The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Steve Irwin - even larger in death than in life > Comments

Steve Irwin - even larger in death than in life : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 5/9/2006

The outpouring of sorrow at his passing is growing by the hour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. All
"Crikey, that was close"

A wonderful man educating the world with true Australian values, a deep love of natures family and his own.
Posted by The alchemist, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 10:34:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We live in a world where you can become a celebrity by being a rich mans premiscuous daughter, sleeping with a footballer or humiliating yourself on a reality TV show.

Amongst the cringeworthy legion of celebrities Steve Irwin was a breath of fresh air.

He was someone very much worthy of his superstar status.

He gave everything he had to his cause and struck me as being very genuine. Th world would be a better place if there were more role models like Steve.

You were the real deal Steve. R.I.P
Posted by Carl, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 11:09:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steve was one of those people who simply loved life to the max. If you met him you never forgot him. He was always full of energy and excitement. Adrenalin was his drug of choice. I still can't quite absorb the fact that this Australian Icon has gone. He wasn't perfect. Nobody is. But if I had the option of swapping lives with anyone in this World then I'd choose to be Steve without any hesitation. He may have died young but he lived each day to it's fullest and crikey he had a lot of adventures. Someone with as many friends as he had won't be quickly forgotten. I think a Statue should be built to commemorate this lengendary figure.
Posted by WayneSmith, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 11:18:34 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have had no contact with him, direct or indirect (i.e. I haven't watched any of his shows or seen any of his interviews) so I have no reason to doubt the widely-held view that the gentleman concerned was a sound and upright citizen, with many likeable and attractive qualities.

But I do worry a little about what the following excerpts from the article here say about us as a race of human beings, and the priorities we appear to hold.

>>The Monday evening news on Sky UK led with the terrorist attack in Jordan (in which a UK citizen was killed) but was quickly followed by a 20-minute tribute to Steve Irwin.<<

>>Richard Arnold, a veteran Australian USA correspondent, reported on Radio 4BC this morning that his death is the biggest story out of Australia in his 25 years in the US.<<

>>The Los Angeles Times, for example, reported the story extensively … and the story has been the most viewed on its website. Every major USA newspaper has given his death prominence.<<

>>Not many Australians in our history have had a greater international impact - and a wholly beneficial one.<<

It appears that we have either i) lost all sense of proportion as to what constitutes "important" in this world or ii) reached the point where we prefer to immerse ourselves in entertainment than face up to anything that might be difficult to comprehend or to cope with.

My thoughts are with his family, but at the "personal tragedy" level, not the "earth-shattering disaster" level.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 12:05:14 PM
It is a truly sad event that this likeable Australian character has died, particularly in such freakish circumstances. Perhaps the most disturbing thing about it, however, is the grossly over-the-top electronic reaction to his death. On morning shows it seems that anyone with the most remote connection with Steve Irwin is interviewed for their take on what his "contribution to conservation" is or what a "good bloke: he was. Steve Irwin's passing is tragic, but the frenetic media activity is turning a tragedy in to a farce. Surely Steve's contributions speak for themselves.
Posted by Lionel Mandrake, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 12:26:33 PM
People find many ways to mourn and/or celebrate the passing of people who have such a profound effect on their lives for whatever reason.

Steve Irwin was and will remain an outstanding high achiever in the world's consciousness. What a man! He was an inspiration on environmental issues in over 130 countries across the globe.

Maybe we are only realising now what a national treasure we had and that we may have taken for granted.

His legacy will be the ongoing work of his wife Terry and fabulous kids. "Crikey" those kids have the Steve Irwin gene... what a bewdy.

My sincerest condolences to his wife, kids, family, friends, workmates and to all other grieving Australians and citizens of the world. In a mere 13 years this guy affected our lives in the most dynamic ways.

Maybe we can make that part of his legacy, love - as Steve Irwin loved, follow your dreams like Steve Irwin followed his, and love and respect one another as Steve Irwin did to us and all he met, our country, our families and to the flora and fauna of the planet.

I for one will never forget him. To me he is Australia's dynamic Princess Di. We are the poorer for losing him.
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 12:56:12 PM
For a guy who lived his life at full speed and with unrestrained passion, it's unusual these days that he did it without personal scandal or embarrassment.

An inspiration and a tragic loss to us all.

Vale and thanks Steve, you won't be forgotten
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 1:39:52 PM
Heres a good lesson,especially for anyone who walks a dangerous tightrope:

You live by the sword, you die by the sword. Everytime he cheated death, he was statistically closer to not cheating death the next time.

What a terrible shame, our society will not produce another like Steve Irwin, this generation has gone away from our crocodile dundee style Aussie culture, but he will not be forgotten.

Just remember, you cant stay ahead of any game forever when you are dealing in a chaos science.
Posted by Realist, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 1:46:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must confess that I have never been a fan of Steve Irwin and his views on crocodile management seemed to me to show little understanding of wildlife conservation and its practices. If he had paid a visit to the game parks of Southern Africa he would have understood what can be gained by controlled hunting - it has been an important part of what has enabled the game reserves there to survive.
Posted by darter, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 2:01:15 PM
Croc Hunter was hero worshipped by all.Adults and children wanted to follow his footsteps. He opened up the minds of the young and led us into a world of the animals and made everything sound so simple and easy. We need to have a foundation or university to teach us all that Steve wanted the world to know. Please help us continue with his dreams ....we should all get together to carry on the hard work. Watching Animal Planet and Discovery without Steve will be difficult. All the Steve's programmes will always be treasured and cherished.
Posted by Karmo, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 3:36:24 PM
he was one fair bloody dinkum bloke that showed the world what australia is all about..
some thought him a bit over the top, but i'm sure for those that knew him personally, thats how he naturally was..a good open funloving full-on caring bloke with an incredible personality.

To the Irwin family, our heart goes out to you all.
regards and respect from all of us at www.fairbloodydinkum.com
Posted by littleozzybloke, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 3:36:54 PM
I feel as if I am mourning the death of a member of my own family - even though I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr Steve Irwin.

My heart aches for Terri, Bindy, little Bob and Steve's father - other family members and all of his dear friends.

Kay
Posted by kalweb, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 4:37:15 PM
What an office Steve had. That must've made it easy to get out of bed and go to work. He was enthusiastic about his work and he had loads of passion.

RIP Steve Irwin.
Posted by Sage, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 5:22:57 PM
It seems to me that current media in Australia is a catalyst for an uneducated society completely naive of the contradictions present in current headlines. Wasn’t it only months ago that Steve Irwin was denounced to be a cruel baby killer by the same mediums that currently praise him as a heroic Australian that will be sorely missed. Is it just me or does anyone else cringe when watching the nightly news...when will we arise from the emotive slumber of irrelevance?
Posted by Gamble, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 5:44:05 PM
i have grown up watching steve irwin and seen how brave he was and how loving to animals and his family he is. his death has hit alot of people and alot of respect will go to steve and his family. he will never be forgotten for all the great things he did.
Posted by angel_dreamer, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 8:36:51 PM
On Steve Irwins death and arrangements.

He belonged to the world. He has passion for his work. Not many of us can say they can go to work everyday liking what they do, we could watch Steve and be fasinated by it.

He belonged to the world. What ever grief that Terry has, make sure she knows that we all are sharing with her in that.

We watched the two of them work together as a couple. She is not alone in her loss we are all feeling it.

On the state funeral. There is no way she is going to get away with carting him off in to a private thing. People are going to do carzy things in order to be part of that.

I think they should televise the funeral procession to the cemetary. Just like with Diana for years to come people will want to leave flowers and such. Leave the church service private. And please do not feed him to the crocdiles or scatter his ashed on one. Leave the man whole. He was a father to his children.
Posted by AngelofLight, Tuesday, 5 September 2006 11:50:55 PM
No Gamble - it's not just you.
Posted by DizzyLizzy, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 12:36:30 AM
Our Family has been deeply touched by the passing of a true Aussie Icon. Our 18 year old Son first brought him to us having viewed him on a T.V show 15 years ago demonstrating how he mowed the croc enclosures.. he said" well mate you watch the water and when it's all clear you jump in and you mow,mow,mow and if the the croc shows up you jump out real quick".. he became the "mow mow" man and we visited the Zoo quite often watching his success rise and rise . We will sadly miss him as you would miss a Brother... Our thoughts and prayers go out to Terri and Bindi and Bob and all Family and friends...GOD BE WITH YOU STEVE.. Love the Fuller Family in Brisbane.
Posted by leebabe, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 6:58:07 AM
Maybe Steve lived on the edge but some people just can't watch life happen. I'd have trusted my life to him because I belong to one of the species he loved and protected.
Posted by ponygirl, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 8:25:31 AM
Let Steve Irwin's death be a lesson to those who are fond of harassing animals that just want to be left alone: Eventually these poor creatures will get back at you in a nasty way.

I feel though, for his two little kiddies who now must experience growing-up without a father.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 8:45:13 AM
I am with you Gamble. I also take objection to the advice provided by "Supermum" Naomi Robson concerning what we should tell our children to protect them from the impact of his death. I haven't been protecting my children from the thousands of deaths occuring every day all over the world and I don't intend to start now simply because mainstream society, represented by the media, place greater value on the life of a celebrity over the life of a 'ordinary' person. And the comments from 'Kochie' that there is no-one more Australian than Steve Irwin are laughable - let the cookie cutting begin!
Posted by Proust, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 9:46:35 AM
To a legend, role model and now an angel way up in the sky. This man has left the world too quick. the nation is greiving for you and your family. You have taught the world so much may you rest in peace mate. for ever in our hearts.xxx
Posted by HAZY WAZY, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 12:06:04 PM
OH AND TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT ALL HE DID WAS HARRASS ANIMALS YOU ARE VERY WRONG. IT WAS EXACTLY HES PASSION AND LOVE FOR ANIMALS THAT MADE HIM A WELL KNOWN MAN. HE GAVE KNOWLEDGE TO THE WORLD. WHICH IS WHY HE WILL ALWAYS BE REMEBERD AS A LEGEND AND NOTHING LESS. ONE OF A KIND IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE LIKE HIM!
Posted by HAZY WAZY, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 12:10:33 PM
Steve Irwin was, in my opinion, a great conservationalist and he will be missed by many. His advice not to profit from Australian wildlife by not buying wildlife products such as crocodile bags etc was sensible.

That's a reason why I find it most upsetting that while he hasn't even be burried, vultures on eBay are already trying to profit from his death by selling Irwin memorabilia
Posted by Celivia, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 3:59:35 PM
Steve Irwin leaves behind a great hole and somehow I feel a little frustrated and angry that he is not with us now, that he died so
needlessly...when I can name at least one politician that should have left earth in his place..

Someone said on another thread that..his energy lives on in the universe and we should tap into that and in ways of our own ,carry on his work...A wonderful thought and that is why I intend to set up a wildlife shelter for orphaned and injured anumals.

So lets not let his death and his good work end here...harrass politicians and protect the habitats of all land and sea creatures..

He was amazing and to that person who said he only 'harrassed' animals you know nothing about the man..go educate yourself.
Posted by OZGIRL, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 6:04:52 PM
Criky Crocs Rule....You will be sadly missed Steve , my heart goes out to you Terri , Bindi , Bob and all the staff at "Australian Zoo". I lived in Deception Bay , Queensland (20 mins. from the zoo) for 10 years I now live back in Melbourne looking after my elderly mum. When I lived up there I had visited the zoo 5 times over a span of 4 years it was very enjoyable seeing everyone and was fortunate to meet Steve & Terri a couple of times.....Life must go on "CROCS RULE......Des Butler....Melbourne Australia
Posted by fellow-aussie, Thursday, 7 September 2006 8:48:03 AM
Here it is Thursday already and I am still feeling sad about Steve's untimely death - much to my surprise. I used to think he was a well-meaning dill, now I think, and know, otherwise. Especially when I read the mean and disparaging comments from a (very) few other posters; and Steve's funeral not even in the past.

Steve was sincere.
Steve believed in himself.
Steve believed in the welfare of animals.
Steve was up front and in your face, in other words; courageous.
We always knew where we stood with Steve.

How many other public figures can claim any of the above? We are governed by cowards and toadys.

We need more Steve Irwins.

If he has left any kind of legacy it is to follow your dream and be true to yourself.

His is the legacy of inspiration. Long live his memory.
Posted by Scout, Thursday, 7 September 2006 9:27:22 AM
Proud to be indonesian,

GO BACK TO INDONESIA! We dont want you in our country if your going to insult people that promote our country abroad. You know absolutelty nothing about Steve Irwin and your ignorant comments on his "harrasment" of animals is evidence of this fact. Steve Irwin was an animal conservationist. He bought acreages of wildlife land with his money made from educating people on animals to protect these animals from extinction. He runs Australia zoo to educate the general public on animals. He has made documentary after documentary on dangerous animals to teach people that these animals are not worth killing to the brink of extinction.

He died making a documentary on sting rays to eleminate the bad name they seem to have with the general public. Your just an ignorant idiot who sees him jump on a crocodile (one which he is probably trying to rellocate to save its life) and forms your ignorant simplistic opinion based on that. Who the hell are you or any indonesian to look down upon him? Look at your own country and the way they respect animals? http://rainforests.mongabay.com/20indonesia.htm

Ring a bell? Are you proud of that, does that make you proud to be indonesian? Here are you critising one of australias biggest animal activists and look at what your country is doing to its own rainforests, second only to brasil in logging (killing of animals). So why dont you go home have some nasi lemak, get caught with drugs and get hanged. Look at the way your country treats humans for petty offences let alone animals! I won't even begin with the ridiculous amount of corruption that im sure makes you ever so proud to be indonesian.

I would also like to add to this debate that Germain Greer is a disgrace to our country after her comments on Steve. An academic who obviosuly knows next to nothing about biology who talks about cruelty to animals as though she even has some kind of authority / expertese on the subject at hand. Sorry Germaine, it wasn't in your Phd.
Posted by kish, Thursday, 7 September 2006 12:59:56 PM
"who said he only 'harrassed' animals you know nothing about the man..go educate yourself."

I wonder why that harmless stingray decided to kill Steve Irwin.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Thursday, 7 September 2006 1:01:42 PM
Proud to be indonesian (yet residing in australia),

"I wonder why that harmless stingray decided to kill Steve Irwin."

That harmless stingray didnt decide to kill Steve Irwin. Steve is about 3 times it's size, do you honestly believe it tried to kill Steve? For what? lunch? It did what all sting rays do when they get stepped on feel threatened, it tried to scare steve away by stinging him with its barb, whilst making a quick retreat. To suggest that this sting ray conciously tried to kill Steve shows nothing more than a lack of education on your part.

Sting rays have a protein based venom in there barb which is NOT deadly to humans! Do you think the Sting Ray aimed for Steves heart? Do you think it even knew where steves heart was? There have been 30 deaths from sting ray attacks worldwide in recorded history!! Yet the number of non-fatal sting ray attacks worldwide is beyond comprehension. But I keep forgetting your a marine biologist. The indo way wouldnt be to harrass these animals but to make sting ray sambal out of them right? Thats not harrasing them!!

You also seem to have something against australians judging from some of your other posts. Let put me this very simply for your feeble little mind. GET OVER IT, we couldnt care less what happens to you or your pathetic, LITTLE, over populated country that redefines the word corruption and has been run by countless dictators.

Why dont you tell everyone on here why you live in australia? Could it be because christian chinese indos were getting slaughtered by the truck load back home? A little bit of bias towards the muslims? Why would you lower yourself to live in such a weak country? If you hate ausralia so much, then heres a simple solution, GO HOME WE DONT WANT YOU.

To think us weaklings had to give your country over a billion dollars in aid during the tsunami disaster (because your so strong right). What has indonesia ever done for Australia accept whinge that were anti islam?
Posted by kish, Thursday, 7 September 2006 4:41:12 PM
Realist, was Irwin really 'statistically closer to death every time he cheated death'? That's not the way I was taught statistics - if you toss a coin and get 10 heads in a row, the chances of getting a head at the 11th toss is just the same as at every other toss.

It's probably a more apt truism and more accurate speculation to say that Irwin became too familiar around wildlife and forgot to take precauations, like keeping a safe distance away from a stingray. But then, safety firts maybe didn't suit the Irwin style. He took risks to sell his TV shows. It must be hard to keep exercising sufficient judgement every time.

Irwin might have been a good bloke/decent human being in most respects, but he was a man who played the buffoon while riling up wild animals to get rich from titillating TV. I prefer the quieter, deeper, less exploitative and more educational style of an Attenborough to Irwin's rankling style.

His death is a personal tragedy, but not a wider tragedy. He doesn't deserve the near-beatification that's going on in the media and in some posts on blog sites like this.
Posted by PK, Thursday, 7 September 2006 5:39:57 PM
Kish...dont waste your energy and anger on that sad,misguided person .This person sits behind a keyboard and would not have the intestinal fortitude to say that to any Australians persons face.

Your energy and love for Steve can be channelled into making a difference where ever you can by taking on board the message he tried so hard and passionately to help us see and be a guardian for animals the way he was...even small ways make a huge difference...

People like 'Proud to be Indonesian' thrive on the misery and grief of others...ignore...it will go away.

That person, with that attitude does not deserve citizenship ..hopefully ,only a tourist.
Posted by OZGIRL, Thursday, 7 September 2006 6:32:48 PM
@Kish:

LOL, calm down mate. Your emotional balance have obviously been knocked off-balance by your demi-god Steve Irwin's demise. I recommend you consume some sleeping pills, get laid, and inhale a good amount of fresh air.

"That harmless stingray didnt decide to kill Steve Irwin."

But it did, didn't it? I wonder why, could it be that Steve was harrassing the poor sea creature?

BTW may the Crocodile Hunter "Rest In Peace".
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Thursday, 7 September 2006 8:27:11 PM
PK,
Yes steve flirted with danger many times but I doubt if it was contrived as you suggest, that it was in any way to line his own nest..ie for his own gain..It is well documented that Steve and Terry put back every cent they made into buying wilderness tracks here and all over the world.
If Steves shows did show him as a larrikan , a daredevil and if it was calculated(and I doubt there was too much calculation in a 'red cordial guy' like Irwin) it was too attract veiwer attention to bring attention to the plight of animals, to foster a love and interest by regular people because he knew that he could not save them alone.

Pk you cannot say that a guy like Irwin, with everything he gave for our planet, YOUR planet,does,nt deserve all the love and outpouring of grief that is displayed around the world right now...this is no time for cynical mean spirit.
The world loved him and that is no accident for this great aussie bloke with a heart the size of Australia itself.
Posted by OZGIRL, Thursday, 7 September 2006 8:33:15 PM
Scout

Thank you for your post.
Posted by kalweb, Friday, 8 September 2006 4:58:45 AM
Proud to be indonesian,

You have yet to answer any of my questions regarding your residency in the weakling country Australia. "what a suprise". And you refered to me as "mate", so you hate australia yet now your using australian slang and living in the country. Your proud to be indo, yet your parents had to leave their country your so proud of in fear of there lives / provinding idiots like you with a better education (sure hasn't helped in your case). This story sounds so familiar, sounds like the story of many christian chinese indo's, whats fascinating is that I don't know one (of the many I do know) that hates Australia, you would have to be the first to achieve this level of bitterness to the country you are forced to call home.

I will not bother trying to re-educate your three brain cells as to why sting ray's don't intend to kill humans, just keep eating your nasi lemak with sting ray sambal and laughing at aussie drug mules getting hung for their efforts.

OZGIRL,

I would have to say I am in between you and PK on this issue. I respect Steve for all his animal conservation efforts, and he selflessly spent his fortune protecting animals as much as he did living a lavish lifestyle. That is very honourable though no different from many other scientists that make a living out of passion rather than wealth. I also really respect what Steve did for australia. He really did promote our country and our very unique eco system. He made sure that we are unlikely to loose anymore americans to crocodiles in the wilderness. Its a shame his program was not prime time in germany! He did promote our country and I for one believe that coupled with his animal conservation efforts deserves accolade...
Posted by kish, Friday, 8 September 2006 3:00:55 PM
@kish:

LOL, calm down retardo. You have nothing to worry, for neither my parents ever step their feet in Australia, nor do I feel any "bitterness" to Australia. You can say I am completely indifferent to your minor country.

BTW yeap Steve Irwin harassed the poor stingray, causing the creature to kill him. You harrass animals all the time, eventually the animal kills you. Fair enough.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Friday, 8 September 2006 3:47:50 PM
Proud to be indo,

"to your minor country". Firstly that comment alone suggests you have hatred for australia, but if one looks at your opinions on other forums (which is quite easy to do) they all seem to have this same anti-australian sentiment. You talk about australia in such a condensending tone as though we are somehow inferior to indonesia?

But lets look at the word "minor" and have a good laugh. All you have demonstrated is your lack of education in this post, nothing more. Your fortunate to have such wealthy parents that send you abroad to get an education your country couldn't possibly provide. Obviosuly that education is not a degree in Economics or Business. How on earth is Australia minor to indonesia? Lets look at some cold hard facts here, indonesias population is 250 million, austraslia's is 19 million, yet, our GDP in the world rankings is 16th. Indonesia is 15th. Per capita your not even in the top 20!!

Now more importantly our GNP ranking which is money from australian comapnies locally and abroad and a true measure of the size of a countries Ecomony or as you put "Minorism" is 14th in the world, and guess what indonesia is? 25th!! In fact our GNP is 4 times that of indonesia. So it is indonesia that is the minor country as far as the world is concerned, we play a far bigger role in the world than indoneisa do and indoneisa has about 14 times more people!! In case you didn't realise in the tsunami disaster, the world doesn't stop spinning when a tidal wave engulfs your country. In fact if anything Australia had to use its far better economy to give your incredibly weak economy a helping hand. Or have you conveniently forgotten all the Aid that australia provided in your time of need.

So please as you were saying, Australia is minor to Indonesia because?
Posted by kish, Friday, 8 September 2006 5:09:33 PM
Get a grip, Ozgirl and some others. Some of the emotional commentary here is over the top. There are plenty of people doing good works for the environment. If Irwin did something for the environment, great. If some people liked his TV shows, great. It's sad for his fans and his family that he died, but he chose a dangerous occupation, just like Peter Brock, who has died today also sadly. We can have a moment of private reflection about each of these public figure's demises, but let's also keep a sense of proportion about it. Mass public grieving is not especially meaningful or tasteful.
Posted by PK, Friday, 8 September 2006 5:42:00 PM
Proud To Be Indonesian

Your posts on this and other threads reaks, stinks and oozes venom. Why are you here?
Posted by kalweb, Saturday, 9 September 2006 1:10:25 AM
@kish:

"Firstly that comment alone suggests you have hatred for australia"

Aww, don't be such a wuss. Far from suggesting "hatred" for weakling Australia, I am merely saying the cold hard truth as it is. I know my honesty might hurt Australians' hilariously exaggerated sense of self-importance, but the truth must be told. Deal with it lol

Just bear in mind, don't reckon Aussies can mess around with Indonesia. We are very nice people, but we will not shirk from extracting punishment from Australia should some of you clowns seek to misbehave with Indonesia.

"In case you didn't realise in the tsunami disaster, the world doesn't stop spinning when a tidal wave engulfs your country"

LOL, at that time for 99% of Indonesians, life goes on as if there was never a tsunami. For most Indonesians, the tsunami might as well occur in Alaska rather than Aceh.

@PK:

"Get a grip, Ozgirl and some others. Some of the emotional commentary here is over the top."

I understand your feeling, PK. It is very sad how the death of Irwin manage to somehow cause some OLO posters here into displaying racism and hatred for Muslims/Indonesians. Some Aussies sure are dumb.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Saturday, 9 September 2006 1:31:04 PM
If Proud to Indonesian grows another brain cell,it will have to have special counselling for depression,caused solely by loneliness.

Now this could be a first PTI,ie the immaculate conception of thought,in a vacuum.No how's that for an infertile mind?Yours must be the only vacuum that can divide, multiply and still produce hot air.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 10 September 2006 12:45:15 AM
*yawn*
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Sunday, 10 September 2006 11:44:49 AM
I wish, I wish, I wish you were here Steve. Terri, Bindi, Robert, Steve's dad and family.....please hang in there. What a terrible loss to all. A legend and animal savior has passed. Who will save the animals now? No one was as compassionate as Steve. Love, a family in Southern California.
Posted by dgorno, Monday, 11 September 2006 1:32:32 PM
I dont know what everyone thinks about Germaine Greers stupid comments. But I have been effected by what she said and it is not wonder the women lives in the UK, she is either too stupid to live in Australia or she has upset too many people here with her ridiculous comments.
Posted by Deborah58, Monday, 11 September 2006 1:40:07 PM
Deborah58

Germaine Greer is simply a nasty old dyke who has passed her "use-buy" date. Riding on the back of Steve Irwin's death is a last puny attempt to catch another 15 minutes of fame.

Bitter and nasty people like her and Proud To Be Indonesian ought to stay far away from our shores.

PBI cracked me up in his last post - raving on about how the Indonesians so quicklly got over the tsunami - he forgot to mention the millions of dollars true blue Aussies provided to the Indonesian people in their time of crisis.

Cheers Deb
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Monday, 11 September 2006 5:44:05 PM
When just recently I mentioned Germaines diatribes,my 21 yr old daughter said in honest innocence,"Who is Germaine Greer?" To which I said,"I agree,enough said."

What a sad demise for a once heralded intellectual of women's freedom.She is now just a bitter old woman trapped in a time warp of bile and hate,while the rest of the world has moved on.A tragic and pitiful sight.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 11 September 2006 7:42:49 PM
yes thats true...Germaine Greer is a stupid old has been and all of the above is completely correct.............

Love and sincere wishes to Steve and his family...never forgotten
Posted by OZGIRL, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 1:07:14 AM
Steve Irwin--The name stand for animal lover,teacher has left us for ever.But his inspiration,mission,courage and love for animal world will be remembered by all.He is martyr for cause animal kingdom.Very few born like him.
Posted by DR.PRABIR, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 4:11:11 AM
proud to be indo,

It's pretty clear that you dont have the mental capacity to retort my points in argument. Your parents must have paid alot of $$ to get you into any tertiary or secondary institution here with such an obvious lack of intellegence. All you do is resort to childish little taunts like "weakling austrlia". Even when these childish taunts have been prooven to be nothing more than gasps of hot air, you still continue using them as if to say that this is the best you can come up with. When you can acutally explain why we are "weaklings" just as I have explained why in fact it is indonesia that are the weaklings in the "real world", then come back to me. Until then enjoy your bitted little miserable life hating any country that has a higher standard of living than indonesia could ever dream to have in 100 years.

"don't reckon Aussies can mess around with Indonesia. We are very nice people*, but we will not shirk from extracting punishment from Australia" hahahahahahahaah. By doign what? Hanging our drug mules? Or by blowing up your most popular night clubs and practically killing off your tourism industry in islands that surive on tourism. Your a poverty sricken little third world country! What on earth do indonesia have that australia could possibly ever want, except the oil in timor which were getting (which I dont agree with, but maybe after hearing idiots like you...).

"For most Indonesians, the tsunami might as well occur in Alaska rather than Aceh" and you call indonesians nice people? you dont even care about the lives of people in your own country!! This is how much indo's value human life! Before you reply with "wealking australia" again, I suggest you ask someone with more intellegence to help you come up with some kind of argument to refute my comments. You have yet to refute a single point I have made, merely stating "weakling australia" again shows nothing more than a pathetic retreat to engage in an argument you know you can't win...
Posted by kish, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 3:10:44 PM
Kish.....dont waste your breathe..ignore..that says it all, without saying a word.
Posted by OZGIRL, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 3:15:47 PM
proud to be indo,

"posters here into displaying racism and hatred for Muslims/Indonesians. Some Aussies sure are dumb." I have not once made a single reference to muslims in any of my posts. In fact the only time I have used the word muslim was to state that indonesia was a bit bias towards muslims which caused many christian chinese (which is what you are) to flee the country. In fact if one were to look at all your posts from this forum and abroad, it is quite clear that you have some form of resentment towards australia. It's hardly suprising considering the state of your country, what is suprising is that you now try to pretend we are racist towards muslisms/indonesians. "havn't seen this before".

Its funny how you little minorities in australia whinge about australains as though we hate you when you are the ones making all the noise. Are your lives that boring and mundane that you need to create drama though some imaginary little fantasy world that suggests most australians would waste a second of there time even thinking to hate muslisms / ethnic minorities. I know its convenient to think this, as it now gives you some premise to start hating australians in return. Maybe one day you will apprecaite that the truth of the situation is "no one here gives a f*#k". The only time Australians even bothered to care about indo's was when they were drowning. Fortunate for them that we did seeing as proud to be indo has demonstrated that not even their own country cared!

Proud to be indo, did it not occur to your feeble little mind, that if you come into an australian forum and insult my country I will defend it, just like you have tried (and failed quite miserably at that) to defend your country by constantly regurgitating the comment "weakling australia"...Your really getting boring little one, please try to come up with something a little more enlightening next time or go back to the paupa forum and cry weakling australia there another 50 times.
Posted by kish, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 3:41:36 PM
kish

Great post mate - goodonya!

Proud To Be Indonesian is really quite boring. Remember the days when we used to talk about whinging Poms? They had nothing on whinging and whining compared to PTBI. Sigh! He gets his few minutes of fame I guess - because you and I and others bother to acknowledge him - as fair dinkum Aussies do, even if people are a pain in the ar**! It's all too much for this human unit.

PTBI's government did not help his own proud people surrounding the recent devestating tsunami - we put our hands in our collective pockets - I wonder if PTBI did? Doubt it.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 6:02:39 PM
@kalweb:

"Bitter and nasty people like her and Proud To Be Indonesian ought to stay far away from our shores."

LOL, me "bitter'? Wakakaka, far from it, my dear, I am merely giving a useful advice on how to avoid getting yourself killed by a stingray and thus turning your wife into widow and your children into orphans: DON'T HARRASS ANIMALS. LOL

"raving on about how the Indonesians so quicklly got over the tsunami"

LOL, another complete misapprehension on your part. Picture this in your mind: Indonesia is a huge country stretching the distance from Ireland to Iran. The tsunami affects less than 1% of Indonesian population. 99% of Indonesians were completely unaffected by the tsunami.

BTW your small amount of aid is kind of cool, but then again most of the reconstruction costs and the aid effort is done by selfless Indonesian government and volunteers. We don't really need your money. Basically, you can go to hell with your "aid".

@kish:

LOL, what "argument" are you referring to? None of your rantings contains any discrenable argument to speak of. It merely contains racism and hate-filled anti-Indonesian rantings, probably derived from your frustration since the weakling Australia is completely unable to exert any influence over Indonesia.

Fact is, Indonesians don't care much about Australia. We would be completely indifferent should your weakling country Australia suddenly disappeared from face of the earth tommorrow. LOL
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 11:35:28 AM
A funny news about the stupidity of some Australians, LOL:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5338118.stm
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 11:47:56 AM
PTB Indo...

ONE WORD..........CREEPY...
Posted by OZGIRL, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 12:36:41 PM
Waltzing Matilda

That beautiful song was Australia to me
before "Crocodile Hunter" aired on TV

He was crazy, brash, exuberant and fun
I never saw another do what he'd done

A pioneer in his field, a man with fight
he brought a gorgeous Australia to sight

So full of dedication, enthusiasm and grit
for the sanctity of wildlife--his passion was lit

For the land and the animals his purpose was filled
yet I think too soon his bright, helping spirit was stilled

He cried for that which moved him and all that he loved
for the critters, his family on earth and his mother above

When I think of his passing I can scarce breathe
while I pray for his loved ones, as the world grieves

As tears fill my eyes so that I can not see
would someone play "Waltzing Matilda" for me

...Thank you Steve Irwin, and family...

~~*~~

Copyright 2006 Kathy Pippig Harris
Posted by kathap, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 2:18:37 PM
proud to be indo,

"LOL weakling Australia, LOL"...oh jee never that saw that coming. You do realise the english language consists of more words than Weakling and Australia? Of course I didn't expect anything less from your feeble little mind, but "Wakakaka". What are you now? one of those keropi frog / Pokemon "cute" asians? I think we should change your nick to "proud to be illeterate". Its quite clear that you can't even comprehend my posts let alone refute them. Evidence of this is obvious "LOL, what "argument" are you referring to". My points were quite clear for anyone who has a decent command of the english language, but just for the dummies here they are again:

1. Who are you to comment on the way steve treats animals, look at your own country and the way they respect animals? does that make you proud to be indonesian?http://rainforests.mongabay.com/20indonesia.htm

2. Look at the way your country treats humans for petty offences let alone animals!

3. we couldnt care less what happens to you or your pathetic, LITTLE, over populated country that redefines the word corruption and has been run by countless dictators.

4. What has indonesia ever done for Australia accept whinge that were anti islam? Before you refute with what has australia done, well we gave you over 1 billion in aid which is as much as your govt spends on there military every year!

5. you refered to me as "mate", so you hate australia yet now your using australian slang and living in the country, why is this? Why are you lowering yourself to live in such a "weakling country"? Dont say education because how can Ausralia have a better education than indonesia if we are the Weakling country?

6. HOW ARE WE WEAKER THAN INDONESIA?this one you refuse to answer. Our GDP is better per capita, our GNP (real measure of wealth) is much better than indo, so how are we WEAKER than Indo?

7. Why cant you reply with anything more intellegent than "weakling australia" and with no justification how australia is weaker?

cont...
Posted by kish, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 4:33:17 PM
Kathap..that was beautiful...bought tears to my eyes ..
He will be sadly missed..and its just not fair..no matter how u look at it.
Posted by OZGIRL, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 4:37:42 PM
Ozgirl -- Thank you! I have been so disturbed by his passing. Everyday it is on my mind and when I watch him on Animal Planet, I feel such despair thinking of what the world has lost. I never thought to be moved as I find myself to be. There is a great loss felt by my coworkers, friends, and family. Writing about it in the poem of dedication is my way of working through the grief.

Kathap
Posted by kathap, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 4:50:30 PM
proud to be indo, cont...

8. "but we will not shirk from extracting punishment from Australia" What can indonesia possibly do?

9. What could australia possibly want from Indonesia other than its oil in Timor which we are already taking?

10. "We are very nice people" how are you nice people when you yourself have stated that 99% of indos didnt care about the tsunami and it may as well have happened in Alaska? If you cant even care about yoru own people then a) how are you nice? b) who can you care about?

11. How have I been racist to indos or muslims? Your the one that has written numerous posts with a bitter anti aussie sentiment on this and other forums?

Let me guess youll refute all these points with "LOL Weakling Australia"? Well lets go back to "Weakling Australia" yet again to sum it all up once and for all as well as add a new argument.

You say that Australia is the "weakling country" yet I already have demonstrated that our Economy is much better than indonesia, so as far as that is concerned were much stronger. BUT lets make the assumption that you so niavely thought the indonesian army is superior to that of Austrlaia due to its population. For this I refer you to the CIA World Fact Book that ranks the militaries of the world by the amount of expenditure each country gives to its military! https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2067rank.html

You'll note that Australia on this ranking is 11th, indonesia on this rankjing is 50th! We spend literally 17 times more money on our military a year than indonesia. So even our military is STRONGER than yours unless you so stupidly (and this would hardly suprmise me coming from you) think that wars of today are fought by soldiers in hand to hand combat over military arms and technology. So please enlighten me "proud to be a moron", How is Ausralia the Weakling? Now that I have clearly numbered my points, you have no excuses except a sheer lack of intellegence to avoid your rebutals!
Posted by kish, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 4:55:23 PM
kath

Many thanks for your delightful poem. And thanks to you OZGIRL.

Kish - your last two posts say it all to Poor Troubled Bebuggered Indonesian! Sometimes I wonder if he is really Indonesian. Maybe he is simply an Internet Forum or Chat nut who wants to get a buzz - 5 minutes of fame - anonymously.

Surely, if he is truely Proud To Be Indonesian he would use his real name? No guts I guess.

What a waste of oxygen he is - similar to Germaine Greer. Ho hum.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 7:26:30 PM
@kish:

LOL, poor little kish. If you want me to educate you, I shall generously give you a free lessons.

"1. Who are you to comment on the way steve treats animals, look at your own country and the way they respect animals? does that make you proud to be indonesian?"

LOL of course, even Steve Irwin himself for his shows often went to Indonesia's national parks to meet rare animals protected by Indonesian law. It is 100% clear Indonesian respect animals much more than retarded Australians who love killing stingrays over some perverted vengeance-wish.

"2. Look at the way your country treats humans for petty offences let alone animals!"

LOL, are you categorising drug-smuggling as "petty offences"? Are you such an uneducated bum you never heard of harmful effects of narcotics?

"3. we couldnt care less what happens to you or your pathetic, LITTLE, over populated country that redefines the word corruption and has been run by countless dictators."

LOL, I'm afraid your PM Howard, FM Downer, and every single Australian with some education clearly disagrees with you.(http://www.austrade.gov.au/corporate/layout/0,,0_S1-1_CORPXID0029-2_-3_PWB110593183-4_-5_-6_-7_,00.html).

Your hilarious statement of Indonesia as "little" also shows you possess geographical knowledge of a little infant.

"4. What has indonesia ever done for Australia accept whinge that were anti islam?"

LOL, Indonesia could not care less about weakling Australia, much less bothering about your religious prejudices.

"5. you refered to me as "mate", so you hate australia yet now your using australian slang and living in the country, why is this?"

LOL, "mate" came English language and is used widely in English-speaking world. There is no such thing as "Australian slang", as all your trends and cultures are photocopied from UK or USA.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Thursday, 14 September 2006 3:10:21 PM
"6. HOW ARE WE WEAKER THAN INDONESIA?"

LOL, what a joke. Our GDP is higher than you with a much higher economic growth as well. Meanwhile there are much more rich Indonesians than there are people in Indonesia. There are millions of Indonesians who lived in luxurious lifestyle far above the living standards of most Australians. GDP per capita means nothing, GDP of China, Brazil, Russia, and Indonesia are lower than Australia, yet all these countries are much stronger than weakling Australia LOL

"8. "but we will not shirk from extracting punishment from Australia" What can indonesia possibly do?"

LOL, d'oh, we will sent these misbehaving Australians to jail or firing squad like the Bali Nine and Corby.

"9. What could australia possibly want from Indonesia other than its oil in Timor which we are already taking?"

LOL, are you talking about the miniscule amount of oil in Timor Sea? The costs of maintaining your incompetent military in the failed state of East Timor itself already exceeded any income you gained from the over-rated oil resource. Deal with it, dummy, East Timor is a burden that is shackled to Australia's neck, just as President Habibie wanted when he expelled East Timor from Indonesia. LOL

"10. "We are very nice people" how are you nice people when you yourself have stated that 99% of indos didnt care about the tsunami and it may as well have happened in Alaska?"

LOL, it is clear that Indonesians care too much about the tsunami victims as shown by the thousands of volunteers that went to the province to help with recovery and reconstruction effort. They stayed far after the over-rated foreigners already left Aceh.

"11. How have I been racist to indos or muslims?"

LOL, every single of your posts in this thread contains blind hateful slurs against Indonesian people. But I guess you are too dumb and lacking in self-awareness to realise that LOL.

"I already have demonstrated that our Economy is much better than indonesia."

LOL,-Indonesia's-economy-is-larger-than-Australia-while-our-economic-growth-is-more-than-double-Australia's.-Your-delusion-that-Australia's-economy-is-"stronger"-than-Indonesia-is-very-hilarious.

"For-this-I-refer-you-to-the-CIA-World-Fact-Book-that-ranks-the-militaries-of-the-world-by-the-amount-of-expenditure-each-country-gives-to-its-military!"

LOL,-military-spending-means-nothing.-USA-with-its-massive-military-was-defeated-by-poverty-stricken-Vietnamese,-malnutrioned-Somali-militias,-and-are-being-defeated-by-the-disorganised-Iraqi-resistance.

As-for-Australia,-your-navy-cannot-even-prevent-8000-Indonesian-boats-from-fishing-in-"Australian"-waters-each-year.-Your-weakling-military-will-be-easy-meat-for-our-superior-military
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Thursday, 14 September 2006 3:28:57 PM
Oh Dear ..the grubby lil worm is back...and no John Howard and Alexander does NOT represent the majority of educated pple in Australia...

Most Australian pple think Indonesia is a backward primitive country if u must know..

They practice unspeakably cruel practices toward their animals, have mo regard for human rights issues(all the pple that died as boat pple etc)

The primitive is exampled by the Bali bombings etc...the primitive is exampled by hanging pple for drug offences on their first offence..regardless of circumstances..barbaric and unevolved to say the very least.You are inconsequential and I dont hate you as a person...but ur own country has a very bad human right s record that is recognised through out the world..

Im sorry u are so angry ...whatever the problem is you must take steps to rid urself of the anger and hurt...life is wonderful...be the best person u can be while your here.

Save your anger and channel it into righting some of the injustices in your own country..postive energy that actually can help ur pple.

The problem here is one of mere cultural differences..we dont have the death sentence and that speaks of the huge cultural gap that exists on all levels between our 2 countries...

We Australia, dont pretend to be perfect and we are the 1st to admit it...
Posted by OZGIRL, Thursday, 14 September 2006 3:41:28 PM
proud to be illiterate,

Poor attempt to steer clear of the facts in a pathetic last ditch effort to resusitate the credibility of Indoneisa.

1. "went to Indonesia's national parks to meet rare animals protected by Indonesian law." so then why does indonesia have the SECOND highest logging rate in the world. I can see your govt is trying there level best, or could it be the lovley corruption seeping through. Indonesians couldnt care less, that is why half your animals are on the verge of extinction. That is why the streets of jakarta are filled with stray dogs, etc.

Why don't we have logging problems here or stray dogs? It's a shame that Ive been to indo on more than one occasion and my mother is malaysian, so your attempts to deny this would be rather futile.

2. Yes, drug mules DO NOT deserve to die (especially considering how associates of the bali bombers DID NOT receive the death penalty). It is in-humane beyond the joke to kill petty drug mules. I know the effects of nacatoics about 1 million times better than you could ever hope to know. Why dont you explain to everyone the effect that MDMA has on your serotonim neurons? Dont rant on about something you know next to nothing about.

3. Your our 10th biggest trading partner. We are your 7th biggest. You need us more than we need you. Any PM that suggests trading with our neighbours is anything less than a good idea is an idiot. I would love to see your PM say that trading with australia is a waste of time. Only morons like you lack the brain cells to suggest such nonesense.

4. Yawn. that would mean nothing, what a suprise!

5. hahahahah "mate" is about as Australian as you can get as far as our slang / lingo is concerned. Pommies and Americans dont use that word in that context. You were caught out using our slang, tsk tsk little one, not doing your "I hate australia" pr campaign any favours.
Posted by kish, Thursday, 14 September 2006 5:11:04 PM
How pathetic that this thread about Steve Irwin has resorted to a immature fight about which country is less primitive.

Who cares?
This thread is our opportunity to say something nice about Steve Irwin.

His children might one day read it when they want to do some research on their dear father.

There is no proof that Stever Irwin has done anything terrible- he was one of the best conservationalists in the world. It doesn't matter whether you personally liked him or his personality.

So please pull yourself together and bash up each others countries somewhere else- you can start a new thread and I'm sure there must be people who want to defend or attack countries.

Steve loved the whole world.

To his kids, if they ever read this: your dad was a great bloke who didn't lower himself to saying bad things about other people or countries. He saw the best in everyone.

He would be very proud of little Bindi and his baby son. I hope they grow up to follow in his footsteps.

That's all, folks.
Posted by Celivia, Thursday, 14 September 2006 5:22:00 PM
6. Lets teach moron some simple economics. GDP represents the total number of LOCAL and FOREIGN companies in Indonesia. MOST of your GDP is FOREIGN companies that reside in Indonesia to service your ridiculous population, and guess what idiot. Because they are foreign the MONEY THEY MAKE GOES BACK HOME! GNP represents all the Indo companies in Indoneisa and Abroad! MONEY THAT STAYS IN INDONESIA.

Your GDP is hardly much more than ours, but your GNP is literally 1/4 the size of ours! Per capita are these figures divided by your population to get a true representation of HOW WELL your country is doing CONSIDERING THERE POPULATION! GNP is a true measure of your countries wealth and economic success. Your GDP is nothing more than sucessful overseas companies! So yes you are weaker econommically.

7. I will use this space to correct you yet again, indonesia is small, its about 1/7th the size of australia, is that what you call large?

8. So killing petty drug mules is how you will teach Australians a lesson. Yawn, is this an argument or a joke? Oh jee...better not send my shipment of drugs now to bali! So how does this teach us a lesson?

9. Yes I am talking about the oil in Timor which your govt couldn't manage to take control of with all it's "paid millitia" and eneded up just forfeiting as a result. Dont worry little one, we have plenty of money to throw in case you didnt notice.

10. You have already said "it may as well have happened in Alaksa". Don't backflip and change your story now.

11. Your army is pathetic at best. They could only topple the Dutch after the Dutch had been pretty much destroyed in WW2. Even then they paid the japs to form millitia! Is that all your army can do, pay amatures to fight for them? Read and LEARN

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/200510102426.asp

Your Navy is worse than ours, your air force is not even comparable and one australian soldier is so well trained, etc they would be about 4 indo soldiers combined! yawn!
Posted by kish, Thursday, 14 September 2006 5:41:47 PM
Oh Celivia...how nice of you to 'come up for air' from your other thread about the churches role in animal cruelty...and then only to patronise us about how immature and petty we are being..this man is insulting and hateful, but then perhaps you dont know that because youve been nowhere to be seen for a while now..certainly not on here..

He has been insulting Steve Irwin if you card to take a look and that is not acceptable behaviour on a forum about Steve Irin...his children if indeed they do reread these posts would be glad to see someone stood up and defended their dad.

And you and your forum with title "Christians where the bloody hell are you?' should be the last one to lecture about immaturity.

Dont insult pples intelligence Celivia..pple dont like to be patronised.
Posted by OZGIRL, Thursday, 14 September 2006 6:15:34 PM
OZGIRL, are you sure Celivia was specifically having a go at you? Celivia correct me if I'm wrong. You seem to be suggesting on a number of occasions that "Chip on his shoulder about being Indonesian" was not worth squabling with and then did what I do all too often and bought into it anyway. Thats human nature.

I've not read all the posts thoroughly but from what I can see Celivia's comment is a fair one about the debate.

Steve Irwin was a great guy who did a lot of really good work. He cared deeply about the environment and helped a lot of others appreciate it more. I saw a guy who gave life everything he had, we can ask no more than that of any person.

Unfortunately some have taken the occasion of his passing to grind their personal axes and it is sad that the thread seems to have been overwhelmed by that stuff.

I've not known Celiva long through these forums but what I have seen of her posts I've been impressed by, the interpretation you've given her post does not seem to fit with the rest of what I've read of her stuff.

Cheers
R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 14 September 2006 9:17:56 PM
Thank you RObert, I'm honoured! You are not wrong; it was not my intention at all to aim my comments at OZGIRL!

All I wanted to say is that this discussion was supposed to honour Steve Irwin and instead ended up in some insulting-match about people's countries.
No matter who started it and who bought into it doesn't matter, I wanted to just (perhaps not subtle enough ;) ) remind people that STEVE IRWIN LOVED THE WORLD and if people want to bash up countries this would not be the right place to do that.

OZGIRL,
First of all, I agreed with you long ago about the title being a bit strong of that church thread and that's why I changed it long ago. Now you're bringing up old stuff.

I see that your intentions were good, that's why my comments actually were LEAST directed at you! I was aiming at the overall discussion.

Many people are off OLO on busy days and on again during less busy times in their daily schedules.

The reason I wrote what I wrote is that I quickly checked what people had said on this thread and found all insults and attacks on each other's countries and thought it was not respectful to do that so soon after Steve's death.
Steve never had a bad word to say about any country as far as I know.

Look at the tread today! It has degraded even more with talk about navy, war and destruction!

If I had seen this earlier, I would have just said "Hey people take this outside; start your own discussion if you need to- this is disrespectful in a discussion about Steve Irwin."

I think it would do anyone credit to refuse to buy into this discussion on here.

Off now to 'do' something till later today- haven't even had time to look on the church thread yet!

So you know, I am not going to further discuss this attack on me either- I know my own intentions were clean.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 15 September 2006 10:01:49 AM
Celivia, you say, "Hey people take this outside; start your own discussion if you need to- this is disrespectful in a discussion about Steve Irwin."

Steve Irwin did not take conservation far enough in the Sunshine Coast, possibly to keep in the good books of his sponsor the Queensland Government, who he worked for indirectly with the Tourism & Other Promotions, the extent & knowledge of which we will
Never know! What has he or his company done for the rare spieces of Qld, let alone Australia?
What I can tell you is the World is joining in on, Save the Mary River/Hey!
This Lung fish is a rare breed

Hey!
Rare variety, Neoceratodus forsteri

Experts join the battle on dam

By CAROLYN TUCKER

Sunshine Coast Daily 8 Sep 2006

"Quote/
Australia’s leading expert on the lungfish, Professor Jean Joss, and Swedish palaeontologist and biologist Professor Per Ahlberg initiated the campaign soon after plans for the dam were unveiled. "
This Lung fish is dangerously becoming extinct.

Mr Beattie & your Dam Building Crew,
THEY MEAN TO SAVE THE LUNG-FISH
FROM THE LIKES OF YOU!
ps. if you wish to view a picture species of Lung-fish
go to http://www.neosys.ne.jp/neo/english/HG01.html
Posted by ELIDA, Friday, 15 September 2006 2:30:30 PM
Celivia..in essence I agree with you about the slanderous attacks..if you read back you will see that that was my position..but this troll person kept up his smear campaign and it did get the better of me..thats not wrong however..He comes into an Australian forum and is just plain ugly to Steve and Australians and Australia in general.
Even though a couple of pple on here were mincing words and even though I thought it futile, I completely understood why..and I agreed in sentiment at least.We are all Australians and should stand by each other and Im not embarrassed that I engaged this person..hes a troll for heavens sake.I stood up for Steve and Australia..and we ought to have more Aussie spirit in this country not less..Americans supported Steve Irwin far more than us Aussies ever did..thats why he was overseas in America fighting for his cause , because America loved and supported him...whereas a lot of Aussies saw him as an embarrassment.When you love someone.. you stand by them.

If Steve children ever found themselves reduced to going over old OLO posts(heaven forbid ..they would be busy hopefully doing dads work) that at least they would see that Aussies did stand up for their dad when he was least able to speak for himself and they would be heartened by that.

It is completely the AUSTRALIAN WAY TO STAND UP for those who cannot stand up for themselves..dont u agree?

If you go back over your post you will see your language was inflammatory ..please soften your language and your tone..it will prevent misunderstandings from occurring..you could have said exactly the same thing with a more respectful,a less patronising tone. My sister does this ,we dont get on.
Yes you were right but also wrong.

Great u have things to 'do'.You do an awful lot of research for this forum...how do you fit it in?:)

'

Robert... when did you change your name to Celivia?:)
FYI Celivia has taken aim at me before, let it go for civility sake.

I have to say Celivia..u sound about 100 right now!?.
Posted by OZGIRL, Friday, 15 September 2006 3:44:52 PM
Ah Elida, I can identify with your concern for the lungfish. The proposed dam is not a stand-alone problem. Rather it is a symptom of bigger ones.
Whether or not the dam goes ahead, under "business as usual" for economic growth (of which increasing human numbers is the major factor), the lungfish will eventually be kaput. Economic growth will irretrievably disturb its environment one way or another; not least by climate change.
Crocodiles, empowered by humanity's recent friendly face (as facilitated by Steve Irwin), are marching south. For all we really know, they could already have a presence in the Brisbane River. Assisted by warmer temperatures for breeding, there is likelihood of an increasing population of them as far south as Maryborough and Bundaberg.
Under pressure from their own numbers, some will be paddling and waddling upstream to have lungfish for breakfast.
Lets hear it for native biota generally: Lungfish, turtles, insects, the lowly fungi which underpins almost everything - all of which are under threat, and each no less important than the more flamboyant big scaly.
Posted by colinsett, Friday, 15 September 2006 4:44:54 PM
Colinsett, I have only once seen a lung-fish in the 80’s at what I know now was the Mouth of the Mary River, friends had taken myself and 2 youngest children, possibly to see the small creature. It had been confiscated by fisheries inspectors, or water police [ I had met some of them & had not realized their area covered such a wide span] Still, at that time I did not understand what the fuss was about.

Flamboyant big scaly, has his dedicated followers who would enjoy having them spread to the Mary & Brisbane River System. They actually helped then into the Fitzroy when the 1990 flood, as they claimed the poor old fella might drown if left in his cage. He may have ended up at the Yeppoon Zoo, where another scaly breeder enjoys a lot of television News Time. He made a point of introducing his nephew & self to me at the last Rockhampton Show, now how is that for business promotion, to one who dislikes the critters, and the Government that refuses to remove from parts of the river people do use.
Posted by ELIDA, Friday, 15 September 2006 5:24:57 PM
OZGIRL, "Robert... when did you change your name to Celivia?:)"

It's still me.

I do stick my nose in from time to time when I think someone is being badly misunderstood. Not always, only so many posts a day and I only do it when I'm fairly confident that I'm right. You and Celivia have both brought some interesting material to a number of threads, I'll be saddened to see you at each others throats over a misunderstanding. There's enough genuinely nasty types out there.

Part of the process on these threads involves disagreements from time to time with people who you might often find yourself agreeing with in other places. Scout and I have disagreed on a number of threads, sometimes fairly strongly but we have managed (most of the time) to maintain what I percieve to be a healthy level of respect for one another. A friend who I've not met in person.

I think that these forums are much easier to deal with if you only notice an attack if it is clearly spelt out. It also helps to be able to put that history aside when the poster has something good to say. Relax and enjoy the debate and don't let it get to you.

Sometimes when you are attacked you will wonder what you did to deserve being attacked, I've still not worked out why Wendy went for me on the other thread but that is just part of the way it is around here.

I've appreciated the times you answered my concerns with an answer rather than defense.

Cheers
R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 15 September 2006 6:24:46 PM
PTBI,

Your posts add a bit of spice to what can otherwise be a pretty bland meat and potatoes opinion site. We in Australia have own very own National Treasure Troll. Although she lives mostly in England now, she has proven reliable at whacking the hornets nest of Australian culture (often at the most inappropriate times and in the most outrageous manner) and I, for one, will be very sad when she hangs up her length of 4x2.

For many other posters on this thread, can I suggest checking out this site before ordering the nukes on Jakarta?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Posted by Snout, Friday, 15 September 2006 7:48:59 PM
Elida, I understand what you're saying - but Steve hadn't finished yet, I figure. We will never find out what else he would have done. I hope Terry (and their kids) will seriously think about taking conservation further.

Very good advice, RObert. You're right to say that it would be a shame to let a misunderstanding wreck a discussion.

OZGIRL,
it's cool. I guess it's very hard not to get 'sucked in' by trolls.
Really- I think it is best not to 'feed' trolls- they get pleasure out of people's anger and defence; they don't deserve our attention.

I suppose I can't please everyone- nobody can. I am who I am.

RObert is right- we both care about animal welfare and I don't have any hard feelings towards you.
OZGIRL, it's best to move on and look forward to the discussions we have on OLO ;)
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 15 September 2006 8:33:52 PM
RObert,
You are a sweetie, but then males have always been the level headed logical ones..thankfully for women the world over..

I guess I did take Celivias words a bit personally and thankfully is all done now.

Celivia...everything is cool..
I too have to admit that on your thread when I 1st posted that my tone was also a little inflammatory and I got you a bit hot under the collar as well..but its all forgotten..
We will indeed move on...Cheers.
Posted by OZGIRL, Friday, 15 September 2006 9:40:36 PM
Well done, Celivia

I have not been a member of this forum, but I was surfing on the Net and found this horrible conversation going on between Aussies and the Indonesian. I noticed that you can click on a small symbol and see the adversarial nature of some of the participants. It is good to see a voice of calm and reason.

Of particular sadness was the fact that I have friends who have worked hard and given of their time and money to help Indonesia in their time of need. Some of us raised enough money to build a home for orphans. Obviously adversaries on both sides of this conversation were oblivious or indifferent to the efforts some make in view of peace. Just to add weight to my point, I post a few details:

World Vision Appeal update - Last updated: 4 April 2006
Funds raised as at 28 February: $111.3 million
World Vision Australia has now wound down its Asia tsunami appeal following this unprecedented response from members of the public.
The overwhelming generosity from Australians, means that we now have sufficient funds to assist those whose lives were devastated by the Boxing Day tsunami over the next five years.
http://www.worldvision.com.au/appeals/tsunami/

A report from UNICEF released today shows that six months after the disaster:
• Approximately 1.2 million children have been immunised against measles and nearly 850,000 have been provided with Vitamin A supplementation.
• Hundreds of thousands have access to adequate sanitation facilities and more than a million people per day are being reached with safe drinking water.
• Three quarters of a million children have been given school supplies, enabling most to return to school within two months of the disaster.
http://www.unicef.com.au/mediaCentre-Detail.asp?ReleaseID=622

Let us make an effort to do good instead of engendering more hatred and loathing in this world. Only when we cast aside our differences will we make this world a better place. Whether or not we like Steve Irwin or respect what he was doing, we are certainly responsible for our own actions.
Posted by graceal0ne, Friday, 15 September 2006 10:18:28 PM
OZGIRL, "You are a sweetie," - why shucks (he says blushing a bit).

Can I comment on
" but then males have always been the level headed logical ones..thankfully for women the world over.."

over on the "Dissing men" thread - it's probably on topic over there.

Cheers
R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 16 September 2006 8:21:02 AM
Ozgirl, R0bert

I think I am going to puke.

"but then males have always been the level headed logical ones..thankfully for women the world over.."

Two words:

What the?

Gee, I guess next time I want to cross the road, I'll just ask a 'logical, reasonable' male to take my hand 'cos I'm sooo stupid being female and all.

R0bert - you should be ashamed of yourself, you know full well men and women are as capable or incapable as each other.

Ozgirl - you thought I was a man initially - because you thought my posts were so logical and reasonable. Does your POV mean that if something is stated by a woman it ceases to be rational?

I really don't understand you, Ozgirl, why do you bother putting your opinion on line if you think you are lacking in reason and logic, being a female?

And what the fork does this have to do with Steve Irwin?
Posted by Scout, Saturday, 16 September 2006 9:18:59 AM
Scout..part of me was thinking ,as I typed, tongue in cheek,:)what a fat juicy baited hook...

And in you came ,right on queue....how predictable.

Geee, Scout what was I thinking?
I do not always want to be a strong ball breaking woman, thats my choice,women are allowed to be soft, appreciative of the opposite sex,its the ying and yang element..you cant escape it..we all have our feminine side..even you.

But I reject that you are keeper of my behaviour...feminist or otherwise..

Please respect others rights to have values and opinions that may disagree with yours..and that includes Robert.(sorry Robert..she DID buy into this u know)

We should not be afraid of our feminity Scout we should embrace it..Its tiring being forever militant and vigilant that none would ever objectify a woman, in the society we live what a losing battle and one would be forever angry if we arked up every time we saw a perceived infringement against the rights of women..I just want to get with being a woman and enjoy it. Men and women can be good friends AND respect each other into the bargain..but not to the point that they are afraid to be just who they were born to be.

I get a bit impatient with feminist crap..be a bit original please..we are pple..why create barriers between us..thats all feminism does.Work together.

Uh oh..Im off topic on the Steve Irwin forum, just as you were when you told me off whilst you were on the Steve Irwin forum...Ill not speak on this subject again..Im fine with anything Ive done..you however poked your nose in .
Is your name ROBERT?
Posted by OZGIRL, Saturday, 16 September 2006 4:12:20 PM
Now Scout,was it you who complained about my comments about Natasha Stott-Despoia?I said she was a good sort,my main offence was that I should have used the present tense.Now outwardly both,you and Natasha would be offended by male lustful comments,but secretly it puts a hop in your step and you have positive elevated feelings.

Now here is the hyprocracy at work here,many feminists try to break stereo types by being non conformist,ie no make up and the butch short hair look,then become offended and angry because men ignore them.If you write like a man,show male aggression,we assume you have male characteristics and therefore show no interest.

Sorry this is nature at work here and most normal hetro men are hard wired to like the female form.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 16 September 2006 4:42:20 PM
Good post Arjay

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Saturday, 16 September 2006 6:21:43 PM
EEK!
(Edit comment: There is no need for that many exclamation marks. Remove them to continue.)

Not fair!

*snatches back her exclamation marks and runs off* to have a look what's going on in the "dissing men" discussion.
Posted by Celivia, Saturday, 16 September 2006 8:26:12 PM
I received the following this morning from PRO-MED

"Source: ABC Online, Australia [edited]
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1740534.htm

A crocodile vet from South Africa has put forward a new theory about
why thousands of Northern Territory crocodiles are dying. A disease
has been decimating stocks of crocodile hatchlings since it was
discovered in June [2006]."

graceal0ne, The trick here is not to take others comments too serious, or to heart.
I get the shivers when I see a salt-water crocodile, the ones that Steve Irwin was mostly
Shown promoting on television. The fresh water one is much less promoted in the media.
PTBI adds a little flavour to otherwise dull reading, and there will always be those who take his bait.
I have read worse, ones who believe whole heartily that their brand of belief is the be all end all.
Posted by ELIDA, Saturday, 16 September 2006 8:56:27 PM
Arjay..well said I believe that we are all adults here and I believe I left home quite while ago...

There are some on here who would persist with silly little schoolyard 12 yr old girl tactics..and yes u know who u are.

Exclamation mark anyone?
Posted by OZGIRL, Saturday, 16 September 2006 9:44:25 PM
There are a lot of comments on this thread which are completely off-topic. If you want to talk about male and female differences I suugest you go to the general forum and start a thread. I might even start one for you! Otherwise, can you keep on topic, or I will start deleting comments.
Posted by GrahamY, Sunday, 17 September 2006 3:38:53 PM
Thank you, GrahamY, I thought there was a jump from racism to sexism so that's the reason I ran away;)

Thank you Grace, I agree with you about casting away our differences.

Elida I didn't know that about the disease of NT crocs- how terrible! Thanks for the links.

Sorry OZGIRL if that seemed childish to you but I also come on OLO to relax a little and have a little fun- as well as serious discussions (and we don't always have to be 100% serious I hope. You like a bit of fun too, don't you re your tongue in cheek comment and packing Yabby's hanky! Liked that! ;) )Really I don't mind a bit of humour.
Nothing I said was personal- if I want to be personal I won't omit addressing the person by name- me promise!

I was going to ask: did any of you get tickets to Steve Irwin's memorial?
Posted by Celivia, Sunday, 17 September 2006 4:55:00 PM
Grham - thank you. Point taken.

Celivia - no, I did not try for any tickets. I figure that young children should have first priority. Some of the behaviours of adults seeking tickets for their kids has been apalling here on the Sunshine Coast.

It's disgusting that some people gained free tickets and are now selling them on E_Bay. God, what next?

I sincerely bleed for Terri, family and close friends who have to endure such disgusting and immoral behaviours. Even so, I think that thankfully, most people are genuine in their wishes and bereavement for Steve.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Sunday, 17 September 2006 5:41:08 PM
Celivia..Im sorry too...I,ve maybe just not been around you enough to appreciate the different nuances of ur personality...It kind of came out of left field a bit and I couldnt connect it to anything other than our previuos minor disagreement.Humour is great and a should be encouraged.
Enough said and time to get on.

No I didnt get any tickets to Steve Irwins funeral...live way too far away but I think it should have fairly extensive coverage on TV and although its not the same most of Aus. will be there via that particular medium..

Scout...no hard feelings I hope.
Posted by OZGIRL, Monday, 18 September 2006 2:45:13 AM
Ozgirl

(apologies to GrahamY - but just want to clear up my misunderstanding).

I didn't realise you were being tongue in cheek because when you first started posting on OLO, you assumed I was male because you thought my posts were so 'inherently logical' - http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=4653#50485

BTW - Being intelligent doesn't make one lose one's 'feminity'. Those comments were unnecessary or where you being 'tongue in cheek' yet again?

I haven't participated in the 'dissing men' thread because I am fed up to the back teeth with abuse of either sex.
Posted by Scout, Monday, 18 September 2006 12:06:12 PM
Scout...yes your completely right..but I am a complex character..I do believe that women should have their rights respected, not a feminist position, just commonsense.Then I also believe the same for men..we should learn to accept that we are different and thats a good thing..I dont want equal rights with men..and men dont want equal rights to women...Women are powerful in their own way as men are powerful in theirs..ying and yang.Men and women complement each other..mother nature intended it that way..

Yes I thought you were male..but then you are a far more logical(I believe) than most females out there..most gals are ruled by their heart..to some degree.This balances out the logical less softer side of men..there are always exceptions to every rule though.

I feel the feminist movement has harmed men and created a divide that hurts all of us.
Commonsense is needed..like you I am fed up with it all.

I feel deeply disturbed when I see men bowing and scraping to hardline women, emasculating themselves and selling out there own sex in order to appease dominant females..its not right and vice versa for women...

Im sorry to Graham Y..but this needed to be cleared up..thank you for understanding.
Posted by OZGIRL, Monday, 18 September 2006 4:59:26 PM
Cevilia and co.

I think we seem to have some kind of misunderstanding here. I dont recall addressing any of my comments to yourself or others. In fact if I recall correctly my comments were directly addressed to PTBI. It would appear since then I have been branded as childish and / or racist. I am sorry that my comments have come across this way to people who visit this thread frequently enough to care. It's not about good old country bashing, or racial slurs. It is about pointing out to PBTI that before you sit there critising my country, and the country you are using to get a better educaiton, look at your own country first.

If people on here actually bothered to look at the history of comments from PTBI, they would notice that 90% of these comments are nothing more than condensending insults to Australia. One can ignore these and be the "better man" or one can refute these. I chose option B and I will never have an ounce of regret for defending my country, be it in an online forum or in a real life debate, etc. It is a shame that this debate had to start in a forum that was intially designed to commemerate Steve. The whole debate began by defending Steve ironically enough.

I for one will not tolerate idiots that use this country for a better education or other infrastructure / standard of living purposes, yet insult it left right and centre with an obvious racially motivated hatred. I never once made a negative reference to mulisms, or indonesians that would imply any hatred to these people. I merely pointed out facts about the country and culture that were used to proove a point. I have been to indonesia many more times than people in this forum, I am half malaysian / indian half australian, so my mother is malaysian which is about as close to indonesian as you can get...
Posted by kish, Tuesday, 19 September 2006 2:44:06 PM
contd...

So for me to be racist towards indoneisans would be much the same as having racial hatred for my own mother and her family back in Malaysia. Being mixed myself, I don't pre-judge people based on race, skin colour or culture. I do however judge people based on how they respect others and how they treat others. I also judge people based on there attitude towards others, which was half the reason why I even started debating with PTBI, because of his attitude towards Australians and Steve Irwin.

Now graceal0ne's comments, which I assume were directly aimed towards me are incredibly misguided. When the Tsunami disaster hit indonesia I was happy to donate money and do whatever I could. In fact I felt more of a emotional sadness towards their suffereing than most, having family in that region. So before coming to prejudice conclusions about the moral fibre of someone based on a couple of posts, I suggest people talk to that person first or read all of their posts and take them in their intended context. It seems that some comments about me have been taken from my posts if one were to read them OUT of context.

None of my comments about indonesians are hatred filled. I understand the culture alot better than anyone on this forum is likely to, except PTBI himself. I have absolutely nothing against indonesians, though some of their cultural values are not to my likeing. I also have alot of indo friends who are lovely people.

Once again I am sorry that people have taken this to heart, to the extent that I have been braded racist. I dont apologise for defending Australia be it on this forum / thread or any other. If people look at the other Steve Irwin forum, then you can see 3 posts I have written in commemeration of the great man. It was never my intention to use this forum and his passing as a platform to promote my supposed racial filled hatred for Indonesia.
Posted by kish, Tuesday, 19 September 2006 3:20:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy