The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The sluts-r-us approach to childhood play > Comments

The sluts-r-us approach to childhood play : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 8/5/2008

A new virtual fashion game gives young girls the message that their ultimate aim in life is to be a bimbo.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Well. Old news about the Bimbo site. Cheap article with basically nothing new to say. Can I get a job writing articles? It seems I'd be well suited.

Only one real 'point' made, in the last sentance...
'Why can’t game makers come up with games that make girls feel good about themselves rather than selling a message damaging to their health and wellbeing?'

Is it a call for censorship? Just a whinge?

I think children these days are much more media savvy than most adults give them credit for. They can see the world around them and how it works, and if you try to sanitise their play time choices, they know they are being lied to. If you take guns away from little boys playing, they'll just use a stick, or their fingers. Those happy to be me dolls really didn't sell did they?

Regardless, media is not all powerful. Children have parents, and peers, and eyes and brains.

On a tangent, why is it more acceptable/moral to celebrate intellect than beauty? Both are genetic.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Thursday, 8 May 2008 10:07:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Why can’t game makers come up with games that make girls feel good about themselves rather than selling a message damaging to their health and wellbeing?'

Why don't parents care enough to stop their kids playing this rubbish?
Posted by runner, Thursday, 8 May 2008 11:16:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said, runner.

In my view, the makers of this game do have the right to make it, though that doesn't mean it isn't rubbish.

Reist is hardly making a particularly insightful point here. I can see some wry humour in this game, most probably of a sarcastic nature. But I suspect that children wouldn't get that humour.

As usual, it's up to the parents to look out for these things. I wouldn't condone banning this game however, though I can't help but wonder if Reist would feel that way.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 8 May 2008 11:23:04 AM
is this game any different to ones such as gta? it's all just entertainment. who cares?
Posted by no1inparticular, Thursday, 8 May 2008 11:42:15 AM
Yes, ha ha.

Great humour if it's your child that's being encouraged to kill themselves by embracing these dangerous ideals.

I have several friends that have been experiencing this excruciating nightmare with their own daughters.

Interesting how censorship is only acceptable by parents, who are also expected to be all-seeing, all-knowing and all-powerful.

McDonalds have been sued for promoting behaviour that is damaging to health. It is only a matter of time until parents get mad enough to launch class actions against promoters of products like these that are harming and even killing their kids.

Perhaps the costs of compensating hurting families will make these promoters think twice about targeting little kids.
Posted by 61, Thursday, 8 May 2008 11:44:40 AM
THIS THREAD is a good dance partner with the one INDOCTRINATION...

because "Miss Bimbo" right now has 844 on line players and 566,000 registered users.

I suspect that if we dug a bit, we would find that somewhere in the dark recesses of it's management, are those with vested financial interests in the values they are promoting. Jewellery, food, fashion accessories magazines etc.

Pharmeceutical companies 'indoctrinate' the masses with suttle fear campaigns using indirect advertising, to create a CLIMATE of fear over certain medical issues for which they (no surprise here) happen to have the PERFECT MEDICAL REMEDY for......

Same same with this Bimbo thing.

Melinda.. you go girl :) but be bolder.. do your own youtube vid and utterly tear strips off these callous money grubbing people who take our children as slaves and sell them to the highest corporate bidder.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 8 May 2008 11:56:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy