The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s time to privatise the ABC > Comments

It’s time to privatise the ABC : Comments

By Felicity McMahon, published 8/8/2007

We have a national broadcaster that is the mouthpiece of the left for which all taxpayers are forced to foot the bill.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. 14
  14. 15
  15. 16
  16. All
As Jon Faine said on Sunday the ABC runs ABC radio, Radio National, JJJ, News Radio, Radio Australia, ABC TV, ABV TV 2 on a smaller budget than Channel 7.

Clearly, privatisation delivers less bang for the buck!
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 6:02:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wake up to the alarm in the morning, scuff to the kitchen and fill the kettle. Then I switch on the radio, and on comes music to meet the day; ABC classic FM.

So Felicity if you want me to be unhappy and aggro when I walk into work, privatise the ABC.

Felicity darleeng, you have had a privileged life, enjoy it and dont interfere in others. Thats how wars begin, and your mate JWH as caused enough misery, so! If its not broken and it brings happieness, dont touch it!
Posted by Kipp, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 6:16:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rather than privatising it we should look at the whole PS culture and have a freer interchange of employment between the Private sector and the PS.No more jobs for life and have more accountability.For some reason the PS seems to be a protected species.

How can you but have a left view of life when you have gone from home, to school and to Dear Old Aunty?Nearly all children when they leave school think that the worlds owes them a living.It is all a part of the growing up process but sheltered workshops inhibit our growth and maturation.There was never any need for them to know about survival or who really brings home the bacon.

All our Govts both Federal and State just pay lip service to reform, reducing regulation,waste, and red tape.

What Polly would dare disturb their universe since Pollies insulate themselves with bureaucrats?
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 7:16:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry but I see Felicity as a deluded radical right propaganda mouthpiece who is parroting what she was told to say and who sadly, appears to be against free speech and democracy, demanding that the ABC sprouts only radical right wing propaganda. As others have said she doesn't even successfully argue her point, just blathers on with her radical right, anti-democracy propaganda, which is actually a plagarised from one of The Oz's blogs.

When I was obtaining my degree in Psychology I did a thesis on how the Germans were brainwashed into giving up democracy in favour of Nazism and how it could happen in western democracies. Therefore to see Felicity actually say 'it enrages me that opinions of the left are aired and then legitimised' made me aghast as that was essentially suggesting between the lines, that not only the ABC should only attack the Opposition but also should only support what the government is pushing, which IMO is too close to what happened in Germany to make me comfortable.

Because the ABC tries to give both sides of the story rather and questions both sides of politics, Felicity sees it as bias. Evidently what she wants is to have the ABC, and indeed every TV channel and newspaper be a government mouthpiece similar to The Australian.
But you have not even successfully argued that the ABC is severely biased. Another writer said it succinctly 'What you really mean to say is that you want to make the ABC a mouthpiece of the RIGHT.' Again, very frightening. In addition, being a radical right mouthpiece and having this article in both The Australian and OLO I fear that if reelected Howard plans to privatize the ABC because, despite Howard having filled the ABC board with his conservative appointees, the ABC still give moderate and balanced coverage rather than state sponsored propaganda extolling how great Howard is as he pushes for a federal dictatorship gradually and insidiously dispensing with democracy
Posted by Bobbicee, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 9:05:00 PM
What a lot of garbage, we need a diversity of media with as much varying opinion as possible. At a time when media sources are becoming fewer, the ABC is an important Institution.
Apparently, we ordinary people should not be allowed to see or read various opinions on issues.
Posted by ant, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 9:57:39 PM
Stickman says "The exodus of ABC staffers into Labor preselection is hardly an advertisement for a wholly impartial staff, is it?"

A quick Google search turned up the following list of Liberals recruited from the ABC: "Cameron Thompson, a former ABC Radio journalist in Darwin who now represents a Queensland seat for the Liberals; Rod Henshaw, of ABC Radio in Queensland, who stood for the Liberals in 1998; Stephen O’Doherty, who was a Liberal shadow minister in NSW until 2002; Ian Cover, a former Liberal MP in Victoria who now broadcasts on the ABC as a member of the Coodabeen Champions; Cathy Job, who worked in ABC Current Affairs and went to work for former Howard Government minister David Kemp." Not to mention Pru Goward.

No question that the ALP scored a coup recruiting Maxine McKew, but it's hardly been one-way traffic, despite what some posters would like to believe.
Posted by Johnj, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 10:38:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13