The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Another perspective on evil > Comments

Another perspective on evil : Comments

By David Fisher, published 22/10/2008

The concept of Original Sin has its roots in paganism not monotheism. The nature of evil is not connected with Original Sin.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
After a romp through the article I still wonder if Original Sin was the name of a cardinal, or of the great God who created all.
Posted by colinsett, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 8:42:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you David - this has helped a great deal for it has put into perspective for me the current debate within political pohilsophy about the relationship between ideal and non ideal theory.
The Tutu interview came and at a time when I was wrestling with the problem that John Rawls in his Justice as Fairness creates in assuming that people will want to be "fair" I felt he did not take account of those people who had no intentions of being fair.
In an earlier draft I included a passage from Lord of The Flies - Golding describes the island as being wonderful and as the narrative unfolds we see that it is the actions of the boys that turn that paradise into a living hell. It seems that this is what is happening here now and now.
I suspect that it is yet another dimension of the nature versus nurture debate that will yield the answer why there is evil in the world.
John Töns
Posted by BAYGON, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 9:46:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BAYGON wrote:

"I suspect that it is yet another dimension of the nature versus nurture debate that will yield the answer why there is evil in the world."

My answer to "why there is evil in the world." is that humans are animals with language and 'evil' is a linguistic category.

I think there can be neither an objective definition of evil nor an objective definition of morality.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 10:18:01 AM
A great article from David, most of which I agree with.

The hand wringing about evil, and its source, is almost a non issue for the evolutionist and non duelist. Evil is a relative concept, definitions of which change with time, place and culture. The source of evil lies only within the evolved psyche of us humans and it's definition in our particular culture is now contained in collective law which has ascent by general agreement (i.e. Democracy).

Although not a perfect system this seems to be the only real option as definitions of evil (and sin) from religious belief and scriptural "authority" have failed miserably.

The silly concept of "Original Sin" is indeed derived from non-Christian thought and was taken up by the Roman Catholic church (like many other of their ridiculous concepts) to empower themselves.

Maybe it's time for us to move on from using ancient writing as a source of wisdom and "truth".
Posted by Priscillian, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 10:39:09 AM
Dear Priscillian,

Priscillian, bishop of Ávila (died 385), a theologian from Roman Gallaecia (in the Iberian Peninsula), was the first person in the history of Christianity to be executed for heresy (though the civil charges were for the practice of magic).

Glad you've been resurrected. As the cannibal said when he vomited up the missionary, "You can't keep a good man down."

Heresy is rejected wisdom.

Respect the sanctity of doubt.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 10:56:35 AM
I think that original sin, whilst large in christian doctrine, and deeply ingrained in people's consciousness, is increasingly recognised as Augustinian, and not intrinsically Christian. Certainly Irenaeus didn't seem to need it, and saw Adam and Eve in a different way. Andrew Prior - http://churchrewired.org
Posted by Andrew Prior, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 11:05:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy