The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Black dog isn't really invincible > Comments

Black dog isn't really invincible : Comments

By Geoff Gallop, published 10/5/2007

Imagine a world in which every second feels like a year and the ability to laugh has been extinguished.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
It is good that high profile people who have suffered mental illness are coming out of the closet. If we hear of successful people having mental illness, the social stigma may be lessened a little.
Posted by healthwatcher, Thursday, 10 May 2007 10:20:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Depression - or talking about it - is growing in popularity, much like the I-am-a-star-so-I-must-line-up-for-rehab cult
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 10 May 2007 11:02:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh. You need to get laid, dude.
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 10 May 2007 11:09:34 AM
I shouldn't dignify Leigh's contemptuous comment except to say something about rehab. Rehab is not necessarily a solution because some people may be convinced that they have a solution to their problems if they take a short break from the world - a sort of quick fix.

The way out of depression permanently really means fundamentally changing your world view. Depending on the individual it can entail counselling, meds or a combination of both. But depression will continue if the depressed person maintains the same mindset and doesn't want to change.

The clinical psychologist Dorothy Rowe at www.dorothyrowe.com.au is an inspiration to me. Those who are interested should seriously get hold of some of her books.
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 10 May 2007 11:24:05 AM
"It is good that high profile people who have suffered mental illness are coming out of the closet"

Yeah, good for drug company and psychiatrist back pockets maybe.
But good for depression sufferers? Remains to be seen.
Posted by Donnie, Thursday, 10 May 2007 11:54:38 AM
Well Donnie it's patently a good idea if it lets depression sufferers know they're not alone.

Having said that, I find the statistics he uses somewhat disturbing. As someone who's been undergoing treatment for depression for over three years his happy stats on speedy recovery just make me feel worse.
Posted by Atom, Thursday, 10 May 2007 2:08:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy