The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We haven’t come a long way baby at all > Comments

We haven’t come a long way baby at all : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 16/3/2007

We have to acknowledge the tragic truth: the movement for women’s equality, in many ways, appears to have failed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
Often the mythical glass ceiling is blamed for women not reaching the higher levels of business.

Yet one factor which tends to be ignored and that is the old school tie, which basically means that even if you are qualified for the job, you will not be employed because of the below reasons.

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,21546439-462,00.html
"Jobseekers are being warned about "social" discrimination in the job market. Executive recruiter Slade Group says social discrimination - which can be based on the way you speak, where you live or where you were educated - is particularly prevalent in entry-level and mid-level roles."
Posted by JamesH, Saturday, 14 April 2007 7:10:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's one thing to have a general non discriminatory human resource policy. It really doesn't matter on the floor who believes what. They are there on an hourly contract at x dollars/hr. and if they don't work out they can be replaced with out incurring a heavy loss. Management on the other hand is hopefully a tighter knit of mutual views and experiences. It isn't the place for extreme differences of view. There is a corporate direction and every person at that level must be simpatico; agreeable, likable, congenial, sympathetic, on the same wave length. People go where they know from experience they can find that type. Injecting a radical, whether it is a man or a woman into that environment can cause untold damage and financial loss. Many a corporation has gone down the tubes due to political infighting. A woman with something to prove is no more wanted than a man with something to prove. Of course the man doesn't have the easy out of blaming his failure on his sex. I don't really know how much longer women will be able to use that excuse, it's a pretty lame horse these days. My boss is a woman and she wont have any of it. I've heard what happens when someone says to her, "It's because I'm a woman isn't it?"
Hello. Coroners Office. Who's calling please?
Posted by aqvarivs, Sunday, 15 April 2007 6:35:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
aqvarivs,

one of my female bosses could never resist giving me a hard time coming out with sexist comments like 'You men are all the same.' and other comments which I will not post here. Funny isn't it us blokes get accussed of generalising all the time, which is something women never do!

Sure I could bring a sexual harrasment case, but beleive hell would seem like heaven when compared to what life would be like at work if I ever did that.

Anyway one day I had had enough and she came up to me and said "Here's some bed time reading to keep you entertained!"

Before I could even think, I said "What are you offering to sleep with me?" then I thought 'Boy have I done it now!'

She went a lovely shade of pink and has been as nice as pie ever since.
Posted by JamesH, Sunday, 15 April 2007 8:05:57 AM
SEXISM

I recently had an "encounter" with a girl. I kicked her, I kneed her, repeatedly, over and over... kick..knee... kick, kick... mainly aiming at her mid section, trying to avoid her breasts. Well.... don't worry, it was in a gym and she had a thick pad she was holding against her chest.
The funny thing was, the 'drill' was to practice kicking (she had a turn at me also) where the kicked person was supposed to hold their ground if possible.
Now.. my weight is just over 100kg, and hers about 65 tops and I did hold my ground, so in stead of me being pushed back, she ended up pushing herself back. One of our trainers, a female who has a bit of a reputation for being 'rough' (in speech and attitude) yelled at me "Come on..don't be a total pr*ck" (i.e. for not allowing myself to be pushed back and giving my training partner a false sense of being stronger than she really was)

In short, I was expected to 'act' in a much weaker way so my female partners self esteem was not damaged by realizing she is not actually as strong as a bloke. Had she been a bloke, with the same weight difference, nothing would have been said. Its no biggy to me, I just found it interesting that a girl (the trainer) took a 'sexist' view of things when she herself would be reluctant to accept that girls are physically weaker than blokes.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 15 April 2007 8:23:13 AM
I am the oldest male child and have two older sisters and one sister just younger. Trust me I know all about women and what they can get up to but, for myself I like it. I like the difference. I appreciate femininity. I can sit for any length of time just watching women walk past me. Not in some pervert behind the hedge scene but just watching them walk. I love the play of motion. I like looking deep into their eyes when they are mad as hell and they know that they are powerless to do anything but be angry and I wait patiently for that glimmer that comes deep in the back of the eye as they realize in the midst of their anger that I to am equally powerless but never the less I was there, and then I get my hug and the laughing starts. I perish the day women become grey unseen sexless automatons. I know that some fembots believe that is the height of female freedom but, egads, for me that would be the end of days. Men are stronger than women in many ways and I think also that women have their strengths that may often go amiss because they are more subtle. As human being we are set apart from every other creature on earth through our ability to express Love, not just copulate. It's a very special language unique to humans. I believe it is Gods language, the language of the spirit, the soul of the human experience. I think however much good was originally done in the name of womens rights something was also broken by the politicalisation of the sexes. Some where along the line I must be French. Vive la différence.
Posted by aqvarivs, Sunday, 15 April 2007 9:38:09 AM
Last year JamesH said: "I hear groups of women constantly portraying men in a negative fashion, inded, it seems to be a favourite sport amongst them."

Referring to JameH et al one could say: "I hear groups of men constantly portraying women in a negative fashion, in fact it seems to be a favourite sport amongst them."

If you JameH et al find it so objectionable to indulge in that kind of ""sport", why are playing that game then? You regard it as wrong for women but, according to your posts and the references you use on OLO, clearly regard it as right for men, especially in relation to women who don't fit your schema of a the good girl?

Of course you find it even more incomprehensible that a man could disagree with you. - to the point that you think them female. You have to bring in all these theories and opinions of males (like me); about how we must be headf*#cks, pleasers, brainwashed or have some disorder or male weakness. You guys are hilarious the way you posit these as if they are gospel when I fact anyone with half a brain would see they're baseless assumptions to demean the others’ point of view - that's propaganda boys. You seem to hate feminists and yet use the more radical feminist’s arguments and methods against any male who disagrees with your perspective.

It would be so much easier to get to the many true problems facing males if folk with your views would play the game with a lot more grace, lot less hatred, belittlement, negative political game playing and please get rid of your self-serving pretentious and patronising rubbish about women. Okay we believe you aren't misogynists - maybe.

You haven't come a long way at all fellas. And you're holding the girls back. Thus you're holding the betterment of humankind back. Kisses and hugs and lots of love to you all. Who’s pretentious –me? No! xoxoxoxoxxox.

RE: marriage we must never "walk away" without exploring every way of staying together. Found this for you RObert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb959zm4WfM
Posted by ronnie peters, Thursday, 26 April 2007 1:18:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All