The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Where it is a criminal offence to convert to Christianity ... > Comments

Where it is a criminal offence to convert to Christianity ... : Comments

By George Thomas, published 23/10/2006

Hindu extremists have passed anti-conversion laws in some Indian states - more are set to follow.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Unlike Islam that wants to Islamise the world, Hindus see their religion s an integral part of India. India id hinduism, hinduism is India.

Conversion to any other religion is a threat to their society. But Christianity could mean desaster because once people discover the only way to God, conversion epidemic will follow.

The thrust of conversions is among the Cast population, the non-belongers to India. They find real freedom in Christianity - in more than one way - from the segragation and opression; something they cannot find in any other religion like Islam.

Hindus are lobbying sucessfuly for the abolishment of this anti-conversion law. Many thousands of conversions are reported daily dispite the law. It is also important to state that many forced reconversion to Hinduism (and to Islam) are common.
Posted by coach, Monday, 23 October 2006 10:12:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is nothing new but its good to see it in secular media. I hope newspapers pick this up.

While the West complains about Christians persecuting, (because SOME ministers argue against abortion, and a few are just a little bit pissed about Islamic jihad- mind you there are many non-Christians who share these views, and many Christians who don't), Christians themselves are getting strongly persecuted all over the world. There are approximately 300 million persecuted Christians worldwide, suffering appalling abuses of human rights. Voice of the Martyrs and Open Doors are a few good organisations to look at.

I look forward to people who are passionate about human rights supporting the needs of those who are threatened, beaten, jailed without just cause, raped, robbed, prohibited from finding work, had family members killed, etc. JUST because they have chosen to be Christians in predominately non-Christian lands.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Monday, 23 October 2006 11:47:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brother Coach.. did you mean to say that most conversions are among the 'untouchable's rather than the cast? If I'm wrong please correct me.

The "untouchables".. what a ghastly term for a valuable human being created in Gods image.

Christ gives them a sense of value, and worth, they go from Zero to Hero in their own self esteem.. as it should be. (not arrogantly so though)

When untouchables have found Christ, they also find FREEEEDOM from the enslavement of the cast system. They no longer accept that they are the bottom of the bottom, and this upsets an economy which is based on class stratification of society, based on the Caste system.

Be a Brahmin and woopee.. you are ooo-k... you have 'made it' without even trying. But fall in love with an 'untouchable'... and honor killings abound.

We all have sick aspects to our society, but the official 'divine saction' for classes of human beings as "Best(Brahman), good (Kshatria) , Quite Acceptable (Vaisia) just ok (Sudra) and yuk (untouchables)" is totally contrary to the message Christ brought directly from the Father "He who exhalts himself will be humbled, the first will be last, and the last first"

"If you would be ruler of all, be the servant of all"

No wonder we speak of 'East and West'...... and lets hope in this case that this aspect of the East never meets us in the West, but by all means let the message of Salvation and freedom and liberty reach every person in India.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 23 October 2006 1:03:59 PM
The article is biased and obviously written by an evangelical missionary. What is happening in the world in the name of 'religious freedom' is 'global religious hegemony'? Missionaries do not elevate anybody's spiritual understanding. You cannot view the world through one prism. What missionaries have done around the world is destroying cultures, religions and spirituality and imposing their version just because they have money and political powers behind them. Particularly in the case of India they have created a civil war like situation because missionaries spread hate against Hindus and other religions.

Why India! look around every country, people just hate missionaries. Even Mahatma Gandhi, the apostle of peace said 'just get rid of foreign missionaries'.

The author foolishly classifies anybody against missionary activity 'a radical/fundamentalist Hindu'. This is a very convenient classification as it helps missionaries and political parties but people across political parties and religions oppose missionary activity. Orthodox christians, Malabar Christians, Goan Christians, Muslims, sikhs, Jains and some Catholic leaders are also against evangelical missionary activity.
Posted by Crusade Watch, Monday, 23 October 2006 2:18:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CRUSADE WATCH
There is more bias in your ill-informed post than in the original article! For credibility you must back up your claims with references. Put up or shut up. Vitriol is not constitute an arguement. Follow the advice of YngNLuvnIt and visit the websites mentioned, they might open your narrow-sightedness - but then again...
Posted by aeudey, Monday, 23 October 2006 2:55:28 PM
Actually, if the article had not been so well-written and deficient in CAPITALISATIONS, I might have thought from the tone and content of the article that it had been written by one of this forum's most voluble commenters. I don't suppose that it's all that evident to the evangelical Christians in our ranks, but I find quite striking parallels between the reportedly discriminatory treatment of Christians by fundamentalist Hindus, and that which is being increasingly directed towards Muslims in our own society by fundamentalist Christians and those who give them tacit support.

I think that fundamentalism in all religions globally is the real culprit - rather than the religions themselves. If evangelical Christians gave up trying to convert the world to Christianity, if extremist Muslims gave up trying to blow up infidels, if fundamentalist Hindus gave up trying to criminalise Christianity... etc etc, then I've no doubt the world would be a happier place.

Only I suspect that many people would simply find new primordial sentiments to rationalise their propensity to conflict with each other.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 23 October 2006 3:14:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy