The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What is a feminist? > Comments

What is a feminist? : Comments

By Cireena Simcox, published 25/1/2007

A feminist is not a woman with hairy armpits and a chip on her shoulder.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. Page 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. All
A couple of comments in regard to some posts here about the abuse of DVOs…
I have actually been noticing an alarming trend of violent men starting to use DVOs as another weapon of abuse against their wives. In two separate cases I have recently observed, violent men who had been married before and had been issued with DVOs by their previous wives, then took out DVOs when their next marriage broke up – as they knew the drill, they hurried to ‘get in first’ so to speak.

In one of these cases, one that was quite close to me, the husband went straight to the local courthouse and took out a DVO on the day his third wife left him (after she had suffered repeated mental and physical cruelty from him) and used it to prevent her from returning to the property to remove her things. With two children under five, she was forced to live for months in a flat with no furniture or appliances, except what was given to her by friends.

Also, I have often heard claims that some Family Law solicitors advise women to take out DVOs against their husbands as a standard procedure in order to give them a ‘sympathy’ advantage in settlement claims – of course, the solicitor in these tales is always a female. A (male) Family Law solicitor I have spoken to about this was adamant that these stories are myths – the law is clear about what each partner is entitled to and any DVO history does not influence the outcome
Posted by MLK, Thursday, 22 February 2007 11:59:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Found an interesting quote in my internet travels from a group that calls itself the National Organization for Anti-Feminism (NOAF, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Anti-Feminism/). It started in 1999 and states its aims as follows:

‘It is our hope that the [NOAF] movement will grow into state and local chapters in order to reverse or at least counter the progress made by the feminists in the last 30 years. It is also our hope to see anti-feminists networked systematically and placed in key positions in every area including social and educational policy making, higher education, textbook planning, the media and film industry, law and the like.’

Phew!! As the saying goes … Just ’cause you’re paranoid, it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you
Posted by MLK, Friday, 23 February 2007 12:29:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Heres a little something -make of it what you will:

There was earlier an mention of Eva Cox.
I recall Eva Cox being interviewed during the First Gulf War .
Some channel had her on a panel of “experts” discussing the war.
She made a point -& I paraphrase- that we in the west had approached the issue the wrong way -when dealing with middle eastern men we needed to ensure they were not put in a position where they might loose face -they must always be allowed to preserve face & ego.

On the same theme, I recall otherwise pro-feminist lecturers at Uni being very concerned about outside developers in third world countries giving jobs to woman -which thereby made them, the family breadwinner ( over their husbands) - & which risked disrupting the local/native social order !

Perhaps there is a deeper current to feminism than initially meets the eye.
Posted by Horus, Friday, 23 February 2007 9:19:51 AM
MLK

That was a silly little forum, wasn't it?

But try this one for a laugh, because this person is for real:

http://www.marydaly.net/
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 23 February 2007 9:34:10 AM
Horus

Re your comment on Eva Cox and the other feminists’ in your post: ‘Perhaps there is a deeper current to feminism than initially meets the eye.’

I’m not sure if you’re being ironic here, but as a feminist myself I don’t see anything contradictory in their attitudes. The gender dynamics of one society do not seamlessly fit into another. There is a wise feminist saying that goes: ‘Feminism is a plant that only grows in its own soil.’

When you consider that Kuwaiti women have only just won the vote; that tens (possibly hundreds) of women abort their female fetuses each year in China; and that millions of mothers in several countries willingly have their daughters ‘circumcised’ each year to make them more marriageable – it’s ridiculous to use Western feminism as a benchmark for women’s progress worldwide. It also makes it pathetically misguided for right-wing opinion makers in the West to use the supposed liberation of Islamic women as justification for two wars of aggression
Posted by MLK, Saturday, 24 February 2007 9:32:53 AM
Cornflower

‘[NOAF] was a silly little forum, wasn’t it?’

Yes. But at least it’s being honest about its aims and intentions – compared to many organisations that have much the same agenda as NOAF, but camouflage their websites in pretty suffragette colours and duplicitous ‘women’s’ scholarship.

As for your link to the rad fem, Mary Daly, she sounds wonderful!! I can’t believe she’s slipped beneath my radar all these years. I’m getting out my credit card and going straight to Amazon as soon as I finish this post
Posted by MLK, Saturday, 24 February 2007 9:40:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. Page 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. All