The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Core curriculum as rubbery as ‘core promises’? > Comments

Core curriculum as rubbery as ‘core promises’? : Comments

By Cathy Byrne, published 15/2/2007

A national curriculum for Religion Education - what a marvellously simple item for the agenda … but whose agenda?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Dawkins does not dismiss all mystical thought as insanity: he argues that, for instance, the belief in God as Man is absurd. However, I don't think this detracts from the author's main point. If all deistic religions are in fact silly, it's difficult for any one religion to argue some rational superiority.
Posted by bushbasher, Thursday, 15 February 2007 8:40:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Personally if educators are going to pervert the gospel message by watering it down to just 'another religion' then I would rather them leave it out all together. Just means that private schools will continue to grow and the humanistic and other false religions practiced and taught in State schools will continue to destroy lives. More and more people are turning to home schooling with amazing results.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 15 February 2007 9:17:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I always get a chuckle out of the term "agnostic." Am I correct in thinking that 'agnostic' is a doctrine/theory that means man cannot know God, first truths, or anything beyond material phenomena? (Taken from Funk & Wagnalls Dictionary). I've heard the term agnostic used to describe many different positions in it's relationship to religion, but mostly I find it used to describe someone (an "agnostic") who isn't really sure if God exists or not, but is too scared to fully "not" believe. Being "not really sure", they tend to sit on the fence, unable to make up their minds one way or the other. Ok! Nothing wrong with that in principle, but in reality, there can be no "fence sitting" when it comes to religion. Either you're a believer, or an atheist. If you're a Christian, you must fully believe in Jesus to become one with him. You must also believe that Jesus is one with God the Father and the Holy Spirit. No use sitting on the fence, that won't cut it with God.
Posted by Aime, Thursday, 15 February 2007 9:30:15 AM
Kick Religious Teachings to the curb, they have their families and sundays to practice their religion.

All my religious teachings at school where little more than propoganda, it is disgusting that any religion encroaches on education. there is enough facts in the world to grasp without having subject children to unproven, false teachings.

If there are hundreds of religions in the world, and lets say 1 of them was actually correct, the other hundreds would be wrong, incorrect and possibly downright decieving.

Religion has its place in the private lives of those who choose to subscribe. It does not need to be brought into education, we need every second devoted to learning things that are beneficial to the children.

I am annoyed that at least 50% of my time at school was completely irrelevant and a waste of time and resources, as things like religion and other things take time away from what is realy needed: literacy, numeracy, social, practical and leadership skills.
Posted by Realist, Thursday, 15 February 2007 9:33:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Families choose to educate their children in state schools because they are secular, they have no religious bias. I would be disappointed if Australia loses its proud tradition of secular state education.

Australia hasn't killed off 90% of a minority population because they are a different religion, OK we chose, and still choose, colour.
Australia doesn't have the Catholic - Protestant divide that mars Ireland.
Despite our prime Minister's best efforts there still hasn't been a Muslim - Christian death
Posted by billie, Thursday, 15 February 2007 10:02:36 AM
Touche Realist. If the power were invested in me, I'd eradicate religion not only from schools, but also politics. Look at how religion inspires hatred in Muslims as they go about their daily lives of blowing up the "infidels," of the USA's percieved "right" to invade other countries and kill with God's "approval" and of Australia's political willingness to follow them blindly into the unknown. If all such countries had factual and humanistic individuals running governments instead of flaky psuedo religious followers, then maybe we could stop spending obscene amounts of money in efforts to prop up the war machine which keeps at least 80% of the World's population poor and destitute. It will never happen of course while so many people are being continually deluded into believing in a form of superstition carted along with humanity from the dark ages.
I'm sure there will be some who disagree with me on this issue and I'd love to debate it further, but I'm afraid once I hit the send button, my posting allotment is done for today.
Posted by Aime, Thursday, 15 February 2007 10:20:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy