The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Appeal is favourable for Catch the Fire Ministries > Comments

Appeal is favourable for Catch the Fire Ministries : Comments

By David Palmer, published 11/1/2007

Victoria's 'Racial and Religious Tolerance Act' 2001 remains deeply troubling and must be changed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The problem with anti religions vilification laws is that it crosses the line between discrimination based on a persons race, gender, height or other characteristics that cannot be changed, and disagreeing with a persons choice of religion, sexual preference or even football team. Having said that, we should allways respect the individual even though we may disagree with their opinion or preference.

I should be free to disagree with with the practice of homosexuals or muslims or collingwood supporters as long as I do not disrespect the individuals involved. I should also be free to disagree with that practise without being subjected to personal attacks.

I do resent negative labels such as Homophobic. Now it seems that Muslims have also taken to labeling anyone who disagrees with them as Islamaphobic. They say that attack is the best form of defence and what better way to attack somebody who disagrees with you than to accuse them of having an irrational and ilogigal fear. What will this come to? Is Kevin Rudd a Liberalaphobic or was Peter Brock a Fordaphobic.

If we are so insecure and unable to inteligently defend our opinions and ideas without resorting to name calling then maybe we need to review our opinions and ideas
Posted by proverbs, Friday, 26 January 2007 9:23:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Freedom of speech is the only way to reveal the TRUTH.

Unfortunately, that word: Truth, has long lost its potency giving way to the more palatable: Relativism.

Since we have lost the definite benchmark that clearly defines someone's belief as true or false, someone’s intention as good or evil; we should not be surprised that freedom of speech is now swimming in the same PC pond as relativism.

Muslim activists know that well, and are using it to their political advantage. They know how to use our legal system, language and mentality to advance their cause. Our law makers are yet to understand Muslims political ruse and double edged language – let alone deciphering their true motives.

Islam is relying on our naiveté and idiotic western laws that are irrelevant and quite impotent to their community. Islam’s best ticket for infiltration is our secularised (non-religious) society that is nurturing pluralism and multiculturalism. We are allowing a destructive movement to exist and to prosper by hiding behind our tolerant democratic laws and political correctness.

Islam is not simply another new colour that could blend with our social canvas – it is an formidable invader of the nastiest kind.
Posted by coach, Sunday, 28 January 2007 11:11:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Stephany.

contravened the RRT ?

I don't quite see how, but can you demonstrate any flaws of reasoning and in what I said ?

I linked the post to the likes of Hizb... did you notice that ?

The problem with the 2 dannies (I read the judgment) was that they were said not to have made a distinction between the radicals and mainstream Muslims.

I didn't generalize, I specificaly said 'The likes of Hizb'.

Apart from that, do you recognize this situation as a danger to Australian security ?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 1 February 2007 8:15:24 AM
"Unfortunately, that word: Truth, has long lost its potency giving way to the more palatable: Relativism."

Natually, it's always the other guy who's guilty. Not that I will take issue with your truth, or a competing one; such a debate is by definition circular.

Why not take a look at some more generalised truths about "truth"?
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Religion
Posted by bennie, Thursday, 1 February 2007 10:17:24 AM
Hi Bennie
yes.. truth can be rather plastic at times. But it does depend on the context quite a bit.

My handout re the possible St Pauls thing, would be along the lines of encouraging Christians to contact their local member urging him/her to campaign to change the law RRT2001 which has been used against Christians predominantly. I am aiming for 2 changes.

1/ Truth IS a defense.
2/ Motive DOES matter.

I would also be encouraging people of the Christian and Jewish faith to make complaints to the EOC about the inherrent vilification in the Quran and Hadith which are publically available, i.e. sold in bookshops and online.

If those documents said in a general nature "Allahs curse on the infidels" meaning all unbelievers, I would not take so much issue with it, but the specific mention of Christians and Jews by 'name' takes it into the arena of religious vilification in my view.

cheers.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 1 February 2007 10:31:09 AM
You will be able to send a petition to the NSW State Premier and Prime minister to have the militant Islamic group Hizb-Ut-Tahrir (Liberation Party) banned in NSW and Australia. Muslim extremists use our freedom of speech rights to incite violence and death against our way of life, freedoms our democratically elected representatives and anyone who denounces their views as bad. They want rule by Immams appointed by the Islamic Council like Hilali etc, not persons democratically elected by the whole nation.
Posted by Philo, Thursday, 1 February 2007 11:36:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy