The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Traditional Humanities out: Creative Industries in > Comments

Traditional Humanities out: Creative Industries in : Comments

By Gary Ianziti, published 10/5/2007

What sort of university will QUT be without a Bachelor of Arts degree?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Wow Dave.Hit a nerve have I?

‘And you keep missing the larger point: not everyone takes a job or wants a job (maybe read Daniel06's post); not everyone treats university instrumentally in this way.’

Firstly, as public money is involved, what is the public expectation of how funding is spent? While my lack of empirical data has obviously riled you, why don’t you wander through the Queen Street Mall at lunchtime, or better still a coal mine at smoko (it’s a word derived from Australian slang, now obviously meaning ‘Cup of Tea after working to pay the bad HECS debt of students who never wanted a job anyway), and see how well your proposition goes down?

The comment also illustrates that the academic ‘elite’ (I use that term loosely) isn’t in touch with general public sentiment in this country-that’s a personal opinion, but one that I think would be supported widely given how patronising your posts are. How can you seriously contend that the resources of universities can be legitimately utilised by people who do not intend on ever being capable of paying back HECS, AUS-STUDYetc? Does this mean their Centrelink forms were completed fraudulently or that any student is entitled to graduate and rely on social security ad infinitum (since you have a penchant for linguistics that’s Latin- to infinity; forever)? Why aren’t these ‘intellectual’ seekers of utopia paying their way at Cambridge, or dare I say it, Bond University?

You were right though in stating that I was being generous in referring to 2000 data regarding the unemployment of students who graduated solely with a BA. Even if you accept your contention that they are likely to find it ONLY twice as hard as other students to get a job, today, they’d be confined to Woolworths, backpacking in Spain or better, a mobile pie truck at Mt Isa. Let me know when any think tank has the social conscience and moral courage to comprehensively survey graduating arts students and map out their exact destinations of employment. The 1 in 2 that actually have a job will be thrilled
Posted by wre, Thursday, 17 May 2007 6:04:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daniel06 "The Humanities are the pinnacle of true intellectual study". That is: only if you agree with Daniel06 otherwise the Humanities pump out “idiots”. You've spent a great deal of time doing what you resent others for doing. You've been attacking the "uneducated" and now you join those that attack the educated because an educated one doesn’t agree with you. .

Re: your claim that I “verbatum copied from mine [Daniel06’s first line]. … “? Once again. You missed the point. (I thought we uni- educated had poetic licenses. And I thought you educated geniuses had the sense to see the take). My point - you're no better than others that you've obsessively disparaged as stupid. I also pointed out that my formal education was only one aspect of my education. Your attention to detail is very, very poor –it was not verbatim. You've also displayed a limited ability to reason abstractly. You’ve been doing drugs since you were thirteen? Hmmm. Limited ability to reason in the abstract is a sign of neuron damage.

You spend a lot of time clutching rather than dealing with the real issues I raise. People can read your lame and spiteful attempts to be clever and paint yourself out of the Catch22 pickle your arrogance and prejudice landed you in Daniel06. Yes I did learn in Uni that bluster like yours is no substitute for rigour and inquiry. I also know the odd angry meatworker who’d see by instinct/intuition alone that you’re all talk and a bona fide waanker. Cycling is as harmful as illicit drugs – and we’re all a joke to you?

You, and graduates like you, are a disgrace to academia and good reason why people lose trust in the more sensible, humble and selfless academic fraternity.
Posted by ronnie peters, Friday, 18 May 2007 1:29:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What kind of QUT without BA courses. An illicit drug-free one?

Daniel06 et al, I forgot to mention that in five people make up my immediate family. One a Doctor of Philosophy (Science), one doing Honours (Science), one graduate (Creative Arts), one graduate (Humanities -double major –took some at level 4 because level three too simple) one partly finished (Commerce)- my extended family also includes another Doctor of Philosophy (Science) and hence your claims that I don’t know how hard it is to get a degree are just another of the many myths you’ve tried to create about people because you disagree with them.

You've made a complete twat of yourself with your arrogance and prejudice.

Some of those “uneducated” people you loathe have more insight and sense than you’ll gather with your closed-minded attitude. . You slag these people as idiots, etc. ad nauseam because they’ve chosen to live by sensible rules with a time-proven and simple moral basis (in their estimate but which you regard as myth).

You’re a person whose talk indicates that you think yourself an intellectual giant who thinks he can bully others - but in the end Daniel06 you’re just a redneck bully. What a waste.

Daniel06 don’t bother reading the quote below from an African-American -it’d be stupid to you. Didn’t slave owners call men who they saw as beneath them “boy”? You consistently call others you believe you are superior to “boy”. That thinking is racist and racist thinkers are racists. Besides your head might explode if it had to absorb something outside your entrenched redneck schema. Drugs are fun, drug are fun, all who disagree are dumb, drugs are fun. Keep that there arrogant mythic chant going?

“Nettie I still don’t understand. I don’t neither. ....

I feel bad sometime Nettie done pass me in learnin. But look like nothing she say can git in my brain and stay. She try to tell me something bout the ground not being flat. I just say, Yeah, like I know it. I never tell her how flat it look to me.”
Posted by ronnie peters, Friday, 18 May 2007 3:57:38 PM
Ah Ronald,

You make it too easy for me. I almost feel sorry for you - but I am still going to point out a couple of your abject flaws anyway just for fun.

1. Calling me a waanker is like calling me a shaver, or a tooth brusher - we all do it. Perhaps you should try it. You might chill out a bit. Oh but knowing your blind faith in urban myths you probably think masterbation sends you blind.

2. If Humanities Degrees churn out "idiots" then by default you have just called yourself and another member of your family an idiot as you yourselves have a Humanities Degrees. Thats the only catch 22 I can see Rony ron ron boy.

3. I have seen crack-heads who are more articulate than you - read through your posts and see how bad the grammer and articulation really is.

It must annoy you so much to know that I run a successful business, have an absolute babe for a girlfriend, loads of mates a massive house (several of them actually) and my intelligent, articulately spoken opinions are shared by virtually everyone.

It pleases me to know that you are a krusty old fart who will move on well before me and that I will enjoy a world without you in it at some point. A luxury you don't have with me Ronny boy.

Have a great weekend - I'm going clubbing and enjoying the fruits (in all their chemical compositions) of my labor.
Posted by Daniel06, Friday, 18 May 2007 4:08:18 PM
Well said Ronnie. Daniel06 obviously vastly over estimates his own intellect given all he had to say related to sex, protein shakes and personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with him. No doubt he is sitting in his chair giggling and congratulating himself on just how funny he thinks he is. Why don’t you take your ‘babe’ of a gf to your favourite ‘club’ and indulge your infantile preoccupation for material possessions- very cultured. The difference between you and I Daniel is that I have it all but I don’t compile lists to feed my ego by referring to my mortgage and lease agreements staring right at me. How many friends did you buy? Does your girl friend know your wealth is fake and you’re really a low breed who sits on OLO insulting well respected posters like Ronnie?

You’re a disgrace Daniel.
Posted by wre, Friday, 18 May 2007 4:17:10 PM
You are right WRE,

I am sitting here giggling and thinking about how great I am.

And funny.
Posted by Daniel06, Friday, 18 May 2007 4:20:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy