The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Knee-jerk law making > Comments

Knee-jerk law making : Comments

By George Williams, published 5/6/2006

Current anti-terror laws were unthinkable prior to September 11, so what will we end up with in the event of future attacks.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The Alchemist,

Somehow I knew you were going to retort with your favourite “no difference between all religions” this is why I urge you and others (yeah cry wolf again…) to SEE the difference that Islam will make once they have power and control over your freedom and life (YES) here in oz.

shorbe,

The war is not just at the petrol pump – even if this is starting to hurt every time we fill up our tanks – I so wish it were only a matter of economics…

The war on humanity was declared by Islam since its genesis. It is everybody’s business to be aware of that. It is not just for the religious as you may suggest.

Oil or no oil, putting aside terrorism and our cultural differences, Islam is here to stay, to propagate, and to take over at the appropriate time. Like it or not. Mark my words or prove me wrong.

Remember the thief strikes when the owner is asleep…
Posted by coach, Wednesday, 7 June 2006 11:48:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
coach: If you really believe that, then the only logical solution is an outright and all out war on Islam involving genocide because otherwise you're only ever going to be applying a Band-aid. Even if we were able to pull that off, I think it would completely shatter our own societies (economically, socially and morally) and possibly leave us open to be picked off by a third force.

What I'm saying though is that Islam (and an Islamic world order) is a joke. Who really wants to live under a world view spawned in the Dark Ages? There are some, to be sure (hopefully one day though, such religious inclinations will be treated as the psychiatric problems that they are), but in the main, most people in the world actually want to embrace modernity and civilisation if only because it would provide them with such a better standard of living.

As such, what we need to do to help that along is twofold. Firstly, we need to set a good example in our own countries, not become (if only in small measure) what we supposedly dislike. Secondly, we need to stop messing around in other countries, and a large part of that involves weening ourselves off oil. It's counter-productive to our own aims.

I'm not saying that the world will automatically and immediately embrace our own world view (after all, it took us half a millenium -- and we're still sorting it out), but that if we get on with our lives pretty well whilst leaving others alone there will be a fairly clear choice for people and these religious muppets as leaders will disappear up their own backsides as they largely have in most of the civilised world since there won't be this fallback, unifying claim of the west as some "Great Satan".
Posted by shorbe, Wednesday, 7 June 2006 1:11:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Horus.

You’ve made an interesting point (although I think everyone else has steered right off-course now). But one could argue that if they don’t like the danger then they can change careers – something that isn’t as unrealistic as it sounds considering most people these days have a complete career change at least once though-out their lifetimes (I’ve already done it once and I’m considering it again).

I fail to see how making individuals feel safer is worth endangering the freedoms of many generations to come by setting the precedence for future governments to strip them from their rights – even if it is just in the distant future.

But we don’t know if the Anti-terror laws even will make a difference and unfortunately, we may never know. In fact, there is one particular part of the anti-terror legislation that is actually completely counter-productive – the sedition laws. The reason I say this is because, by silencing the public from speaking-out or inciting violence against the government, we actually push those who we SHOULD fear further underground. And this is one of the reasons why I believe that the laws are about limiting our freedoms rather than protecting us. My question to the government is: How can silencing millions of law-abiding citizens make us safer?

BOAZ_David,

I note with interest that you’ve said: “on this issue, I don’t have too many worries because election time gives me the opportunity to change things”.

The difference in this case is that I’m not sure that even the Labor party would reverse these laws. Why? Think of it this way: If Labor makes an election promise to undo the laws and then there’s a terror attack - whether or not the laws would have prevented it – EVERYONE would blame Labor for the attack and some would even accuse them of having blood on their hands.
Sure, people would probably do that if the current government didn’t introduce the laws in the first place, but at least they could rest in the comfort that they never abused our freedoms to begin with.
Posted by Mr Man, Wednesday, 7 June 2006 7:02:46 PM
As did the Bird Flu, the destruction of civilisation by terrorism too shall pass.
Posted by Narcissist, Thursday, 8 June 2006 11:42:50 AM
I agree Narcissist. I just wonder how long that will take though.

It was only decades ago that Western governments around the world were trying to scare everyone into thinking that the Communists would soon rule the world. So much so that we drafted our own youth into one of the most pointless wars in history - Vietnam.

Then there was the big self-destructing boogy-man, The USSR. A cold war was then developed by the exaggerated claims of a select few in a neoconservative think-tank in order to frighten the American public.

Actually, (believe it or not) many of those who belonged to that think-tank are actually the same culprits who are responsible for the WMD claims resulting in our current mess in Iraq. Paul Wolfowitz, Donald Rumsfeld and Karl Rove to name a few.

This 'behind-the-scenes' bunch of neconservatives are actually the major reason I laugh so hard at the dopes on The Right who puff their chest with pride and proclaim that WE ARE AT WAR! Little do they know that virtually everything they believe (in this respect) is based on lies, manipulation and gross exaggeration. They haven't even the brains to look past our mainstream media at the 95% of the story that they're missing. Interesting stuff actually.

I guess they don't look past what they're initially told because what they hear at first suits their ideology and preferred view of the world.

It makes me wonder though, what will be the world's next boogy-man be? I'm think I'm young enough now to be around long enough to find out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Posted by Mr Man, Friday, 9 June 2006 12:21:33 AM
shorbe,

>> …the only logical solution is an outright and all out war on Islam involving genocide because otherwise you're only ever going to be applying a Band-aid.<<

We have been at war with Islam since the seventh century. Unlike Communism, Nazism, and most other “great satans”, Islam will not disappear or collapse simply because (we) don’t sympathise with it. It will take a lot of education to increase the awareness of the real danger Islam is posing to our world.

Genocide is not the right way to deal with Islam – this will only be a band-aid solution – the war is an ideological one. Islam believes it has discovered the divine truth and solution for our world and is compelled to spread it and apply Allah’s ruling on the rest of us.

I strongly believe that the Muslims are themselves the victims of this false belief. They are mostly satisfied to follow their leaders and be spoon-fed the lies about the evil west. Ironically the bulk of Muslims has no intention to embrace modernity and view “us” as decadent and evil.

So the change has to come from within Islam itself – they must face their own deceit, discover and embrace the truth and renounce the lies, before we can see a shift to peace and normality.

But until then I wouldn’t underestimate the potential damage Islam can bring upon modern civilization if we stand back and look the other way
Posted by coach, Friday, 9 June 2006 10:29:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy