The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reconcile or count the cost > Comments

Reconcile or count the cost : Comments

By Ted Lapkin, published 18/7/2006

Israel has a moral right to defend itself against brutal jihadists.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 15
  13. 16
  14. 17
  15. All
Israel has just announced it has refused an Australian government request for a ceasefire.

Australia wants to evacuate its citizens from Lebanon.

A few questions for those who are not known to have ever publicly criticised Israel ...

a) Is Australia's request a reasonable one?

b) Is Israel's refusal reasonable?

c) Would you support Israeli attacks on Lebanon if these resulted in the deaths of innocent Australian citizens?
Posted by Irfan, Tuesday, 18 July 2006 5:56:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Furphan,

I have publicly criticized Israel but still I am offended by the implication that you represent reason while those who disagree are prejudiced.

I suggest you answer your own rhetorical questions. I mean this with great respect – I think it will be a salutary exercise for you.

"It is not prejudiced to see where a person is wrong, it is prejudiced to not see where they think they're right" GK Chesterton

If you can do this publicly I will hazard an answer to your questions.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Tuesday, 18 July 2006 6:41:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice article Ted,

I understand that the majority of rockets used by Hezbollah are made in Syria. The C-802 anti-maritime missile was either constructed by China or copied in Iran. Apparently it was operated and launched by members of the Revolutionary Guard.

If Hamas and Hezbollah hide like cowardly curs in amongst civilians, and target woman and children from 40 km's away, then they show the true light of their dog prophet. If there were a man amongst them, they would fight honourably instead of cowering beneath petty-skirts.
Posted by Narcissist, Tuesday, 18 July 2006 7:34:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are some tenuous connections being made here.

Every man and his dog has been implicated, somehow or other.

OK, in the spirit of dubiously specious strings... lets not forget which country exports a lot of uranium and every other metal complicit in this symphony of death and destruction. Yeah, yeah, its a degree of seperation... whatever to semantics.

It really does leave me speechless when folks seemingly condone war and denigrate peace. Notwithstanding the brutal side of the human animal and how it manifests such ugly realities, it thoroughly baffles to observe the latently hostile masses cheering from the sidelines.

The mid east has been set back prolly 2 decades in the last 5 or 6 yrs. Its a bloody mess.

We dont help matters the way we carry on about carrying on.
Posted by trade215, Tuesday, 18 July 2006 8:14:33 PM
Israel must use more force and drag Syria, Iran and if possible the US into a real jihad, blow the Islamists back to the stone age where they want to be.

Perhaps now our very own Lebbo brothers of Cronulla fame may feel a little more grateful to thier gracious hosts.

Paybacks (jihad) a bitch aint it.
Posted by SCOTTY, Tuesday, 18 July 2006 8:38:40 PM
Irfan,

a)Australia’s request is naďve

b)Israel’s refusal is reasonable in view of the fact that it is defending itself

c)Many of the Australian citizens in Lebanon have dual citizenship and are quite happy to call themselves Lebanese when living in Australia. Now that they are in trouble, they really, really want to be Aussies. As for the rest, the Australian Government always has cautions regarding travel to Lebanon. The ongoing situation in the region is always volatile.

Israel will take what action it deems to be in its best interests as long as Lebanon harbours terrorists, irrespective of whose citizens are holidaying there. It is underhanded of you to suggest that Australians having a different view from yours would “support Israeli attacks on Lebanon if these resulted in the deaths of innocent Australian citizens.” - by posing a question designed to make people believe that that is what they would be doing.

Israel’s current defensive action has nothing whatsoever to do with what Australians think. If Australian citizens choose to go into dangerous areas, they must expect some risk.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 18 July 2006 8:38:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 15