 'phobia' in the technical sense of the word, since most people who are labelled homophobes, xenophobes or Islamophobes aren't consciously afraid of the objects of their bigotry.

Haslam makes a fair point, except that such terms are most commonly used to designate social, rather than pathological phenomena. For example, the term 'Islamophobia' is a neologism that provides a shorthand way of describing a particular constellation of bigotry and prejudice against Islam and its followers, rather than describing the individual psychopathology of an afflicted person. He is correct to suggest that its etiology is social rather than individual.

However, I think he's wrong to reject fear totally as an aspect of Islamophobia. Indeed, several of our most vociferous Islamophobes regularly ascribe their prejudice to what they regard as well-founded fear, based on their interpretations of Islamic sacred texts. Porkycrap is an excellent example of this, as evidenced by his spittle-flecked (and internally contradictory) posts above.

Perhaps Porky should re-read the article, since he clearly didn't comprehend it the first time. He might actually learn something about himself, because overall Prof Haslam seems to know what he's talking about when he's explaining some of the social psychological processes by which some groups of people dehumanise others.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 23 December 2008 7:46:10 PM
Seriously, you didn't read the article did you Polyboazy?

If you did, then don't try the English comprehension test on the SAT.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 23 December 2008 7:53:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. 35
  12. All