The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Black dog isn't really invincible > Comments

Black dog isn't really invincible : Comments

By Geoff Gallop, published 10/5/2007

Imagine a world in which every second feels like a year and the ability to laugh has been extinguished.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
David JS wrote about changing a mind-set. Maybe he has done CBT
with or without meds. I hope it worked for him. There are many different 'types' of 'depression' David. Some of us fought the sadness for 40 years, changed mind-sets, changed careers, changed
outlook on and on it went. One day I got to work and I couldn't speak. My body (read brain) just refused to work any longer, hospital, meds. In two weeks I felt what I understood to be 'normal'
for the first time in my adult life. My mother died at 53 after a lobotomy..shrinks think mine is inherited. I think too many people
(not you) are latching on to the next new thing...depression....
some are genuine, some will not be. We all need to be kinder to ourselves. If we keep hurting ourselves,(depressed) we must believe deep down that we deserve it...and yes, the awareness and treatment is ongoing for the rest of our lives, for some of us... Be still and nurture yourself.
Lesley
Posted by lesley, Thursday, 10 May 2007 2:47:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Be still and nurture yourself''

I can't help thinking that it's this mindset that is signficantly to blame for the depression "epidemic''. It all seems to be about self, self, self. Self-fulfilment, self-esteem, self-satisfaction...

If you're self-centred and think you have some sort of right to be happy all - or even most - of the time, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Posted by grn, Thursday, 10 May 2007 3:50:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was very surprised to sign up today and find Geoff's item. You see I've had this thing since I was 10. Always felt "wrong" but never knew why. Until the major events at 35 and 48 kicked me out of my tree. In between I used alcohol and somehow it sustained me for those 14 years.

Alas the last hit has not let go yet, 8 years ago.

I've done it all, like Lesley and there is no answer for some. I have recently, 3 months ago, been diagnosed as vaguely bi polar, Mixed affective state they call it. In medical terms it basically means "We have no idea but we know you are deeply depressed".

I went into hospital and really enjoyed the company of those like me. Long termers. All with hope but also used to relapses and desperately wanting those periods of reprieve. Good times do exist, even for us.

I came out so well I was full of energy, could write (amateur), actually did things and took my family places. I still plunged quickly down at a word or something simple so I was all over the place. Saw the doc who solved it with the "I don't know" diagnosis. He prescribed a mood stabiliser which removed all the good stuff and left me where I was 7 years back. My partner rang him and he said"It shouldn't have done that". Oh well.

Celebrity sufferers like Geoff are used by the media and organisations like Beyond Blue. Used to pretend there is hope for all when there isn't. Many just have to learn to live with it and ride out the storm.

I feel for Geoff but he's really only just started a journey whcih I hope is short. If he has deferred help for a long time then his trip will be even longer. It's normal.

Some of his statements are the naive dribble doctors give us early on. All the treatments, CBT which doesn't do a cracker for the deep depressions. Drugs, talk, talk, talk.

Continued, sorry.
Posted by pegasus, Thursday, 10 May 2007 4:01:46 PM
well well "grn" You sound like the old school of grin and bear it.
Nurturing self does not mean selfish! It means just that nurture yourself etc. and stop expecting others to do so.

You could do with some nurturing methinks. We are talking about clinical depression here 'grn', an illness. This is not a forum
to criticise, but to help others. You sound like a man, (no criticism intended), but I could be wrong.

Lesley
Posted by lesley, Thursday, 10 May 2007 4:03:46 PM
This statement of Geoff's "Since my decision to seek medical help for depression early last year, I have learned (should be learnt mate) a great deal about myself and the condition." too is how we feel. We feel we are getting to grips with the enemy and know what to do. Ahhh, no, we don't. It changes Geoff. Constantly and regularly.

This statement "The more they do, the more they feel they have to do. They act for others and they work beyond reason to achieve at the highest levels." tells me the depression is light and there is hope as deep depression immobilises and isolates you so much you just shut down and hide.

I dislike intensely Geoff's emphasis on professionals as if they have different issues to deal with. They don't. For proof just check out the depression rates in China. They are booming, same rate as here really. Depression doesn't discriminate Geoff. People do.

My view is we are all prone to depression but it is the life events that decide if we feel depression or not. I've had 6 such major events and it was the very first that is the root cause. Yet I am now diagnosed as sort of bi polar. Genetic? 33%, studies show. nvironment, the rest.

I do agree strongly with Geoff about catching it early. That does allow recovery, often quickly. Yet the illness defies that seeking treatment and grows daily. Catch 22.

Other comments. Leigh. If only I could let you feel it mate. Humbling and devastating. Takes everything from you.

Grn. No idea at all. Depression is a highly selfish illness mate. It makes you think of nothing but you. Negative, all of it. You talk internally all day and night, seek within yourself for something, anything. Yes it's about me as that's the nature of the illness.

Would you criticise someone with a broken leg for not walking properly? I guess you would from your attitude.

Lesley, see you at the top of the black hole, OK? Someday.

Apologies for the length but....
Posted by pegasus, Thursday, 10 May 2007 4:10:46 PM
Look, I accept that there are people who suffer from debilitating depression and its been with them for most or all of their lives. This is a very small section of the population and they should have our sympathy.

I also accept that people suffer extreme depression caused by extreme life events that can even lead to suicide. In some cases medication might help. But that sort of depression is quite normal for human beings. It is not an illness. I would never tell anyone who was still depressed two years after the death of a loved one to snap out of it, it takes some people longer. But for most the depression will eventually lift.

But I am extremely suspicious of this alleged epidemic of depression that is apparently cutting a swathe through the ranks of wealthy, professionals - and these people who go to a doctor and suddenly discover they have been depressed for the last 35 years. It seems many of those people want to find one root cause for all their problems and "depression" fits the bill.
Posted by grn, Thursday, 10 May 2007 5:58:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy