The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > As Lebanon bleeds: a savage and unwinnable gambit > Comments

As Lebanon bleeds: a savage and unwinnable gambit : Comments

By Pierre Tristam, published 17/7/2006

Israel's offensive against Lebanon is an assault justified by the false rhetoric of self-defence.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All
Perhaps Israels assault on Lebanon is designed to provoke the 'silent majority' of decent peace-loving Lebanese into demanding that their government get rid of Hezbollah and its like once and for all.

The actions of Israel are of course perfectly just. There is only so much shelling/rockets launched from a country that can be ignored. Lebanon must be held accoutable for what happens in their territory, even if that means the killing of large numbers of the 'Peace-Loving Silent Majority'. Just as Israeli citizens have been murdered over the last 6-7 years by Hezbollah rocket attacks lauched via Lebanon.

So far, only Hezbollah leaders have been targeted by Israeli 'surgical strikes'. I would not be suprised if this was expanded to include Lebanese political figures. Israels rhetoric would certainly not exclude the use of Nuclear WMD if Damascus or Tehran overstep the boundaries.

A firm committment from Beirut to never again allow paramilitary organisation to operate from their territory should also be demanded by Israel, as well as an assurance from Tel Aviv that under no circumstances will Israel ever again negotiate with terrorists for prisoner exchanges.

This is a move Isreal should have done years ago.
Posted by Narcissist, Monday, 17 July 2006 10:58:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You've got my vote Narcissist - and so too does Israel.
Posted by Maximus, Monday, 17 July 2006 11:27:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well written, Peirre, I agree with just about all you say. As a person with Jewish ancestry which I'm ashamed to admit to when Israel behaves the way that it is at present, the reality is that, until there is a solution to the Palestinian problem, there won't be stablity in the Middle East. Of course, Israel's ambitions to a secure and peaceful homeland are justified but only if the millions of Palestinian refugees have their legitimate ambitions to sovereignty accepted and acted upon.

Having been in the US recently and met a number of Americans at an international scientific conference, my belief is that most Americans are scared witless by their impotency in solving the world's political problems. Interestingly, the view that US fundamentalist Christian groups are as radical in their world domination beliefs as are Muslim extremist groups such as bin Laden's murderers is starting to take hold in the USA. Sadly, the 2008 US presidential elections may be the earliest opportunity for a resolution to the ongoing Israel/US versus Palestinian/Arab disputes to arise.
Posted by Bernie Masters, Monday, 17 July 2006 11:57:16 AM
Bernie
the phrase "Solution to the Palestinian problem" is one of those all too easy to say types, that are alike "Lets find a theory of everything" to put it into you own scientific realm.

There are many possible solutions, lets list them in order of probably effectiveness, with 1 the most probably and the higher number the least.

1/ Genocide, kill them all. (morally repugnant, but workable.)

2/ Defeat, Deport, Disperse and Absorb all those who were removed from current Israel in the compulsory land acquisition in the interests of a cohesive Israeli State. i.e. those in the 'camps', where most of the militancy arises.

3/ Let them all return from the camps, to previously owned land, throw the Israelis now living there into either other countries or give them a water bottle and tell em to wander the Sinai for a few decades.

To me, number 2 is the most effective and compassionate and even workable.

I draw your attention to the foreign policy of 3 ancient kings.
1/ King Shalmanezer V of Assyria who invaded the Northern kingdom of Israel in 722BC
Policy= Exile and dispersion.

2/ King Nebachudnezzer of Babylon in 586 who invaded the remaining kingdom of Judah.
Policy=Exile and Dispersion.

3/ King Cyrus of Persia. 539BC.
Policy=Restoration and Tolerance.

Now, here is a quiz.. 'which' one of those policies actually achieved its goal of removing the 'Jewish problem' ?

Clearly, that Northern Israel dissappeared from the pages of history and is now dispersed in many countries including Iran and Afghanistan, genetically and historically verified, supports the 'Exile and Dispersion' model.

As soon as the well intentioned kindly King Cyrus who had recently joined the Greens and Democrats parties returned the Jews to Judah, they immediately had another 'Jewish problem'.

So, I argue passionately on the basis of history, that
Defeating
Deporting
Dispersion and
Absorption

-is the only workable model for a solution to the 'Palestinian Problem'.

It worked for Shalmanezer and Nebachudnezza...

People can rave on and rant about "International Law" till the Cows come home, it won't change fundamental human nature.

Good_Article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelites
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 17 July 2006 12:19:39 PM
IMO, if Tel Aviv is hit by Syrian/Iranian missiles, Syria & Lebanon should both be hit (WMD's preferably). Syria because they have by their actions, whether by killing Lebanon's previous anti-Syria brigade, their support of both HAMAS & Hezbollah, or their continued supply of weapons, seem to be trying to reinvigorate the Lebanese Civil War. In fact it is my firm belief that Israel is caught on the sideline of a Syrian power play, designed to prop up the Syrian government, both at the expense of Israel & Lebanon. Israel does not exist to prop up the Lebanese government, therefore, if the outcome of the powerplay is that it is harmed, because it is incapable of preventing it's territory being used to target Israeli cities, then so be it. The Israeli government currently (as a democracy) has an overwhelming mandate to stop the shelling/rockets. Unfortunately for Lebanon, they are stuck between Syria and Israel, and Syria will have its way with Lebanon, unless it overreaches, which is only too likely.

BUT, Syrian or Iranian overreaction will not save Southern Lebanon, but it may save the rest.

Inshallah

2bob
Posted by 2bob, Monday, 17 July 2006 12:27:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lets face it.It is just more Islamic Extremism cum Terrorism.I am on the side of the Israelis, and even more so when the Great Thug Ahmadinejad and his cronies are speaking openly about the total destruction of Israel,purely because of the violence and general approach as is documented in their belief system.

What else can the Israelis do?

There is one common denominator in all of this, and until they have the brains and civilisation to correct it, then it will just go on and on. All this b/s about Islam being a religion of peace is just that,b/s.

Isnt it interesting that we had some Lebanese Islamicists parading down the streets of Melbourne to protest about what is happening, but nothing at all was said about the Mumbai bombings,perpetrated by some Islamic nutters.Yet again
Posted by bigmal, Monday, 17 July 2006 12:33:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy