The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > If only MPs were smarter on terror > Comments

If only MPs were smarter on terror : Comments

By Waleed Aly, published 25/7/2007

The Haneef case highlights the difficulties democracies have in responding to terrorism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Now we are being told that it is outrageous to criticise the federal police. (Let's take the next step down the well-worn path to a Malayasia-style managed democracy.) We must wait till the trial occurs.

And after the trial, no doubt we will be told that it is old news. If the man is deported on what we are now told is merely shadowy--meaning ambiguous-- evidence, no doubt questioning that evidence will be met with the same responses.

This is no way to allow our country to be run. It is imperative that we criticise the federal police.
Posted by ozbib, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 12:04:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am, undoubtably naive, but I think of how others may have felt at a particular time:
I am in a nightclub at a popular holiday resort when bombs set by muslims go off and kill or wound all around me
I am dining at a restaurant at the same resort when a suicide muslim bomber sets off his bomb and kills or wounds all around me
I am at work in a tower when muslim hijackers drive a plane into my workplace killing thousands around me.
All the dead or wounded are innocent, they did no harm to anyone but the muslim killer does not care about that, he simply is obeying his need to kill...because he is muslim and that is what he has been taught to do.
So if my government overreacts to any perceived or unperceived threat to keep those killers away from me or mine, I am very glad.
Posted by mickijo, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 3:19:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mickijo, there's an old racing chestnut which goes "Punters are normal people until they arrive at the track; then they remove their heads and replace them with pumpkins"

Thus is it with most "lefties" and apologists for murder at the behest of allah. They see a fleeing man, tossing aside his well-paid cushy job at a large Australian Hospital, hoping to escape on a flight to India, bearing a one-way ticket, having not bothered to inform anyone of this intention, indicating (to any normal person, not wearing a pumpkin instead of his/her head) an intention to not return

Coincidentally this person has a cousin who has just tried to murder dozens of people, using a device(a SIM card) of the same type as this fleeing person has recently given him. This escaping Doctor apparently did NOT leave his library Card; his gym membership, his Holiday Inn 2 for 1 voucher, nor his (4p off) discount petrol coupon for the 2nd Cuz to use. Nor a Fifty Pound note ("I won't be needing this in Australia Cuz"). Until he saw the burning 4WD at Glasgow Airport, this Doctor had also forgotten what a hurry he was in to see the birth of his child.

I won't go into the time I lent my high powered zoom video camera to MY cuz. "How was I to know he was part of a paedophile ring?" I asked the coppers as they drove me from the park next to the local school in my trenchcoat and attached trouser-legs. All circumstantial and a crazy mix-up! I was looking for pumpkins but there were no lefties in that patrol car...unfortunately. Cheers.
Posted by punter57, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 3:46:07 PM
Wobbles - "It [terrorism] is usually the only remaining practical alternative for some groups when meaningful negotiation has failed or is not possible."

So what is your explanation of the terrorist attack on Australians in Bali? What was the failure in 'meaningful negotiation' that supposedly drove JI to murder?

Shonga - " ... sitting in a shack eating rice with fish ... knew others in the world were starving ..."

Would it occur to any of the starving people to blame their own corrupt governments and their own greedy ruling classes (who live in luxury while the people starve)? No, its easier to blame the West.
Posted by dee, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 4:12:22 PM
OK mickijo,

I am a 35 year-old Muslim man and I am ordered by Coalition troops to remove the body of my nine-year old son from the middle of the road at gunpoint - with a bucket and shovel- because he got in the way of an APC that was passing through moments earlier.

I am a Muslim woman who is searching for the missing head of her daughter who was hit by a stray missile while shopping in the local marketplace.

These were innocent people too. They are people first and Muslims second. Is this how we hope to win their hearts and minds?
Posted by rache, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 4:17:50 PM
mps would be smarter, if ozzies weren't so dim. it's the wildebeest-hyena equation: if the hyena runs too slow, he doesn't eat. if he runs too fast, he overeats and runs out of food.

pollies and mugs have a similar relationship. they're just smart enough to get your vote, not so smart as to be able to talk over your head and make you nervous.
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 4:21:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy