The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mainstream Islamophobia > Comments

Mainstream Islamophobia : Comments

By Syed Atiq ul Hassan, published 7/1/2008

It is debatable as to whether the media promotes harmony and solidarity in a multicultural Australian society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
BOAZ_David, can I say that perhaps is the most singularly intelligent post I've ever read of yours on OLO.

Though I will say that by definition "phobias" are not justified. I'd allow that "Reasonable concern about the rise of Islamofascism" is entirely justified.

Of course, the Christains had their go at terrorising the Muslims during the Crusades. The big difference is that the most powerful weapons they had were swords, arrows and the occasional ballista.
Posted by wizofaus, Monday, 7 January 2008 12:38:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's certainly a level of Islamophobia projected by the mainstream media. Take for instance Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali's comments about women, men, meat and animals. The media picked up on in and focused on the comparison between women and meat. I think they missed the point. The point is that men (specifically those that would rape) are animals, and from their point of view women are nothing more than meat. And while a woman cannot control the actions of these men, she can control her own actions, and so like one would not get close to a wild animal without protection it is equally unwise to make oneself a target of such men.

Of course while women are capable of taking 'preventative action', I'm not suggesting that they are responsible or there should be institutionalized action restricting women. I'm just highlighting the almost unanimous negative view taken by the media.

The article also seems to be a bit hypocritical, complaining about Christian extremists (pigs head, etc) as if they are the mainstream while simultaneously arguing that Islam extremists aren't representative of Islam.

I think much of the fear is not of the religion itself, but with the culture that comes with it. Like the way various pagan and Roman traditions & ideals were absorbed by Christianity, there has been significant amounts of the barbaric, tribal culture of the middle east absorbed into Islam. It is this undemocratic, uncompromising, aggressive culture that is feared, not the tenants of faith expressed by mainstream Islam.
Posted by Desipis, Monday, 7 January 2008 1:02:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All phobia's are justified as they are essentially an

" intense, unrealistic fear, which can interfere with the ability to socialize, work, or go about everyday life, that is brought on by an object, event or situation".

Usually these are ammenable to treatment - as such Islamaphobia should be treated some what like a disease.

It is indeed intense unrealistic fear etc etc - just look at us and the way we carry on
Posted by sneekeepete, Monday, 7 January 2008 2:18:26 PM
It isn't the media's job to promote so-called "peace"
and so-called "harmony." In any case, Muslims get a better
run in Christian-majority countries than do Christians in
Muslim-majority countries.

I'm glad people are speaking out against Islamism. And,
this is a democracy. The more debates the better, but one bit
of advice: If you use the word "Islamophbia" then I have the
right to use the word "Christophobia."
Posted by History Buff, Monday, 7 January 2008 2:34:06 PM
A phobia might be justified, but how can we possibly justify spelling the plural form with an apostrophe? We all can make mistakes, but surely ones like this really diminish any impact the contribution might otherwise have had.
Posted by HarryG, Monday, 7 January 2008 2:35:08 PM
Er, if a phobia is an "unrealistic fear", then it's not justified, in my book.

Of course, people suffering phobias may rationalise justifications for them, but those justifications are not convincing to anyone not sharing the phobia.
Posted by wizofaus, Monday, 7 January 2008 2:44:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy