The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Humans do not need to comfort themselves with fairy tales > Comments

Humans do not need to comfort themselves with fairy tales : Comments

By Kelly O'Connor, published 1/2/2008

Atheism is not the destruction of the quest for meaning - it is the necessary starting point for the journey.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Conventional religionists might live in a consoling fairy world but they know that their meat-body "personality" is going to die.

Atheists and dim-witted materialists "live" in a one dimensional iron cage (Webers iron cage) which reduces everything to meat body grossness. And they know that their meat-body is going to die.

Both are possessed by a hell deep fear and trembling---of death.

This essay describes the response of these two ideologies to the overwhelming fact of death.

1. http://www.dabase.org/noface.htm
2. http://www.aboutadidam.org/dying_death_and_beyond/index.html

This reference describes the baneful limitations of the materialist ideology.

1. http://www.aboutadidam.org/lesser_alternatives/scientific_materialism/index.html

This essay how scientism eclipsed big (false) religion as the "official" arbiter of what is true and real in Western culture.

1. http://www.dabase.org/ilchurst.htm

Plus an essay titled Right Human Life Must Transcend the Materialist "Culture" of Death at:

1. http://www.aboutadidam.org/newsletters/toc-february2004.htm
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 1 February 2008 9:34:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry Ho Hum. Don't agree with you at all when you said........

"Both are possessed by a hell deep fear and trembling---of death."

To fear your own death is illogical. Death goes hand in hand with life. Some live long, some die young, but the end is always......death!

I will confess to being mildly concerned about how I'll die. There are some truly horrible ways to die, but of death I have no fear.
Aime.
Posted by Aime, Friday, 1 February 2008 10:12:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bravo! Good article.

Ho Hum,
Talk to a nurse who looks after dying folk.
Religious people often panic because the moment of truth is near, and their "fath" often abandons them to misery.
Look also at insanity stats. Religion is linked more than athiesim.

The Infinite soul model is a lot better than "unexplainable God and infinite heaven".
Posted by Ozandy, Friday, 1 February 2008 10:20:18 AM
Atheism is the obvious response by hopelessly flawed humans who think they should determine what is right and wrong. It is the created ignoring or worse still thinking they know better than the Creator.
Posted by runner, Friday, 1 February 2008 10:32:42 AM
runner, how can I possibly think I know more than the creator, if I don't believe in the creator? How can that be?

As for determining right and wrong, well, evidently religious people thoughout history have had exactly the same problem.

It's as if you haven't actually read the article at all, or absorbed anything it's putting forward.

Which is precisely the problem, and I think, the chief assertion of the article. Religious belief seals itself against logic via the use of faith, that's why in order to truly examine the possibilities in this world, you've got to start from a standpoint where 'faith' over reason is rejected.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 1 February 2008 11:19:46 AM
Oh, how I love that Holy Bible.
I listen to it all day on my Walkman.
It gives me hope and the Holy Spirit within me (Whom I can feel all of the time) confirms the truth of it being Gods Word.
I get healed and Comforted and strengthened as I listen.
As for atheism? Whats that?
An opportunity for locust mankind to call himself king and to tear up the earth and convert it to filthy, rotten money to spend on his pleasures.
Athiesm is why the earth is dying. No respect for what God Created.
Posted by Gibo, Friday, 1 February 2008 11:41:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy