The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' > Comments

What's wrong with 'Islamophobia' : Comments

By Nick Haslam, published 23/12/2008

Prejudice flourishes among people who are cold, callous, inflexible, closed-minded and conventional.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. ...
  14. 33
  15. 34
  16. 35
  17. All
Christopher wrote, "on the evidence I've seen (including yours) it does seem most likely that Islamist terrorists were responsible for those atrocities."

I think it's safe to assume that either Christopher knows that to be untrue, or he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Otherwise, Christopher would surely have demonstrated some comprehension of the 9/11 controversy after more than 3 months.

So, whilst posturing here as an altruistic 'politically correct' opponent of bigotry, Christopher sees nothing at all wrong with promoting the Big Lie of September 11 that was and is being used as the ultimate justification for wars that have claimed the lives of probably well over a million Muslims.
Posted by daggett, Saturday, 27 December 2008 9:50:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TRTL,

Do you know it had been shown a lion can peacefully co-exist with a lamb??

A display at the 1904 World's Fair and Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St.Louis attracted lots of attention--
A lion and a lamb were seen together in same cage, peacefully interacting.
The audience was very impressed. But they had no idea this was only possible because a new lamb had to be put in about every 2 days.

Will a lamb ever be safe with a lion?? Yes perhaps, when something goes wrong with the lion, (like it's dying, too weak to attack the lamb).

If the nature of a lion cannot change, I'd like to be warned about the lion, be protected from it.
Someone trying to change a lion to be "peaceful" may lull me into a false sense of security.

Similarly, Islam can only be truly peaceful if its nature can be changed.

The ONLY WAY to truly transform Islam into a more peaceful religion is to re-write Koran, (with violent messages toned down or stripped out).
But this is impossible in reality. It's TOO LATE!!
Islam is already too strong to change. Any moderate who seriously try to change the nature of Islam will eventually be killed.

To do this, you need a country with majority Muslims agreeing to rewrite the Koran. Still this is not enough. We need the UN to spearhead such a project with determination!!

Do you see this happening??

Trust me-- Encouraging the peaceful moderates will ultimately play into the hand of not-so-peaceful type.
I'm not suggesting not to encourage the moderates. That happens all the time. But above all we must be vigilant!!

For a free-society to co-exist with Islam, the key is not to placate Islam, but to actively weaken it and challenge it.
Hopefully a polarisation exists in the Islamic community. Then you can tell who are moderates and where are the extremists.
This way we're constantly reminded of the true nature of the beast and be well-protected from it.

Mil-observer,
You're thinking too much, getting twisted in knots. Here's my tip-- K.I.S.S.
Posted by G Z, Saturday, 27 December 2008 11:55:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GZ,

I agree, Islamic ideology is by its nature a threat to democracy, earlier generations faced the threat of a secular religion, Communism. However Communism failed because it couldn't deliver the goods in this life.It's not easy to demolish a superstition that promises rewards in the next life and was founded by a psychopathic bandit.

mil observer,

GZ is correct,you are wandering off into psycho analysis and becoming increasingly offensive,personal and irrelevant,it's all the result of an excess of post modernism.
Posted by mac, Sunday, 28 December 2008 8:44:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, I agree with those who say the moderates must do something.. Also I’ll add that observers of this need to start setting up apostasy refuges for those who wish to leave Islam.

I am sure it’s already been mentioned how offensive this article is, lumping the *phobes in to one basket of sexual religious (I can’t even remember the last one). Also renaming it prejudice and saying it is what ever it was to do with blood and soil is just troll like flaming of people the author doesn’t agree with.

I read this some time before Chrissy… so if I am a tad off in any miniscule word analysis, forgive me. I just wanted to add my voice to the condemning of this article as a phobic, prejudice or what ever word is permitted this week for basically bad.

But yes, reform support via apostasy and beer bikinis and fun never hurt anyone.

The reason I think the moderates must act is they are the only ones who can, as claimed they are the majority… and most attempts by others are dammed.
Posted by meredith, Sunday, 28 December 2008 11:47:30 AM
Some CONTRASTS.

1/ MUSLIMS in a DEMOGRAPHIC MINORITY (Australia)

<<LOCAL councils around Australia have been warned they risk imposing a "ghetto mentality" on the Islamic community if they continue to oppose religious projects such as the controversial proposals to build Islamic schools at Camden and Bass Hill.

The warning was issued yesterday by the founder of the Islamic Friendship Society, Keysar Trad, as he opened a prayer centre at St Marys.>>

2/ MUSLIMS IN A DEMOGRAPHIC MAJORITY SITUATION (Egypt)

<<“One thousand Christians were today trapped inside the Coptic Orthodox Church of the Virgin Mary in West Ain Shams,Cairo, after more than twenty thousand Muslims attacked them with stones and butane gas cylinders. The Church's priest Father Antonious said that the situation is extremely dangerous.

The Muslim mob that attacked the church blocked both sides of the street and encircled the church building, broke its doors and demolished its entire first floor. The mob were chanting Jihad verses as well as slogans saying: we will demolish the church" and - We sacrifice our blood and souls, we sacrifice ourselves for you, Islam".

When the security forces tried to disperse the mob, they went to nearby homes and shops owned by Christians, and were armed with sticks, butane, knives and other sharp objects. Witnesses said the mob included children from as young as 8-years old to men of over 50-years old, in addition to women.>>
(source http://www.aina.org/news/20081126035704.htm )

REASON for the ATTACK:

http://www.compassdirect.org/en/display.php?page=news%E2%8C%A9=en&length=long&idelement=5705

Objecting to a newly constructed extension to the Coptic church of St. Mary and Anba Abraam in Ain Shams, the huge crowd of angry protestors gathered outside the church at around 5 p.m. following a consecration service for the addition earlier that day.

COMMENT:

1/ 20,000 is not "a few radical Islamists"
2/ "Extensions" to existing churches are not allowed under the Charter of Omar/Code of dhimmitude. (=cultural genocide)

Do any of us see the connection between 'demography' and the tone of the Muslim community towards non Muslims?
Posted by Polycarp, Sunday, 28 December 2008 6:27:26 PM
Agree with the majority that it's not an insignificant minority of Muslims that harbour societally dangerous ideas (which is seemingly obvious). Polycarp's latest drives the point home. But the reality is, as said above, that we are living in a multicultural world. What are our options other than to be inclusive? (after all, that's where the west's strength comes from in my opinion) But without external pressure, where is the internal incentive for reform efforts to be made quickly?

Agree partially that a distinction needs to be made between Islam and Islamic terrorism. I dont think "Islam" is the sole or even major cause of "Islamic" terrorism. Islamic terrorism I think is driven by an essentially parochial and uneducated worldview that pines for a mythical idyllic bygone era or a blissful future one, combined with perceived injustices against Muslims, which are drilled into them every day by a lack of exposure to other cultures and ideas, and overexposure to the all importance of ("our") religion and ("our") people (Muslims). The religious component to this (it wouldnt matter which one) turns it into a potentially explosive cocktail. In that sense it's no different from Christianity per se. Christians of yore have used all sorts of excuses, supported by quotes from the Bible, as justification for witch trials, inquisitions, mass murder. The OT is full of death and destruction in the name of God. Granted, Christian acts of terror took place hundreds of years ago and Christians have as a whole long since moved on with the Enlightenment. Muslims will move on in the future too as they are brought into modernity via a globalised world. But it will take patience on our part too and a desire to bring them on board.

This idea that Muslims love death and hate life I don't buy. It's mostly false bravado. Look at the Israeli raids going on now and watch hardened Hamas jihadists cry their eyes out over their dead. I couldnt help thinking, hang on, I thought you guys said you wanted this - to die in holy jihad? Apparently not.
Posted by KGB, Sunday, 28 December 2008 11:21:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16