The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' > Comments

What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' : Comments

By Nick Haslam, published 23/12/2008

Prejudice flourishes among people who are cold, callous, inflexible, closed-minded and conventional.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 33
  13. 34
  14. 35
  15. All
So what exactly is the point of using a word with the suffix ‘phobia’? If it means prejudice or fear then why not use the words prejudice and fear. If you tack it onto homo, Islam, xeno then presumably it means fear and prejudice against those particular groups. So is the fear and prejudice of every other grouping of human beings in the world also entitled to be ‘phobic’? Christianphobia, Catholicphobia, Baptistphobia, Scientologyphobia, Communistphobia, Democracyphobia etc. We would have thousands of them. The word becomes meaningless.

If the word is not being used to enrich our language then there must be some other agenda at play. Using words like phobia when it is not necessary to do so is more than likely an attempt to cast a slur on anyone who does not agree with certain ideas or behaviour of the group using the word. It is meant to suggest that there is something psychologically or irrationally wrong with the opposition. That is why they use ‘phobia’ – it has connotations (themselves probably based on prejudice) that anyone with a phobia is not as well adjusted as someone without one.

We need to look for the motivation when groups begin changing the English language. Is it a contribution or is it a weapon of aggression to try and make any opposition go away?
Posted by phanto, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 3:29:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't worry Robby H you and all others who have rejected Christ will have a home for eternity and I am sure it won't be pleasant. I do sincerely hope you repent of your stupidity before then.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 4:24:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I frothed..I foamed..I ranted.. and I was wrong!

No problem Celivia :) I also am now forced (by my own realization of the deeper content of the article) to apologise to the Author who I realllly thought was out to get us :) based on the sentences

1/ Prejudice flourishes among people who are cold, callous, inflexible, closed-minded and conventional,

2/ Don’t like gays? Hate foreigners? Loathe Muslims? You may be suffering from a mental disorder.

But firstly.. while I don't fall into those categories of hate/loathe etc toward people.. I can be ticked off as feeling that about:
a) The sexual behavior of gays
b) The beliefs/doctrines of Islam.

So..quite wrongly, I thought he was writing a rant against anyone who criticizes Islam or homosexual behavior etc..

By my second post, it was dawning on me that the article was quite helpful in diagnosing the clinical condition of Pericles CJ and some others :) well..ok..it's not a clinical condition.. just a very shabby and poor attitude where they frequently USE the terms of Islamophobe against Islams critics..
NOW.. we know..that based on sound psychology, they are doing this to bolster their own insecurities and enhance their sense of "I'm braver than Poly" kind of thinking.

How does Haslam describe this attitude? :) "a disorder" a hearty 7fold amen to that.

While some on the sharp end of Pericles rapier wit and CJ's sabre or Bugsy's blunt object might feel....

"In this position it is no surprise that people feel belittled or derided as attitudinal barbarians."

to quote Haslam, for me it's like water off a ducks back :)

We conservatives may now join the fray with renewed vigour now that our opponents have been unmasked as the 'attitudinal barbarians' they really are :) (and that we knew them to be all along)

Hmmm... I think I'll recommend Haslam to the Coalition as a campaign planner :)
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 7:36:27 PM
This is too funny.

The author was essentially making the point that Islamophobia in most instances, is an incorrect term.
I agree wholeheartedly. In my many stoushes with the anti-muslim brigade on these threads, I've tried to stay away from the term. Double check if you don't believe me.

Having said that, the author points out that 'phobias' are an irrational fear, (not hatred or just plain prejudice or bigotry).

Now... it gets really amusing when we analyse the fact that so many people jumped in to attack the article, because they thought it was coming to the defence of muslims. In fact, they were so opposed, and so damn heated up on the subject, that they didn't even read long enough to realise that it was actually closer to supporting them than opposing them.

So, they simply saw key words and reacted somewhat irrationally.

I won't say that they acted in an Islamophobic manner, because it wasn't about fear... no, this article proved something more along the lines of thinking before speaking, something that the most extreme ideologues on both sides are guilty of doing.

Or, to say it using my preferred vernacular: cantankerous idiocy without proper reflection or objectivity.

(close enough, though).
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 8:11:46 PM
mil-observer,

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "culture-warriors", perhaps it refers to those totally non PC individuals who are not cultural relativists and regard totalitarian theocracies as backward and oppressive, perhaps you could point out a progressive majority Islamic state. So you see, Grasshopper, there are indeed rational grounds for a fear of Islam. Ask the Copts in Egypt, the Assyrians in Iraq, the Christians in Pakistan, there is not enough space here to enumerate Islam's victims world-wide. We could argue that there is no present danger to Australia, perhaps.

2.Haslam's article seems clear and well structured to me, although limited necessarily to a psychological analysis. You read into the text your own biases, which is what you accused others of doing.

You're not one of those dreadful "postmodernists" are you?

3.Provide some examples of "Islamophobia", I might agree.

Be cautious in assuming the moral high ground you may have nothing to stand on, every culture has negative or disfunctional institutions, not just ours. I suggest that if you want to arrogantly presume to read my mind get yourself a crystal ball, it will serve just as well as your previous attempt.

Finally, I'm sure that the "rabble" are big enough to look after themselves, they don't need my help.
Posted by mac, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 9:37:28 PM
Having re-read the thread, I'm now of the opinion that we could solve the problem very simply by replacing "Islamophobia" with "boofheaded, misanthropic stupidity". I think that would cover the various odious sentiments expressed here by those who are apparently offended by being referred to as Islamophobic.

Have a great Saturnalia, everyone!
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 11:42:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 33