The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Secularism is not atheism > Comments

Secularism is not atheism : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 10/11/2008

Secularism is a form of neutral government that listens to all points of view. Militant and some moderate Christians don’t want that.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Max,

Interesting article.

Is Elizabeth II as, "Queen of Australia," also Defender of the Faith in our Commonwealth. Or is that merely a GB title?
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 10 November 2008 1:41:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
True enough Trav, science is not equipped to explain the origins of either life or the universe. However saying ‘god did it’ only replaces one mystery with a considerably bigger one. The onus is now upon you to explain how [your] god came about; it is not reasonable to hold science to any standard of empiricism while celebrating the absence of one yourself.

To put it another way, it’s a bit rich to scoff at the limits of science when your own position depends upon it. Secularism recognises this.
Posted by bennie, Monday, 10 November 2008 1:48:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah. The same tired old 'lie' about neutrality. Isn't it strange how the 'neutral' position always seems to line up with secular humanist beliefs.

The only thing able to be taught in state schools about the nature of reality is secular humanist belief. The only morality put forward in state schools is secular humanist morality. Amazing coincidence.

As previous commentators have noted, there is a conflict between secular humanist morality and many religions morality at multiple points. This becomes more and more obvious as secular humanists try to relegate any religious belief and activity to a subjective, personal, practice.

This intellectually dishonest crap about being 'neutral' really is lame.
Posted by Grey, Monday, 10 November 2008 2:38:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Secularism is indeed neutrality. Atheism is not.

Agnosticism is far closer to neutrality than atheism, particularly militant atheism.

This comes back to one simple issue: government should be neutral, and not favour any belief set.

To those like grey who say that secularism isn't neutral, I say, well... what is neutral?

Anything that isn't neutral is unacceptable. So... what are you proposing, hmm?

For those who whinge and whine about secular government, I say, balls to you. It's the closest thing we have to neutrality.

Answer this simple question: do you want religious government?

If the answer is no, then good. I disagree with the author, I think the Australian government is more or less secular, though I wouldn't mind if they codified this so it stays that way.

To those who say yes, I say, fine. Go to Saudi Arabia.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 10 November 2008 2:59:36 PM
I see intolerance when some people will deny the moral rights of the individual, rights that will have no affect on the intolerant person or society.
I see intolerance, when these same persons make every attempt to impose their beliefs on others, without respect for the others belief of how others see life.
Therefore to respect all beliefs in society, neutral and secular government is essential in a civilised society, were no person or groups of persons have the right, to denigrate or deny to others.
Posted by Kipp, Monday, 10 November 2008 4:33:06 PM
I find the co-incidence of timing amongst other things most amusing.

Did everyone see the rabid, frothing at the mouths "false Christian" individuals going !SICK! and !SMASHING ON! in the (Un)Holy Sepulchre?

HaHaHa

Well done *mAx* U have well pressed the buttons of some by exposing their grubby little political control mechanisms.

;-)

If the Israelis were to chuck 'em all out, insist on a cooling off period and tender the care taking role of that place out to more "reasonable & spiritually refined" individuals, they wld have my full support, pursuant to the right of all of us to put our 2c in.
(That includes *Lizzy Winza* incidentally)

The Churches well know that that thing in the corner of our flag is a symbol of genocidal oppression to more than just the Original Australians of this our planet earth and these people who argue that as neither *Lizzy* nor their biased and prejudiced traditions, flag and all have no practical significance that we shld just go along with the status quo make me want to chunder. It is quite plain that they care only for safeguarding their own positions, status and influence.

This is what comes of delusions of grandeur/infallibilty complexes. In a more enlightened society, his popiness wld probably get a needle in the bum and a stint in the monkey house and no doubt it is the (Un)Holy Spirit of donations guiding the ArchTurkey g.pell in his views as a "Climate change skeptic."

Mayhaps he is disengenuous and fears only the rise of the Greens, and is prepared to say anything out of fear of their anti-Christ delusions. Afterall, why have an active if rarely used "Exorcism" room if U believe not in our *Lord Satan?*

;-)
Posted by DreamOn, Monday, 10 November 2008 4:39:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All