The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A view from a living hell > Comments

A view from a living hell : Comments

By Bernie Matthews, published 12/5/2006

One man's story from the prison that never was.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
o sung wu, my involvement was more in the psychological spiritual aspect at Goulburn, I knew Pete well, mostly from a distance. Sadly I must agree with you regarding his situation, he was one out of the bag. There wasn't a day went by in the first few months of his transfer, that he wasn't a major hindrance and problem.

Robert, I'm sure o sung wu will explain his views. I feel there are many reasons why some end up in tracs, many of their own making, some set up by officers,( a small minority of times) inmates or even relatives. There are also those that refuse to accept their circumstance and approach it in the wrong way. From my short experience, most were rebellious because right or wrong, they didn't know what else to do. Not all were violent, just some uncontrollable.
Posted by The alchemist, Thursday, 25 May 2006 7:13:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good evening to you RObert - Thank you for your question...Bernie, a recidivist, was classified as an 'escapee'(by his own admission)...Further, he MAY have represented a 'stone in the shoe' for the administration. Escapees, cause major embarrassment for the Minister, the Commissioner, and the Executive of the Prison Admin. As you're aware, the media will 'climb all over' the department when a topical story emerges declaring...'dangerous criminal/s escape, and place the community at risk'...? I'm not aware that Bernie was a particularly violent person (were you Bernie ?). In any event, he certainly did not display that type of behaviour in my presence or, that I heard from other staff at Katingal. However, an 'escapee' he certainly was. Are some people sent to these special security facilities (like Katingal) wrongfully ? A few yes, I'm sure. Generally, I say generally, an inmate must display a certain course of conduct, in order that they are eventually sent to such a place eg. protracted violence, escaping et al. In terms of cost to the community, it's far more costly to keep an inmate in maximum security, than in a low security facility, such as a farm or camp. Katingal was a very cost prohibitive institution to maintain. It's far better to try and classify inmates suitable, for a less restrictive classification. In very simple terms, it costs less! It's my humble view, that our political masters as a whole, do not wish to spend too much money on Prisons. Those that possess a contrary opinion, with a very few exceptions, pay lip service only. If I may borrow that oft' used phrase...'out of sight, out of mind'. I'm pretty sure Bernie would agree with that proposition. RObert, I hope I've answered your questions sufficiently for you. Kind regards...o sung wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 25 May 2006 7:13:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu and alchemist, thanks for you both for your answers. Pretty much what I expected but as an outsider it is useful to hear viewpoints from those who have been involved.

It will be interesting to see if Bernie gives us his view on his situation from that period.

I'd also like to know how those who have been involved think that violent and/or escape prone prisoners should be handled by the system. Is there a better way of dealing with those prisoners who will not cooperate with the system once they have been sentenced?

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 25 May 2006 8:24:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alchemist “Thanks col, your insults are a true indication of your primitive mentality. As to being an apologist, again you show your total ignorance and ineptitude in coping with other views.”

Now my comment was in response to this little bit of judgemental garbage

“Anyone as bitter and twisted as you are on this subject”

I suggest your little hissing fits are more to do with your inability to tolerate differing opinions to your own. As for mentality, how can you possibly believe you are equipped to assess what you so clearly lack?

I suggest you get back to the junior chemistry set, maybe move up a rung (try making a silk purse from a sows ear).

Robert “if Bernie was reasonably compliant and generally kept to himself what is your take on why he was in the unit?”

Exactly Robert, if Bernie anticipated, let alone accepted any moral responsibility for his actions he would not have ended up where he did in the first place. Instead he parades all the supposed “evils” of a system put in place to protect the public and curtail the activities of the criminally intent whilst, simultaneously, seeming to reject any accountability for the circumstances he created for himself.

As for “o sung wu” - it sounds more like the title of an old George Formby song.
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 26 May 2006 2:16:27 PM
O Sung Wu, It was with pleasure I read your comments regarding Bernies experiences. You reminded me of someone who I greatly respect. It is obvious you have been associated with the (IN) Justice system. My observations and association over the past almost 10 years, shows me your attitude and opinion is of a small minority. Without genuine individuals such as yourself and the Kilo's of this world, it would be a very sad existance.
Col Rouge. You continually rant on about REMORSE, RESPONSIBILITY, and ACCOUNTABILITY. One would think you yourself don't have a clear conscence, or is this due to your family relations error in judgement when he chose to get behind the wheel of a car, drunk, and kill an innocent human being. IS HE, and as you stated, others charged with DUI causing death (Qld) are the only ones who show any 'remorse', 'responsibility'and áccountability' for their actions. According to you they are. Well, think again Col. From day of sentencing, regardless of what offence committed, ONE IN ALL IN, behind those concrete walls and razor wire, they are all treated equally. Also, for all, just for the record, could you clarify one thing? 2 years ago you mentioned your partner as being an educator within the system. Then you mentioned she interviews EVERY inmate that enters the centre she is associated with. Then you commented that she is a psychologist. Which is it, make your mind up.
RObert, In response to your inquiry 'Does Brenden send you postcards too' I wont justify that juvinile comment with a rsponse. Im sure Bernie would agree, until one walks the walk and talks the talk, or has a loved one incarcerated,only then will morons like the Col Rouges and ROberts of this world remotely begin to understand. You both seem to me to be a walking and talking classic examples of why they invented the pill.
Tilly
Posted by Stalker, Saturday, 27 May 2006 8:53:09 AM
Stalker, I'd be interested to see where I made that comment? I've checked and it was not me. I rarely go for that type of comment on these threads, not really my approach (maybe after dealing with C$A I could get tempted).

I think that I have attempted to approach the subject honestly, expressing my view on what I've see, asking questions where I really don't know etc. Can you say that you have made a genuine attempt to do the same?

Bernie still has not attempted to answer my questions about his own involvement in the unit (unless I've missed his answer). The specter has been raised of "the screws" abusing power but the indications from what I've seen here are that most suffer as a result of their own choices.

Unfortunately some innocents will suffer in any system, I'm keen to hear constructive suggestions for reducing those incidents. The horror of being charged (let alone convicted) for a crime you did not commit must be overwhelming for those who try and stay on the right side of the law.

I'm not so keen to hear about those who did the crime (in or out of prison) who object to doing the time. Bernie's article seems to be about the hardships faced by people who for the most part did the crime and did not cooperate with the consequences of their own actions. I don't see any suggestions on better ways to deal with those who fight every step of the way.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 27 May 2006 12:18:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All